Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:48:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Hardest PG Films

Started by Blumf, September 12, 2019, 03:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzby

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on September 14, 2019, 06:58:56 PM
In the 1977 one, Darth Vadar lifts a man off his feet, then breaks his neck by constricting it with both hands-we hear the bones crunching.
Vader lifts, chokes and breaks the neck of the rebel soldier on the Tantive IV with one hand,

garbed_attic

Quote from: DukeDeMondo on September 14, 2019, 08:50:10 PM
Return To Oz is rated PG and it's nowhere near as dark as Pig In The City.

A child going on a fantastical adventure with the dreamworld manifestation of the electro-shock machine that was to be used on her, after having seen a little girl drown in a river, is pretty dark though tbf

weekender

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 14, 2019, 11:01:14 AMWe've also become quite American in recent years with the introduction of the 12A (the worst thing to happen to UK filmgoing since the VRA was introduced), which has resulted in more studio cuts (from BBFC advice) to achieve a lower rating to maximise profit.  So you have studios now cutting films to get a 15 instead of an 18, or a 12/12A instead of a 15, which is something that happens routinely in the States.  It didn't really happen much here until the 12A came in (ironically introduced as a result of local authority shenanigans with one of the Spidermen films), but when it did the number of films cut increased massively.  This is something the BBFC gets masses of stick for, but all they're doing in those cases is advising the distributor based on what rating that distributor wants.  Example:
Distributor - here's The Equalizer (Denzel one).  Rate it please.
BBFC - hello distributor.  We have rated The Equalizer 18 for violence, with no cuts.
Distributor - ooooohhhh....what do we need to do to get a 15?
BBFC - here is a list of cuts required to achieve a 15.
Distributor - thanks.  We will cut it and re-submit for a 15.
BBFC - we have noted your cuts and have now rated the film a 15.

You can't really hold that against the BBFC.

I agree that you can't really hold that against the BBFC.

I think that this sort of thing has probably been happening more often in the UK than you might think though - as an example, here's a delightful letter about Monty Python and the Holy Grail (presumed to be addressed to Michael Palin); the penultimate paragraph is fantastic.

https://twitter.com/LettersOfNote/status/1169999180464570369

Sheepy - if you're reading I think this also confirms your understanding of the original 'A' rating from the previous page.

weekender

Bollocks, pressed Quote instead of Modify, sorry.  What I was trying to do was add the bit in brackets to my original post, which I have now done.

weekender

Quote from: buzby on September 16, 2019, 11:11:10 AM
Vader lifts, chokes and breaks the neck of the rebel soldier on the Tantive IV with one hand,

Nice pedantry.

Anyway, I always thought the noises were coming from the movement of the gloves and their sleeves, so nice to be corrected on that front.  Honestly thought the guy died from being flung at the wall, having been initially choked by a load of plastic-looking squeaky gloves.  I have thought this since I was 5 and I am now 41, never made the connection with the sounds being possible neck-breaking until today.

Over the past couple of years I've been revisiting many a classic of the 80s and early 90s, watching them with my son who just turned 11.

I had not remembered and was a bit surprised at this scene in the PG film Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkf43ZhNyBg