Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:13:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Hardest PG Films

Started by Blumf, September 12, 2019, 03:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Gulftastic on September 12, 2019, 08:36:36 PM
It was an 'A'!

Yeah! PG and all that stuff didn't come in until 1982, before then it was U, A (5+), AA (14+) and X (18+)

Goldentony

lets not forget the Uc rated Ghostusters features fucking Don Aykroyd getting his FAT SWEATY COCK SUCKED to COMPLETION with HOT SEMEN FLYING EVERYWHERE in a FUCKING GRADE II LISTED ROOM RUINING STUFF WITH HIS HAUNTED CUM and the Ghost going MORE, FAT BOY and the ghost inhales and this foghorn sound goesoff and piles and piles of shit sexually fly out of his fat arse into the ghosts fanny

Mister Six

Does PG-13 still count? That Shazam film that came out this year was a weird mix of kids' action comedy and outright horror. There's a bit where a guy gets his head bitten off by a demon as you watch his feet twitch and a woman screams, then the demon tosses the headless body out of a skyscraper window and you watch it tumble down to the street below.

Ah, but there's no blood so that's okay.

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on September 12, 2019, 11:30:40 PM
To suggest a comedy, Airplane! is a PG in the US, bizarrely.  That's got tits, blowjob jokes, paedo jokes, the works. 15 in the UK, iirc.

EDIT: Didn't see someone had already mentioned this.
Was it a 15 on DVD because of the commentaries/extras?

It was a PG on video, amazingly.

H-O-W-L

I'd also say that Who Framed Roger Rabbit stretches its PG rating pretty thin.

SavageHedgehog

Jaws has always been a PG on VHS/DVD, although it is true that on the DVD/blu-ray special features bumped it up to a 12, however when it was rereleased in cinemas a few years ago it was a 12a. Same with the original Ghostbusters.

Temple of Doom was a PG version in the UK, until some time this decade when it got released as an uncut 12 on blu-ray. The PG version has substantial cuts but was still a constant source of complaints for the BBFC. The Beeb also got complaints over showing it at one point; I think they may have shown the uncut version by mistake?

Only tangentially related to the Jaws thing; the UK DVD of I, Robot was a 15 rather than a 12 because of one of the trailers at the start of the DVD. Always thought it baffling to (theoretically) cut off 3 years worth of potential customers just to try and advertise another film.

Wet Blanket

Before the 12 certificate the BBFC would have to decide whether a film was strong enough for a 15 or could get away with a PG, so you get stuff like Airplane being a PG cos it's light, even if it does have boobies and swearing, yet bloody Batman being slapped with a 15 on video.

Do many films get PG ratings now? The 12A has stolen its thunder.

Jurassic Park is well scary for a PG film. Spielberg seems to often get special passes from the censors: there's Saving Private Ryan somehow not getting an 18 despite the gorefest opening, the Indiana Jones films, Jaws being a PG until recently

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Wet Blanket on September 13, 2019, 09:25:04 AM
Before the 12 certificate the BBFC would have to decide whether a film was strong enough for a 15 or could get away with a PG, so you get stuff like Airplane being a PG cos it's light, even if it does have boobies and swearing, yet bloody Batman being slapped with a 15 on video.

I think Batman is fully justified as having a 15 rating, if it's the 1989 one. It's shockingly dark and brutal in some places. You actually get to see The Japer's face get split open in the intro, with blood oozing through his glove as he screams in horror and tumbles back into the acid pool. Also there's that scene where he shows off his lobotomized girlfriend's horrific burns and chemically stained skin to Vicki Vale.

Enrico Palazzo

Is Biggles any good? I watched it loads when i was a kid but looking it up now, the consensus seems to be that it was very bad.

Bad Ambassador

It's great and everyone who thinks different can just go away.

Seriously though, it's very enjoyable.

Quote from: Big Mclargehuge on September 12, 2019, 04:04:33 PM
Back to the future is one that springs to mind...if only for the fact it uses "Shit" a few times and it has strong themes of Incest...

It also has a drawn-out scene of attempted rape - or at least serious sexual assault - by a drunk man.  He does eventually get punched in the head, so that's all ok and forgotten about.  In fact, the attempted rapist later gets to hang around his victim, cleaning her car.  Someone should tell the courts that; don't bother locking rapists up - just give them a punch in the head.  Instant reform and recidivism will only occur if a future version of themselves appears in a flying time machine with a sports almanac.

Enrico Palazzo

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on September 13, 2019, 11:28:14 AM

Good to hear, i'll watch it this weekend.

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on September 13, 2019, 11:28:14 AM

+1 for this.

Enjoyably bad.

Also, if I have this right, Pam St Clement's last feature film.

Cardenio I

15 and 18 are funny aren't they. What's too offensive for a 15 year old that they're suddenly gonna be ready to see in 3 years time?

Quote from: Wet Blanket on September 13, 2019, 09:25:04 AM

That explains why the Carry Ons post Cruising are all PG, including Camping, Girls, Behind and England, in spite of topless scenes. Carry On Emmannuelle was a 15 for obvious reasons.

Quote from: Cardenio I on September 13, 2019, 12:08:41 PM
15 and 18 are funny aren't they. What's too offensive for a 15 year old that they're suddenly gonna be ready to see in 3 years time?

Their uncle's cock.

Cardenio I

I was putting fags out on my uncle's cock when I was still in short trousers. Worked out him and Auntie Val were getting separated when his hog stopped smelling like her arse.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: A Hat Like That on September 13, 2019, 12:08:06 PM
+1 for this.

Enjoyably bad.

Also, if I have this right, Pam St Clement's last feature film.

It's not even a bad film. I honestly think it's a very enjoyable adventure with a very creative central premise.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on September 13, 2019, 12:14:11 PM
That explains why the Carry Ons post Cruising are all PG, including Camping, Girls, Behind and England, in spite of topless scenes. Carry On Emmannuelle was a 15 for obvious reasons.

'Carry On England ' was originally an AA on initial release, due to a norks out scene , and Boardmanesque use of the word 'Fokker'. These were then excised, to give it an 'A'. Still no cunt came to see it, due to it being one of the worst films of all time.

oy vey

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on September 13, 2019, 12:14:11 PM
Their uncle's cock.

I'm in my 40's and I am still not ready to see my uncle's cock. Don't think I ever will be. My aunt's cock maybe out of curiosity...

Funny how the heart sacrifice scene in Temple never bothered me as a kid but ghost in the library at the beginning of Ghostbusters gave me a jolt. It's all subjective.

Aren't M.Night Shamalamadingdong's movies PG?

Sebastian Cobb

In many ways Temple of Doom is worse than Road House, and that's an 18.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 13, 2019, 07:16:09 PM
In many ways Temple of Doom is worse than Road House, and that's an 18.

Only cos it hasn't been resubmitted since 2001.  It'll almost certainly be downgraded to a 15 when it gets released on blu ray (which will probably be quite soon).

Sebastian Cobb

According to Amazon it already is on Bluray.

Also the cover is fucking awful.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 13, 2019, 08:06:22 PM
According to Amazon it already is on Bluray.

Also the cover is fucking awful.

That's the American blu ray (MGM release I believe).

Not available on blu in the UK yet (as in a UK release - you can of course import the American one very easily), only DVD, but Shout also released it on blu in the States a few years ago, and when Shout release something it usually (but not always) appears in the UK sooner or later.

H-O-W-L

I've always felt like Streets of Fire could probably be reclassified as a hard 12. Anyone smarter than me capable of proving why I feel like I'm possibly wrong?

Probably the only thing that would need cutting is the five seconds of nork you see on the stripper in the Bombers bar in the corner of the frame when Cody goes all bang bang.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 13, 2019, 08:26:13 PM
That's the American blu ray (MGM release I believe).

Not available on blu in the UK yet (as in a UK release - you can of course import the American one very easily), only DVD, but Shout also released it on blu in the States a few years ago, and when Shout release something it usually (but not always) appears in the UK sooner or later.

Region free and on UK Amazon though, also comes with a French dub, so presumably destined for Europe (or Canada?)

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: H-O-W-L on September 13, 2019, 08:29:35 PM
I've always felt like Streets of Fire could probably be reclassified as a hard 12. Anyone smarter than me capable of proving why I feel like I'm possibly wrong?

Mrs Nose's favourite film. 

I've always bought her the American releases (because they've had the making ofs and the soundtrack, the UK releases were always vanilla), so I didn't actually know it was a 15.

I don't remember anything in it being objectionable, but then I've not seen it for years so can't really remember too much about it.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 13, 2019, 08:31:01 PM
Region free and on UK Amazon though, also comes with a French dub, so presumably destined for Europe (or Canada?)

Could be the German release actually - I think that's region free, and has the same cover.  FSK 16 over there, which is basically the same as our 15.

Sebastian Cobb

Could be, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that Germans inexplicably love Road House/Patrick Swayze.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 13, 2019, 08:37:35 PM
Mrs Nose's favourite film. 

I've always bought her the American releases (because they've had the making ofs and the soundtrack, the UK releases were always vanilla), so I didn't actually know it was a 15.

I don't remember anything in it being objectionable, but then I've not seen it for years so can't really remember too much about it.

It's a cracking film. Really aside from the five seconds of boobs I think the worst thing is probably the climactic sledgehammer duel, but even that has a really low amount of violence in contrast to what gets past a 12 rating nowadays.

mothman

Streets of Fire and Biggles - two films I saw in 1986 and never again since...