Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:11:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pulp Fiction

Started by madhair60, September 12, 2019, 08:44:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Just rewatched this, working through the Tarantino box set still, I thought it was good. Even the bit with QT in it being Jimmie didn't bother me as much as I expected

As Sam Jackson explained to Ebert in their interview, the film is all about redemption.

Which makes me wonder about the purpose of the Zed scene. Is it Tarantino's redemption fantasy of a white man saving a black man - in literal bondage - from the buttfucking hillbilly, and thereby redeeming himself? I suppose it is.

And it makes sense as a metaphor. Butch's reluctance, his dilly-dallying and hand-wringing over 'just the right way' to do it. And his blithe lack of concern for the suffering that goes on while he carefully ponders the solution.

idunnosomename

john travolta did a poo in the suitcase while bruce willis was cooking the pop tart.

lipsink

Interesting fact. The woman who plays Raquel ("Say Goodnight, Raquel") and the man who played the gimp were married at the time. They're now divorced.

Travolta really wasted the little bit of goodwill he purchased with his Pulp Fiction comeback, didn't he? Battlefield Earth was the final nail in the coffin. Not only a bad film, but a personal passion project. Turned himself into a laughing stock with that one, and never recovered.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Default to the negative on September 12, 2019, 07:11:24 PM
Travolta really wasted the little bit of goodwill he purchased with his Pulp Fiction comeback, didn't he? Battlefield Earth was the final nail in the coffin. Not only a bad film, but a personal passion project. Turned himself into a laughing stock with that one, and never recovered.
'Get Shorty' must have been very soon after that, which I did enjoy. And 'Face Off' was a nice enough action flick, helped along by Cage doing his usual antics, but I'm not sure he's done much else of worth beyond that. He was a decent enough villain in the (second) Punisher film, I guess.

bgmnts

Quote from: Default to the negative on September 12, 2019, 09:56:30 AM
As Sam Jackson explained to Ebert in their interview, the film is all about Tarantino wanting to say the N word repeatedly redemption

mothman

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on September 12, 2019, 07:24:41 PM
He was a decent enough villain in the (second) Punisher film, I guess.

And that's fifteen years ago! Verging on a "more time has passed since The Punisher than separates his big break picture (Saturday Night Fever) and his big comeback (PF)" factoid.

(OK, it's actually 17 years between SNF & PF, but still...)

greenman

'Get Shorty' must have been very soon after that, which I did enjoy. And 'Face Off' was a nice enough action flick, helped along by Cage doing his usual antics, but I'm not sure he's done much else of worth beyond that. He was a decent enough villain in the (second) Punisher film, I guess.

Really I think Michael and Phenomenon killed off his Pulp Fiction/Get Shorty credibility pretty quickly and he relaunched himself as an over the top badguy for hire with Broken Arrow and Face Off instead, carried on getting those roles for another decade even with Battlefield Earth.

Goldentony

I never hear any talk for Bruce Willis' pronunciation and delivery of "...someone's gonna get they motherfuckinHEADBLOWNoff"

McFlymo

I mean, who doesn't want to watch Ving Rhames in some man on man bumming action?

Sebastian Cobb

Plop Fiction, more like!!

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 13, 2019, 02:28:47 PM
Plop Fiction, more like!!

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 12, 2019, 03:01:03 PM
john travolta did a poo in the suitcase while bruce willis was cooking the pop tart.

This isn't really up to the standard, is it?

beanheadmcginty

Butch's girlfriend in this is one of the most irritating characters in cinema history.

lipsink

He was also good fun in Broken Arrow so he seemed to have a great run between Pulp Fiction and Face/Off. But after that? Jeez. Some people just seem to be really awful at choosing scripts.

Mister Six

Watched Pulp Fiction with a bunch of recovering heroin addicts. The conclusion upon watching the shooting up scene was that Travolta definitely knows how good heroin feels.

bgmnts

I take it those slagging Travolta haven't seen Gotti yet.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: bgmnts on September 13, 2019, 04:53:43 PM
I take it those slagging Travolta haven't seen Gotti yet.

...depends in what sense you're about to refer to Gotti.  Cos it's fucking abysmal and Travolta's Razzie nom was well deserved.

Blumf

Why was Travolta out of work before PF?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Blumf on September 13, 2019, 11:04:32 PM

This really depends on how much you consider the Look Who's Talking series, and the other two films he made in the early 90's before pf as 'work'.

They were for the cunts watching them!! etc

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Blumf on September 13, 2019, 11:04:32 PM

He wasn't out of work - he worked pretty solidly (and always has done) - but, aside from Look Who's Talking (which did badly critically but made a fuck load at the box office), he'd not had a well received film, critically or commercially, since Blow Out (which was still a bit of a box office failure).

He did a few half decent film after his little mid 90s comeback/peak - like A Civil Action, Basic, The General's Daughter (in all of which he plays a very similar sort of role) and Swordfish.  The film itself is no great shakes, but he's as good in Be Cool as he was in Get Shorty.  And the remake of The Taking of Pelham 123 has a pretty large fanbase.  But it's true that most of his work is dogshit - either the film is terrible or he is.  More often than not, both.  It's not even as if he's a terrible actor - he's done several very very decent performances (including Pulp Fiction) but, for whatever reason, he's just REALLY bad more often.

mothman

I wonder if he can still afford his private airliner? I think he actually qualified as a pilot for KLM or something, and remember once seeing him giving a press conference at Heathrow after flying in...

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: mothman on September 13, 2019, 11:21:39 PM
I wonder if he can still afford his private airliner? I think he actually qualified as a pilot for KLM or something, and remember once seeing him giving a press conference at Heathrow after flying in...

Most of his money goes on hair transplants now.

mothman

Ah, it's Qantas. And he's decided to donate his Boeing 707 to a museum in Australia. Still has four other planes though.

EDIT: here's his house...

https://goo.gl/maps/CzzuSkyV6a8w7SXU7

Shit Good Nose

Ooh, controversial - slap bang next to The Helping Hands of Jesus Church.  L. Ron must be rolling in his grave.

And check out the redneck houses nearly opposite - definitely some cock fighting going on in those substantial gardens.

mothman

Stalkery as it sounds, I was trying to figure out how you actually reach all these houses by road, apart from driving down the runway. Don't seem to be any obvious roads in.

Twed

That's why he's called John Tree-Vaulter.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: mothman on September 13, 2019, 11:49:50 PM
Stalkery as it sounds, I was trying to figure out how you actually reach all these houses by road, apart from driving down the runway. Don't seem to be any obvious roads in.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 14, 2019, 12:02:00 AM

If you did that on an actual map, in your shed, with thread and pins you'd be a really crap John Nash.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 14, 2019, 12:20:52 AM
If you did that on an actual map, in your shed, with thread and pins you'd be a really crap John Nash.

Feds/SWAT busting down my door in about three hours.