Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:39:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

TRUMP No. 9: A weird fucking bumble hex

Started by Pearly-Dewdrops Drops, September 11, 2019, 05:30:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajsmith2

Quote from: olliebean on September 28, 2019, 08:46:53 AM
What? https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1177539052683309056

How does putting an apostrophe (or a hyphen) after a misspelled word make it correct?

I think his point was that he was intentionally using the colloquialism 'Liddle' as indicated by the apostrophe (although it's still in the wrong place and arguably misspelt, I think he meant 'Lid'l' as seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSfynSlRepk) instead of having misspelt 'Little'. But then in the same breath he revealed that he doesn't know the difference between a hyphen and an apostrophe, undermining his own attempt to defend his grammatical competence. WHY DOES ANYONE IN THE WORLD THINK HE HAS ANY INTELLIGENCE

ajsmith2

Quote from: Alberon on September 28, 2019, 09:18:13 AM
Cos he's on tape blackmailing Ukraine to dig up dirt on Biden.

With Russia they were willing to get information from Putin, but were too inept to manage it.

Is the tape publicly available in any way? If not, who has it?

mr. logic

They released the transcript themselves didn't they?

Alberon

Quote from: mr. logic on September 28, 2019, 10:05:24 AM
They released the transcript themselves didn't they?

It's complicated. What was released was a five page memo written after the fact by those who had listened to it. It is not a full transcript and, of course, this was prepared by the White House so could have been edited.

Looking into it more there might actually not be a tape after all and there might not even be a full transcript.

Nevertheless, it was a call made by Trump listened to by some other people. That immediately puts him far closer than any allegations in the Russia probe.

Mister Six

What makes it worse is that shortly before the call to the Ukraine leader asking for a favour, Trump suspended aid to the country. Which is obviously on the record too.

Quote from: Alberon on September 28, 2019, 10:16:05 AM
It's complicated. What was released was a five page memo written after the fact by those who had listened to it. It is not a full transcript and, of course, this was prepared by the White House so could have been edited.

Looking into it more there might actually not be a tape after all and there might not even be a full transcript.

IIRC, transcripts are made of all of the president's calls as a matter of course, but this one - mysteriously! - disappeared into a password-protected database after it was made, rather than being readily accessible internally. Apparently this has happened to more than one of Trump's calls.

(I can't remember where I read this - WaPo? - nor can I dig up the relevant article so feel free to take that bit with a pinch of salt.)

Quote from: ajsmith2 on September 28, 2019, 09:16:41 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXxztip1sI8

Look out for the odd Carl Sagan-esque emphasis on 'millions and millions' early on.

OM NOM NOM NOM, delicious schadenfreude, thank you!

olliebean

Quote from: ajsmith2 on September 28, 2019, 09:24:12 AM
I think his point was that he was intentionally using the colloquialism 'Liddle'

I assumed that, and it was a bit of a pathetic thing to pick him up on, but his response was just bizarre.

Quoteas indicated by the apostrophe (although it's still in the wrong place and arguably misspelt, I think he meant 'Lid'l' as seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSfynSlRepk) instead of having misspelt 'Little'.

Ah, OK, that makes more sense of his intention with the apostrophe. He'd probably have got away with that if he had the slightest clue what an apostrophe is or how it's used.

Ferris

Maybe he's making veiled threats to Rod Liddle

Dex Sawash

Lidl US  headquarters is just down the road from Pentagon but I can't really make a credible joke.

Quote from: Dex Sawash on September 28, 2019, 02:54:42 PM
Lidl US  headquarters is just down the road from Pentagon but I can't really make a credible joke.

Good god! I've just discovered that the US headquarters of Aldi was located in the 98th floor of the World Trade Center Building II!!!!

jobotic

Quote from: ajsmith2 on September 28, 2019, 09:15:33 AM
How is it more damaging than the Russian stuff? Genuine question here, I want to understand why the Ukraine stuff has him shitting himself whereas Russia was easily handwaved away. The accusations sound about the same to me, but I'm not the best informed.

The problem with the Russia stuff is that the actual underlying "collusion" did not really take place. And although Trump probably abused his office to clumsily try to impede the investigation (into something that didn't happen) that is fairly weak and not convincing to most of the American public.

Here there is already concrete evidence that Trump was trying to bully the Ukrainian government into playing ball on a variety of issues, including his domestic political interests, to avoid losing U.S. aid. Not just the phone call, but several other actions outlined in the whistleblower memo.

This is the kind of thing that I'm sure every single President does regarding more "legitimate" policy issues, the difference here being that Trump is rambling elderly child who goes on tangents about things he remembers from Fox News and thus started pressing the point that the Ukrainian government should investigate Joe Biden and the DNC email servers (?)

Part of the problem with the Democratic narrative is going to be that Trump is senile so much of what he was talking about appears to be nonsensical.

NJ Uncut

Movin to the country, gonna eat a lot impeaches

idunnosomename

I didnt understand what the fuck this was about but listen to tonight's PM on Radio 4 from 5pm, there's a Chatham House person who sets it out very well (followed by some contrarian who is probably also worth hearing out)

Urinal Cake

The Ukraine situation is more damaging because it's easy to understand. There's a transcript/memo where Trump asks Zelensky to investigate Biden amongst other things on the basis of future economic cooperation. It's like any mafia movie. Then you have the mob lawyer going on tv confirming it. Then you see the call in the context of a delay in military aid for no real good public reason then it makes sense.

The problem with the GOP and their case against Biden is that it's more complicated. It's not illegal for Biden Jnr to get a well paying job. But it's harder to prove that the company that hired Biden Jnr had any influence over Biden. Especially when Biden along with other people not interested in Biden Jnr helped bring a better prosecutor that actually litigated against Biden Jnr's company amongst many others. The other problem it's an aeon ago in the public's eyes.

Unlike Russia there's no self-conscious or nuanced report to read.

Twed

I haven't followed this closely because my opinion is that they should all be in jail and it's only spin and party allegiance that makes the case for one over the other. So maybe I'm getting bad information, but I have seen a video where Biden brags about withdrawing a promise of 1 billion to the Ukraine unless a prosecutor is removed. Isn't that the same thing? And is there any truth in what people are saying about the prosecutor being somebody who is running an investigation into Biden's son's company, or is that fake news?

(genuinely asking, I have no stake in this, I hate all parties involved)

Mueller had to couch his entire report in legalise. Your average person just glazes over when they read the roundabout statements that seem to fill the whole thing. If Mueller had been able to say bluntly "This dumb fuck broke the law but I can't do anything about it but congress can, if could have charged him I would have" then I'm sure the needle would have moved. Instead we got desperate tiptoeing around the ultimate conclusion and no soundbites which is what ultimately this all comes down to.

This new scandal is a whole new fresh ball game with some seriously damaging headlines to come. A lot of people are perennial Negative Nancies about this whole thing because Clinton got away with it, but Trump is seriously unpopular with everyone except his base and his impeachable crimes are way more reprehensible. Bill C lied about having an affair, people can identify with that situation, Trump sold his own country down the river to try and fuck over a political opponent, not so relatable.

Quote from: Twed on September 28, 2019, 10:20:38 PM
I haven't followed this closely because my opinion is that they should all be in jail and it's only spin and party allegiance that makes the case for one over the other. So maybe I'm getting bad information, but I have seen a video where Biden brags about withdrawing a promise of 1 billion to the Ukraine unless a prosecutor is removed. Isn't that the same thing? And is there any truth in what people are saying about the prosecutor being somebody who is running an investigation into Biden's son's company, or is that fake news?

Well that is the point I was trying to make in my post. The U.S. is a mafioso government and must routinely try to blackmail other countries into doing this. The difference is that Trump is a Fox News Grandpa who is obsessed with superficial things like an "investigation" into Joe Biden and DNC email servers.

As for the veracity of the underlying Biden story, I'm highly skeptical until I hear more because as far as I can tell this all originates from the political campaigning of an extremely corrupt sub-Trumpian politician/prosector in Ukraine who may have just made all of this up on the stump.

Hunter Biden earned 50k a month on the board of Burisma from 2014-2019 and, other than buying political influence and standing I can't think why he would be on their books.

An investigation was begun into Burisma by the Ukraine and there were multiple allegations against the chief prosecutor Viktor Shokin for corruption offenses. As part of a multi nation drive to rid Ukraine of corruption, Biden was allowed by the US government to withhold aid from them until they had fired him and replaced him with a less compromised person.

Aside from the tale as old as time lobbyist murkiness surrounding Biden's son, most people think there's not much more to this whole thing.

Urinal Cake

Yes the cases are similar but different.
-Trump was talking about economic progress in the context of buying assets (in call) and 'late' military aid (outside call). Biden was talking about loan guarantees.
-Trump as President asked this on his own behalf through his own direction of his personal lawyer and wh staff. Biden as VP was in concert with his own adminstration as well as other international neoliberal scum.
-Trump certainly did this to help his own re-election. But Biden's intervention in the end did not help the company that hired his son.
Now it looks hypocritical for Biden to tsk tsk about corruption when his son gets paid for but that's not a crime. But it's a crime if Biden Jnr was allowed to skate. This is what the GOP is interested in.

Twed

Hm, yes, that makes sense. They're all scumbags, but I appreciate the distinction more now. Thanks for explaining - I didn't want to treat a right-wing attack ad as information.

Quote from: Mr Banlon on September 30, 2019, 03:56:48 AM
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1178477539653771264

Setting aside the civil war rhetoric, it would be really tragic if something happened that created huge partisan divide between different parts of the population for the first time ever :(

Urinal Cake

Quote from: Mr Banlon on September 30, 2019, 03:56:48 AM
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1178477539653771264
The previous tweets are probably more disturbing. Quoting a religious leader who is threatening a religious war.

Quote....rid of Donald J. Trump - And the Democrats don't care if they burn down and destroy this nation in the process. I have never seen the Evangelical Christians more angry over any issue than this attempt to illegitimately remove this President from office, overturn the 2016....
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
2h
....Election, and negate the votes of millions of Evangelicals in the process. They know the only Impeachable offense that President Trump has committed was beating Hillary Clinton in 2016. That's the unpardonable sin for which the Democrats will never forgive him.....

Oh god, not the Evangelicals! If the Democrats don't watch out, the Evangelicals are going to start voting Republican.

Urinal Cake

Those guys love a Holy War. I mean they'd first start with the Catholics but still.

Urinal Cake

Tom Winter
@Tom_Winter
NBC News: A Justice Department official confirms that President Trump recently asked the Prime Minister of Australia, over the phone, for help in a Justice Department effort to look into the origins of the Mueller probe,
@PeteWilliamsNBC
reports.

First reported by the NY Times.
Australia enters the ring. I wonder what Trump offered?

Ferris

Threatening to arrest Adam Schiff for treason via twitter is an interesting move.

Not least because a) it's completely fucking mental that the above is a real sentence, and b) because it implies that, yes, what Schiff described would be impeachable but ah ha ha that is not what occurred, but we can all read the transcript and see that is exactly what occurred.

What a year.

Norton Canes

I do find it amusing that the GOP playbook in all these things is to attack the legality of the process that ended up bringing this to public knowledge and completely ignore the actual crime. It's just about all they've got which shows how much Donnie has gone done fucked up this time.

I could quite easily forsee a situation where Trump is reported for sexually assaulting an intern and the GOP coming straight out with a "HER BUILDING PASS HAD RUN OUT AND SHE WAS NO LONGER AN EMPLOYEE, WHAT WAS SHE DOING IN THE WHITE HOUSE ANYWAY!?" defence.