Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,472
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:21:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pulp Fiction

Started by madhair60, September 12, 2019, 08:44:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 14, 2019, 12:02:00 AM

Wow. Interesting that the rich cunts section still has undeveloped plots. I guess not everyone wants to live on Jumbolair Aviation Estates next to John Travolta.

Twed

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 14, 2019, 12:22:01 AM
Feds/SWAT busting down my door in about three hours.
Feds Durst

Sorry I'm just typing really.

NJ Uncut

beanheadmcginty

Considering how fucking amazing a dancer he is in Saturday Night Fever, why didn't Travolta do more dancing films?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on September 14, 2019, 11:34:16 AM
Considering how fucking amazing a dancer he is in Saturday Night Fever, why didn't Travolta do more dancing films?

I've often wondered the same (if we ignore the little moves he does in most of his films - you wouldn't call them a dance).  He didn't want to be typecast I guess, especially considering he can actually act as well.  He's very similar to Stallone - when he puts his own mind to it, invests in the characterm isn't doing it for the money, and has the right director and the right dialogue, he's an amazing actor.  Without those things he's utter dogshit.

bgmnts

Being good at dancing is a bit of a stereotype for being gay isnt it? At least back then.

Travolta maybe wanted to get as far away from that as possible.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: bgmnts on September 14, 2019, 03:46:14 PM
Being good at dancing is a bit of a stereotype for being gay isnt it? At least back then.

Travolta maybe wanted to get as far away from that as possible.

Well, there IS the long-standing rumour (RUMOUR) that David Miscavige has got "proof" (including video footage) that Travolta likes some cock, and that's the reason why he (Travolta) hasn't left Scientology (which, as another rumour - RUMOUR - has it, he's desperate to get out of).

Sebastian Cobb

It's really a shame that he seems to think that being gay is less acceptable/odder than being a Scientologist then isn't it?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 14, 2019, 04:04:56 PM
It would allegedly really be a shame that he might allegedly possibly seem to think that being gay is less acceptable/odder than being a Scientologist then isn't it?  Allegedly.

Fixed - RUMOUR!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 14, 2019, 04:04:56 PM
It's really a shame that he seems to think that being gay is less acceptable/odder than being a Scientologist then isn't it?

I always thought that if they do have dirt on him, it's probably something worse than being gay.

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on September 13, 2019, 03:18:46 PM
Butch's girlfriend in this is one of the most irritating characters in cinema history.

That hotel-room scene has to be one of the great "it's okay, you can run to the toilet now, nothing good's gonna be happening for ten minutes or so" scenes in cinema history. Pretty much right in the middle of the film, isn't it? I'm three-quarters convinced that QT designed it that way.

Twed

Main thing I remember about that scene is being 15 and my friend's confusion about her moaning before Butch had started giving her oral pleasure.

Craig mate.

lipsink

The first time I watched that hotel room scene I remember thinking any minute Marsellus' guys were going to burst in. I was on the edge of my seat and the tension was unbearable. I'm not sure if that was the intention though.

I think on reflection the reason Butch is having continuous nightmares about his dad is because having killed the boxer and not feeling "the least bit bad about it" he's turning into the opposite of everything his dad stood for - loyalty, having responsibilities for another man. He continues down a road of becoming a cold blooded killer by killing Vince and his salvation is his conscience kicking in and him saving Marsellus. Its fits in with the redemption theme someone upthread mentioned.

Rewatching Pulp Fiction recently it does feel way too long but I have no idea what could get cut. The last 40 minutes after the Gold Watch is still brilliant but feels like too much pudding at that point.

Dex Sawash

buzby

Quote from: mothman on September 13, 2019, 11:49:50 PM
Stalkery as it sounds, I was trying to figure out how you actually reach all these houses by road, apart from driving down the runway. Don't seem to be any obvious roads in.
There is a gated entrance on Route 200A to access the NE 84th Street and the network of taxiways.

Athough he donated the ex-Qantas 707 to the Australian Historic Aircraft Restoration Society two years ago, it's currently grounded at an Golden Isles Airfield in Georgia as it needs an estimated $2m of work to return it to flight that they need to raise money for. Travolta's original plan was to fly it back to Australia for the handover this month as publicity for the speaking tour he's doing there, but presumably he wasn't prepared to stump up the $2m to make it airworthy to do so.

kngen

My mate was down there a few weeks ago (Travolta is, rather out of the blue, now a friend of a friend of his) and he says the house is the weirdest fucking thing. You can kind of see it from the Google map, but you drive up the entrance, and where you expect to see a bunch of swank cars in the driveway beside the house, there's planes instead. It's basically an airport with a house attached, but the front room (which is enormous) is done out like a 60s Pan-Am departure lounge, with all manner of air memorabilia in there, so I suppose he loves the idea of actually living in an airport. On the other side of the control tower is a 'hotel' where he apparently puts up pilots and air crews who are passing through (Are they dropping planes off? Are they borrowing them? Fuck knows. But that's what it's there for.) That's where my mate stayed with his girlfriend for a couple of nights. Very swank in it's own right, apparently.

He also said that JT was quite the host, and - judging by the pics and vids he showed me - a blast to get drunk with.

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on September 14, 2019, 11:34:16 AM

After trying to get away from the dancer label for decades after mega-hits Grease and Saturday Night Fever, it's kind of funny that Pulp Fiction and it's famous dance revived his career. He danced with Princess Diana at a thing in real life too.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: kngen on September 27, 2019, 07:42:45 PM
My mate was down there a few weeks ago (Travolta is, rather out of the blue, now a friend of a friend of his) and he says the house is the weirdest fucking thing. You can kind of see it from the Google map, but you drive up the entrance, and where you expect to see a bunch of swank cars in the driveway beside the house, there's planes instead. It's basically an airport with a house attached, but the front room (which is enormous) is done out like a 60s Pan-Am departure lounge, with all manner of air memorabilia in there, so I suppose he loves the idea of actually living in an airport. On the other side of the control tower is a 'hotel' where he apparently puts up pilots and air crews who are passing through (Are they dropping planes off? Are they borrowing them? Fuck knows. But that's what it's there for.) That's where my mate stayed with his girlfriend for a couple of nights. Very swank in it's own right, apparently.

He also said that JT was quite the host, and - judging by the pics and vids he showed me - a blast to get drunk with.

& the people from housnlow, hayes, sutton & thames ditton are complaining about a third runway.... doesn't travolta ever want it to be quiet?

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: mothman on September 13, 2019, 11:21:39 PM
I wonder if he can still afford his private airliner? I think he actually qualified as a pilot for KLM or something, and remember once seeing him giving a press conference at Heathrow after flying in...

wasn't he approached by NASA at one point, to train as a shuttle driver?

lipsink

On a rewatch recently I noticed a massive continuity error. Just before the guy in the kitchen comes out and shoots at Jules and Vince the bullet holes are already in the wall behind them. Were these meant to be there from when they shot Brett?

kngen

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on September 28, 2019, 11:56:21 PM
& the people from housnlow, hayes, sutton & thames ditton are complaining about a third runway.... doesn't travolta ever want it to be quiet?

yeah, you have to wonder what his neighbours think about it all. I have a feeling that a signed copy of Battlefield Earth isn't really going to cut it when it comes to compensation

buzby

Quote from: lipsink on September 29, 2019, 08:44:19 AM
On a rewatch recently I noticed a massive continuity error. Just before the guy in the kitchen comes out and shoots at Jules and Vince the bullet holes are already in the wall behind them. Were these meant to be there from when they shot Brett?

They aren't there at the start of the scene, so presumably they had to go back and redo Jackson's 'Marvin, I'd knock that shit off if I were you' line after Alexis Arquette's 'Fourth Man with his hand cannon' scene had been filmed and the squibs in the wall had been triggered and QT either didn't notice they were in shot or didn't have time to have time for craft services to come in to fill and repaint the wall.

gilbertharding

NJ Uncut

I want to do what Jules does at the end