Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:59:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

9/11 - she's a big girl now

Started by touchingcloth, September 11, 2019, 08:49:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Oscar Bluth II

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/377947866641485824?lang=en

Quote"@realDonaldTrump
: I would like to extend my best wishes to all, even the haters and losers, on this special date, September 11th."

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I read about it on NOTBBC. Some cunt was complaining about that night's episode of " Crossroads" being cancelled.
I remember where I was when I heard the first hilarious joke about it, too ( in a dodgy pub in Vilnius).

BlodwynPig

Quote from: imitationleather on September 11, 2019, 09:24:47 AM
Will never forget that date as it was the first time I was ever spit-roasted.

It was the first time I guided a commercial jet into a high rise

dr_christian_troy

I was at school, skiving off Games. Sitting in the Common Room, a teacher ran in panicked saying "America is being attacked!" and then wheeled the TV in. I saw more or less all of it unfold following the first tower being hit.

Perhaps most disturbingly, school kids went to find people as they were coming off the sports field to tell them what was happening - a fair few of the pupils were American with relatives in New York.

George Oscar Bluth II

Was CaB running back then? How quickly was biggy deriding the "official version" of events?

Chollis

Puce Moment

On a serious point, if it had had a profound effect on American foreign policy and their tendency to ignorantly intervene in Global Politics, sending tanks and drones in to destabalise regions of the world, creating power vacuums and compounding problems, then I would tentatively say that it might have been something that needed to happen. The chickens came home to roost, and the violence asserted on the rest of the world eventually (and perhaps inevitably) bounced back on mainland America.

But none of that happened and those in power didn't learn. They just threw more lighter fluid on the fire.

imitationleather

I always felt that America took 9/11 way too personally.

poo

Thought the whole thing was a bit childish tbh

idunnosomename

i remember. it was the day.... I saw an eagle cry.

sponk

Nye Nelevan? Wasn't he the bloke who invented the NHS?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Did anyone else not have a clue what the twin towers were until they got stoved in? I knew what the Empire State Building was in New York, but these I had no idea as to their significance. One large building in Manhattan looks very much like another to me.

idunnosomename

Of course i did they were the tallest buildings in the world when i were a lad. Also the simpsons

Icehaven

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on September 11, 2019, 03:57:43 PM
Did anyone else not have a clue what the twin towers were until they got stoved in? I knew what the Empire State Building was in New York, but these I had no idea as to their significance. One large building in Manhattan looks very much like another to me.

No I'd never heard of the World Trade Centre before 9/11 either. I suppose they didn't hold the same symbolic fame outside America or tourist appeal that things like the Empire State building, Statue of Liberty etc. do (other than the viewing platforms, which any number of other NY skyscrapers probably have too.)   

Head Gardener

I went to the roof of the Twin Towers in 1980, I took loads of pics too as I spent a week in NYC (the record shops back then were incredible, entire supermarket racks full of bootlegs etc!)
I even took a helicopter ride over Manhattan taking film and all but coming back through customs all my efforts were to be wiped by a scanner at the airport, at least that is what I've had
to tell myself all these years as all my rolls of film were blank when I tried to get them developed.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on September 11, 2019, 03:57:43 PM
Did anyone else not have a clue what the twin towers were until they got stoved in?

Of course I did, I watched the 1976 King Kong film and had this poster on my wall:

Head Gardener

originally mixed and recorded live 2 days after the event

Bowie  :  Future Legend
The White Stripes : Dead Leaves & The Dirty Ground
Guided By Voices : Now To War
Soul Coughing : Is Chicago, Is Not Chicago
Eardrum : Escape From Evil
Underworld : Mmm.. Skyscraper I Love You
Bomb The Bass : Dark Heart ~ Sabres Mix
Revolutionary Corps Of Teenage Jesus : Daddy Died
David Holmes : Don't Die Just Yet
Techno Animal : Freefall

listen

checkoutgirl

Quote from: thenoise on September 11, 2019, 09:20:47 AM
Have they finished the replacement one yet?

They've built just on skyscraper near it, but you have to pay to get into it if memory serves me. The twin towers bit is like two big square four sided waterfalls that go into the ground. It's quite nice.

Icehaven

I've mentioned this before but when they first announced the plans to build a memorial on the footprint of where the towers had been, I thought they meant it was going to be as deep as the towers were high. ''Quite a feat of engineering that'll be'' I thought, ''although they'll have to make sure it's difficult to fall down it.'' What a fucking fillet. Would have looked cool though.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Head Gardener on September 11, 2019, 04:58:12 PM

originally mixed and recorded live 2 days before the event

Bowie  :  Future Legend
The White Stripes : Dead Leaves & The Dirty Ground
Guided By Voices : Now To War
Soul Coughing : Is Chicago, Is Not Chicago
Eardrum : Escape From Evil
Underworld : Mmm.. Skyscraper I Love You
Bomb The Bass : Dark Heart ~ Sabres Mix
Revolutionary Corps Of Teenage Jesus : Daddy Died
David Holmes : Don't Die Just Yet
Techno Animal : Freefall

listen

blimey

BlodwynPig

Quote from: icehaven on September 11, 2019, 05:18:06 PM
I've mentioned this before but when they first announced the plans to build a memorial on the footprint of where the towers had been, I thought they meant it was going to be as deep as the towers were high. ''Quite a feat of engineering that'll be'' I thought, ''although they'll have to make sure it's difficult to fall down it.'' What a fucking fillet. Would have looked cool though.

So now we are doing "do you remember what you were doing on the day they announced the plans to build a memorial for the twin towers"?

Icehaven

Quote from: BlodwynPig on September 11, 2019, 05:18:58 PM
So now we are doing "do you remember what you were doing on the day they announced the plans to build a memorial for the twin towers"?

It wasn't even just one day, I thought that for ages. It was only when I saw a picture I realised how ridiculous that would have been. And I don't remember what I was doing, other than making such a stupid assumption. Drinking probably.

JesusAndYourBush

Here's a collection of tributes & song parodies (mainly song parodies) I downloaded from peer to peer networks in the immediate aftermath of 9/11.

https://mega.nz/#!JQgxlaTY!bn_ZTzHHV8311JLinD81WrIhdUMs2_GEDPHAlm9j9Qg

(Credit for the image goes to, I think, a CaBber, unless they were reposting it from elsewhere.)

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on September 11, 2019, 01:32:34 PM
Was CaB running back then? How quickly was biggy deriding the "official version" of events?

Yes.  Not at all, as he wasn't around back then.

As I recall the thread was about two pages of people going "WHOAH!!" and "YESSSS!!" with lots of stuff about chickens coming home to roost etc., before TJ (an ex-mod of this site) came along and told everyone off as he had friends that were involved.  The conversation then sobered up a lot and carried on for many more pages.

To be fair, at the point of the thread first starting, the sheer size of the human tragedy (jumpers etc.) wasn't immediately apparent.

As for me I, surprisingly, didn't type anything.  I'd signed up in early August that year but didn't post anything until mid-October.

EDIT: It was already off the front page of GB by mid-October, looking at http://web.archive.org/web/20011023074632/http://chilled.cream.org/verbwhores/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=1

Unfortunately clicking back to previous pages doesn't work as all of the subsequent grabs are May 2002 or later, some of them being mid-2003.

In any case it seems that almost none of the threads got archived anyway.  Maybe someone better than me at driving the Wayback Machine might be able to drag something out of it, but don't hold your breath...

Head Gardener

yeah sorry this is yesterdays news but this is the Bee Gees spin

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Head Gardener on September 12, 2019, 08:07:16 AM
yeah sorry this is yesterdays news but this is the Bee Gees spin

Arse. Came here just to post that.