Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:41:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

TRUMP No. 9: A weird fucking bumble hex

Started by Pearly-Dewdrops Drops, September 11, 2019, 05:30:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Obama's DoJ was pretty tight on VRA enforcement, to be fair.

The problem was that the SC gutted a lot of its powers in Shelby County v. Holder, by which time (2013) a Republican Congress saw no reason to restore them. Lewis's bill was the first passed by the Dem-controlled House in 2019.

Paul Calf

Trump will still be President this time next year.

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 30, 2020, 09:23:48 PM

You think he'll win the election or that there will be some kind of fuckery? I think it'll be a landslide in Sleepy Joe's favour to the point that no amount of fuckery will overcome.

Ferris

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 30, 2020, 09:23:48 PM

He's certainly going about it a mad way. 6-8 points underwater in all the battlegrounds, parping on about the economy when its in the shitter, and 150k dead and even he's admitting "it'll get worse before it gets better".

I think too much is made of a general polling error in 2016 and yer man's "4D chess". I'd be surprised if he won at this point.

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 30, 2020, 09:48:04 PM

I think too much is made of a general polling error in 2016 and yer man's "4D chess"

Another interesting bit of thinking this time around is that 3rd party candidates hardly have any chance of getting near the 6% of the vote they got last time. People know it's Biden or nothing if they want to get rid of a certain 300 pounds of excrement in a badly tailored suit from the White House.

The 4D chess bit has always been said in jest a little bit but he's never even got to the point of playing 1D Connect 4 if that's what you want to call his simple dogwhistle populism.

idunnosomename

love him plugging a long island pizza restaurant on twitter

Alberon

Republicans in the House and in the Senate have been quick to try to kill the idea of delaying the election.

QuoteSenate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy both dismissed the idea.

Senator McConnell said no US presidential election had ever been delayed before.

"Never in the history of this country, through wars, depressions and the Civil War, have we ever not had a federally scheduled election on time. We will find a way to do that again this November third," he told local Kentucky station WNKY.

Mr McCarthy echoed him. "Never in the history of the federal elections have we ever not held an election and we should go forward with our election," he said.

Trump ally Senator Lindsay Graham meanwhile said a delay was "not a good idea".

The Democrat led House will never agree to a delay and without McConnell the Senate won't either.

Probably a case of Republicans thinking about what's best for them rather than what's best for Trump.

Thomas

Quote from: idunnosomename on July 30, 2020, 09:59:34 PM
love him plugging a long island pizza restaurant on twitter

Just preparing the cover story for when Emily Maitlis interviews him about Maxwell and Epstein.

Wonderful Butternut

I think too much is made of a general polling error in 2016 and yer man's "4D chess". I'd be surprised if he won at this point.

The main obstacle for Mr. Biden the Talking Corpse will be the debates. It's well established that Trump is liable is to come out with anything between vague lucidity and expressing a genuine belief that he is an onion. And his support base continue to either believe his nonsense or tolerate his more deranged ramblings as unimportant cos "the economy" & "Democrats will raise taxes". So I think there's a limit to how much support he could talk himself out of in the debates, no matter what nutty nonsense he comes out with.

Biden though could be damaged by not seeming strong enough on law and order and lose 'centrist' voters. Then again he might seem too strong on law and order and not strong enough on police brutality and casual racism and cause leftwing voters to vote third party (especially if the polls leading up put him miles ahead where there'll be less perceived risk of Trump getting back in) or return blank ballots. Which could also happen if he accidentally drops too many reminders that he's a privileged white old man who probably won't shake the unequal capitalist apple cart too much.

Finally, he might just come across as a corpse that's been trained to speak.

The Culture Bunker

Biden's issue may be when it comes to the live debates, whether they can pump him full of enough stimulants that will last the duration in the hope he suddenly doesn't start singing "I am the music man, I come from Kazakhstan".

I suspect the mission is to convince enough voters who would otherwise not bother (over 40%) that he's just about a better option than Trump to make them turn up on the day.

Mister Six

Quote from: Barry Admin on July 30, 2020, 08:20:38 PM
No. Bringing up Lewis' voting bill is appropriate, but turning a man's funeral into a full-on political rally doesn't sit at all well with me.

Obama was a useless twat as a president and has been a conniving little fuck since (finding the time to jab at young progressives during the Dem primaries but only occasionally remarking on Trump's various awful facets over the past four years) but making this point at the funeral of a man who was defined by a lifetime of struggle against white oppression of black people - including at the polls - is fair game, and I'm sure he would have had a word with the family about it beforehand. It's not like giving this speech at Keith Chegwin's birthday party or something.

Dog Botherer

conveniently for Biden even if he does win the Dems are unlikely to flip the Senate so he can spend the first two years of his presidency doing fuck all except making things slightly worse.

rjd2

He's certainly going about it a mad way. 6-8 points underwater in all the battlegrounds, parping on about the economy when its in the shitter, and 150k dead and even he's admitting "it'll get worse before it gets better".

The amusing thing about the economy is the deficit hawks in the GOP are crying about debt and over the top spending. They seem unaware of the terrible employment numbers and the fact that right now it looks a wipeout in November, but nope "MUH FISCAL CONSERVATISM" .

https://www.axios.com/ben-sasse-steven-mnuchin-stimulus-b68d22fd-bc4f-43e3-8bfa-c11b7877cdc5.html

Quote from: Dog Botherer on July 31, 2020, 01:56:14 AM
conveniently for Biden even if he does win the Dems are unlikely to flip the Senate so he can spend the first two years of his presidency doing fuck all except making things slightly worse.

Unlikely to flip the Senate? They have an increasingly good chance of doing it, only one seat is likely to flip to R and there are 5 races that are toss ups or favour the Dems to flip the seats. Yes it'll be tough but definitely not unlikely.

steve98

One sneaky trick the Reps might pull is to illegally cast postal votes for the Dems, which sneakiness will then be "discovered" if the Reps lose. A dozen fraudulent votes here, a dozen there, it wouldn't take much for Trump to declare the whole thing rigged and void.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Nice Relaxing Poo on July 30, 2020, 09:46:12 PM
You think he'll win the election or that there will be some kind of fuckery? I think it'll be a landslide in Sleepy Joe's favour to the point that no amount of fuckery will overcome.

Bush 2000. And this fucker's team has more traction on the levers and wheels of power than Bush's ever did. I wouldn't be shocked to see a 'surprise' result here.

Paul Calf

And also, the best you can get on Trump in the 2020 election is 17/10. The betting markets don't think it's that unlikely, despite polling.

(Although they did get burned badly in 2016 and might be setting odds defensively).

evilcommiedictator

hahaha fuck you Iannucci, you couldn't even write something like this

ajsmith2

Pleasantly surprised to see him defending Chibnall's era though (I'm assuming there's a comma missing after 'Who' in that caption).

steve98

That "Demon Semen's", gonna run and run. I can see it (for example) replacing "Time Of The Month" as an excuse for not wantin' sex "Not tonight sweety, I've been Demonized." Or "The spunky Demons are upon me"

Ferris

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 31, 2020, 08:48:52 AM
And also, the best you can get on Trump in the 2020 election is 17/10. The betting markets don't think it's that unlikely, despite polling.

(Although they did get burned badly in 2016 and might be setting odds defensively).

They are absolutely pricing defensively.

Look at it this way - if Biden was down by 9 points nationally, 6-8 points in every battleground state, had a -15 approval rating (and had never gone above -10 in the previous 3 years), had pretty clearly dropped the ball on a pandemic killing 150,000 people, and the economy was tanking, and had alienated a lot of his key base (including oldies and suburbanites) you'd laugh at anyone saying he was favourite to win. Doubly so when you bear in mind the republicans haven't won the popular vote since 1988.

Trump had 2016 which is looking like a complete fluke because Hillary was so fucking toxic, and people are happy to disbelieve the evidence in front of them because "you never know!"

kngen

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on July 30, 2020, 08:08:24 PM
It's really sad, the Democrats would have been likely to win with any candidate after this, but they went with a really shit choice just like in 2016.

Sanders would probably have won despite the establishment media given how badly Trump is doing. Instead we have Biden, who stands for nothing but the elite. Better than Trump sure, but that's a very low bar.

The only saving grace is that we're not going to end up with President Bloomberg, which was what the DNC really wanted. If I have to endure four years of neoliberal bullshit before they hand back power to the GOP, I'd rather it be served up by someone amusingly baffled rather than that snivelling little cunt (someone who would see Trump's federal bootboys rampaging through US cities, and think: 'Wahey, I'll have a bit of that!')[nb]A Biden administration probably will too, of course.[/nb]

Barry Admin

Regards the chat a few pages back about him wanting to stay put, he suggested delaying the election for the first time ever: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/31/politics/trump-election-delay-global-consequences-intl/index.html

Guy is absolutely shiteing it.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Barry Admin on August 01, 2020, 05:16:48 AM
Regards the chat a few pages back about him wanting to stay put, he suggested delaying the election for the first time ever: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/31/politics/trump-election-delay-global-consequences-intl/index.html

Guy is absolutely shiteing it.
Well, he has recently made one of his backers Postmaster General, which I'm sure is a totally above-board move.

Quote from: rjd2 on July 31, 2020, 04:44:23 AM
The amusing thing about the economy is the deficit hawks in the GOP are crying about debt and over the top spending. They seem unaware of the terrible employment numbers and the fact that right now it looks a wipeout in November, but nope "MUH FISCAL CONSERVATISM" .

https://www.axios.com/ben-sasse-steven-mnuchin-stimulus-b68d22fd-bc4f-43e3-8bfa-c11b7877cdc5.html

But all the money that the GOP has thrown at the wall under Trump's Presidency is going to make that card harder to play. Dems can just compare the debt in 2020 to 2016, a far greater increase than under Clinton or Obama surely?

Dog Botherer

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on August 01, 2020, 10:37:10 AM
But all the money that the GOP has thrown at the wall under Trump's Presidency is going to make that card harder to play. Dems can just compare the debt in 2020 to 2016, a far greater increase than under Clinton or Obama surely?

no one apart from 5 never trump conservatives actually gives a fuck about the deficet. it's just an excuse to punish the poors.

Blumf

On my semi-regular check in to the great political cartoonist Ben Garrison, I see this:

https://grrrgraphics.com/big-tech-censorship

Subtle message there.

Mister Six

How many drafts of that had the logos spelling "fag" along the top row before he wimped out and moved the Google logo to the second row?

Spoon of Ploff

Quote from: Blumf on August 02, 2020, 12:33:51 PM
On my semi-regular check in to the great political cartoonist Ben Garrison, I see this:

https://grrrgraphics.com/big-tech-censorship

Subtle message there.

is no one going to address the elephant in the room re. this image?

Ferris

Quote from: Spoon of Ploff on August 02, 2020, 01:18:56 PM
is no one going to address the elephant in the room re. this image?

Trump's BMI as depicted vs reality?