Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:55:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

9/11 - she's a big girl now

Started by touchingcloth, September 11, 2019, 08:49:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FqHx7pFs9Q

I was at college so only managed to get home to watch the towers fall. Luckily able to watch the highlights later on the news.

Petey Pate

I may have shared this before, but here is a cut of early morning news footage from September 11 2001, before the attacks happens.

'There is something in the air...'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMVTB2aVUg0

EOLAN

Well like many others; I bought a newspaper the day after. Obviously pages after pages of coverage of the events in Eastern United States. Then on page 12 they finally broke with Sophia Loren looking quite delicious just a week before her 67th birthday and another photo of some quite attractive Thai trans-women that were visiting Ireland who looked equally fetching.

king_tubby

I've still got a copy of the Guardian from the day after.

Can you imagine the Observer running with the Morris/Iannucci pisstake now?

Petey Pate

Quote from: king_tubby on September 12, 2019, 11:51:32 AMCan you imagine the Observer running with the Morris/Iannucci pisstake now?

That wasn't published the day after, surely?

I recall that The Onion did a special issue devoted to 9/11, but that wasn't released until a couple of weeks after.

Someone once told me that the Morning Star didn't mention the attacks on it's front page the day after, but I've never found out whether this is actually true.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: Petey Pate on September 12, 2019, 11:59:24 AM
I recall that The Onion did a special issue devoted to 9/11, but that wasn't released until a couple of weeks after.

king_tubby

Quote from: Petey Pate on September 12, 2019, 11:59:24 AM
That wasn't published the day after, surely?

Sorry, yeah, should have made that clearer.

EOLAN

Quote from: king_tubby on September 12, 2019, 11:51:32 AM

Can you imagine the Observer running with the Morris/Iannucci pisstake now?

The Armando Ianucci Show was starting around then. Had an episode after they had all been edited (filmed well before the events - I am sure) of the Twin Towers being attacked; am sure others can recall it better; but did have to move that episode from early in the run to the last show.

king_tubby

Heh.

Quote24th: Hosting the film Baftas, Stephen Fry delivers an unspeakably trite and fucked-up heap of shit urging film makers to 'keep telling stories' in the face of world events - as if films make any fucking difference to anything, least of all the advancement of peace, as if in fact they don't more often promote, through piss like Black Hawk Down, the very surfeit of self-regarding superiority that makes the American West so unpopular in the first place. Naturally the audience of actors and industry luvvies spontaneously applaud like the blinkered, solipsistic, self-congratulating cunts they are.

Link to the full thing if anyone hasn't read it: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2002/mar/17/september11.terrorism

idunnosomename

Was it in the guardian or the times there was a feature that was poster-like, including the quote "Yesssss!" attributed to "initial reaction of many people who later claimed to be appalled". I seem to recall it was iannucci. huh.

Ambient Sheep

Smokehammer in The Observer by Iannucci and Morris.

EDIT: Or not... but is that article the full thing?  There was also the annotated poster and I'm not sure if those are the annotations or not.

I kept it but have now probably lost it.

Icehaven

Quote from: Petey Pate on September 12, 2019, 11:39:39 AM
I may have shared this before, but here is a cut of early morning news footage from September 11 2001, before the attacks happens.

'There is something in the air...'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMVTB2aVUg0

Those comments are great for making you feel old, ''I was in 1st/4th/8th grade.'', ''It was my 12th birthday'' etc.

And yeah lots of them mention the eeriness of the 'something in the air' bit, but aren't there hundreds and hundreds of TV news stations across the States? Wouldn't have been that hard to sift through enough to find a few seemingly portentious soundbites.

chveik

Quote from: king_tubby on September 12, 2019, 12:38:03 PM
Link to the full thing if anyone hasn't read it: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2002/mar/17/september11.terrorism

this is great

QuoteThe Pentagon denies reports of civilian casualties and adds that even if there were some, they couldn't be shown in case they 'died in shapes that could be code'.

Cuellar

Quote24th: Hosting the film Baftas, Stephen Fry delivers an unspeakably trite and fucked-up heap of shit urging film makers to 'keep telling stories' in the face of world events - as if films make any fucking difference to anything, least of all the advancement of peace, as if in fact they don't more often promote, through piss like Black Hawk Down, the very surfeit of self-regarding superiority that makes the American West so unpopular in the first place. Naturally the audience of actors and industry luvvies spontaneously applaud like the blinkered, solipsistic, self-congratulating cunts they are.

lol

jobotic

I bought that when it was published but stupidly didn't keep it. The only bit I remembered was the Stephen Fry bit. It's great.

At least two people I knew thought this place was planed

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: king_tubby on September 12, 2019, 12:38:03 PMLink to the full thing if anyone hasn't read it: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2002/mar/17/september11.terrorism

Even back then...

QuoteThe US public is still so sensitive to images of New York that Woody Allen is forced to remake Manhattan shot for shot but with all views of the city taken out. Furious that the new version, Quebec, will lack resonance, the director comforts himself by giving the part of Diane Keaton to eight 17-year-old girls.

Head Gardener

weekender

Quote from: Petey Pate on September 12, 2019, 11:59:24 AMI recall that The Onion did a special issue devoted to 9/11, but that wasn't released until a couple of weeks after

I think that's right about the special, but I'm sure The Onion had some articles up by the end of the week as well - 9/11 was on a Tuesday, and I distinctly remember going to the pub on the Friday with a couple of printed out articles, one of which was along the lines of "Hijackers surprised to find themselves in hell, not heaven".  I think they took them down pretty quickly though, and maybe formed part of the later special. 

Edit: cursory research suggests my memory is wrong.

sponk

Quote from: sponk on September 15, 2019, 12:37:58 PM
https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/28711191/six-months-chris-morris

Proper scans of the full thing with pics an all.

"If you run the tape backwards the towers stand up again..." blatantly nicked from Bill Hicks' Rodney King but. "If you play the tape backwards you see the officers help King up and send him on his way"