Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:01:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stand-Ups Whose Podcast Is Funnier

Started by MortSahlFan, September 13, 2019, 12:25:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noodle Lizard

All of the Cum Town lads.

Ricky Gervais.

Joe Rogan (and that's not saying much).

easytarget

Gregg Proops. Excellent stand up in the 90s/early 2000s, and good to very good today, but his podcast has been much better overall. The last few (after a recent long run of audience-free broadcasts from his house chatting to his wife - which were interesting and quite fun) are a return to form, less reliant on gifts and baseball bullshit. Preachy bits work better when his audience aren't 'hell yeah-ing' every single statement (there's less of that these days too).

Kumail Nanjiani. Some of his stand up is ok, his recent stuff about Harry Potter is ... fine. Indoor Kids could be fucking hilarious (could be that Emily V Gordon was doing a lot of the work there).

Will Hodgson Fantastic stand up, inventive and interesting, but I love(d) We Hope Its Chips even more.

rasta-spouse

Paul F Tompkins seems right here.

R Herring, Phil Wang, Ed Gamble for the brits.

Old Nehamkin

EOLAN

Quote from: easytarget on September 13, 2019, 04:47:13 AM
Gregg Proops. Excellent stand up in the 90s/early 2000s, and good to very good today, but his podcast has been much better overall. The last few (after a recent long run of audience-free broadcasts from his house chatting to his wife - which were interesting and quite fun) are a return to form, less reliant on gifts and baseball bullshit. Preachy bits work better when his audience aren't 'hell yeah-ing' every single statement (there's less of that these days too).

Got a bit weary of this, although the constant baseball references, anecdotes and the continual fantasy baseball teams requests (Greg if you could have a baseball team of convicted Nazis at the Nuremberg trials; what would it be?) never really bothered me at all.
So if he heavily backing Harris or Warren to be next president? May give it a try again after a 2 year hiatus.

up_the_hampipe

Chris D'Elia, also by a very wide margin.

Enrico Palazzo

Dunno if i'd call Marc Maron's podcast funnier but it's certainly a lot better than his stand-up.

Chollis

MortSahlFan

Quote from: Enrico Palazzo on September 13, 2019, 10:19:02 AM
Dunno if i'd call Marc Maron's podcast funnier but it's certainly a lot better than his stand-up.
I agree. He's not a good stand-up, but he seems to have some good conversations with his guests.

Sin Agog

Quote from: MortSahlFan on September 13, 2019, 02:51:44 PM
I agree. He's not a good stand-up, but he seems to have some good conversations with his guests.

I used to think that, but he's pretty engaging as a storyteller comedian.  Y'know how most comedians have their particular style of stand-up they can do, from one-liners to audience-bothering to observational etc., and they very rarely cross the streams.  That's his, and he's alright at it. Liked this bit recently. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=208FfdvYYiY&t=322s

Do the Pappy's bunch count?  Very funny and endearing just dossing about with a guest or doing Flatshare Slamdown, but canne be fucked to watch any of their stand-up.

niat

Quote from: Sin Agog on September 13, 2019, 03:19:14 PMDo the Pappy's bunch count?  Very funny and endearing just dossing about with a guest or doing Flatshare Slamdown, but canne be fucked to watch any of their stand-up.

I've never been that bothered with Pappy's but Matthew Crosby is very funny on his Radio X podcast with Ed Gamble.

I like Ed Gamble on this and on the Off Menu podcast with James Acaster (and recently on Taskmaster) but his stand-up leaves me cold.

Petey Pate

Quote from: easytarget on September 13, 2019, 04:47:13 AM

I stopped listening to this during the run up to the 2016 US election as his pro-Hillary Clinton stance became really obnoxious, not to mention somewhat baffling considering how generally well informed he is about everything. Maybe I'll dip into it again someday but it really went sour for me, which is a shame as I previously found it consistently interesting and entertaining, even during all the baseball bullshit.

Seagullsim

Quote from: Sin Agog on September 13, 2019, 03:19:14 PM
Do the Pappy's bunch count?  Very funny and endearing just dossing about with a guest or doing Flatshare Slamdown, but canne be fucked to watch any of their stand-up.

Tom Parry is excellent live. His was the best show I saw at Edinburgh this year.

Seagullsim

Alun Cochrane is far better on the Frank Skinner podcast than any of his stand-up.

Chris Martin was always better on the Carl & Chris podcast, but that may be because Donnelly was the funnier of the two.

bgmnts

Cum Town isn't that funny but my god the clips of their stand up routines they've played are fucking dreadful.

peanutbutter

Yep it's Nick Mullen for sure. Fantastic comic mind that hasn't come close to figuring out a stage persona that works for him and doesn't seem to be interested in refining bits to the point that they work as a bit.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: peanutbutter on September 13, 2019, 11:28:09 PM
Yep it's Nick Mullen for sure. Fantastic comic mind that hasn't come close to figuring out a stage persona that works for him and doesn't seem to be interested in refining bits to the point that they work as a bit.

There's a bootleg audio of him on YouTube that I thought had some funny bits https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feGBAOEseKQ

a peepee tipi

Quote from: bgmnts on September 13, 2019, 11:23:43 PM
Cum Town isn't that funny but my god the clips of their stand up routines they've played are fucking dreadful.
Oh man, nothing has made me laugh harder and more consistently than Cum Town

I've been surprised by how much I enjoy Stav's standup, he's definitely the cum boy that puts in the most effort there

Cum Town is total shit but I guess it is technically funnier than their standup.

Sebastian Cobb

Greg Davies is a much better podcast guest than actual stand up.

chveik

mr. logic

Quote from: Seagullsim on September 13, 2019, 11:23:37 PM
Alun Cochrane is far better on the Frank Skinner podcast than any of his stand-up.

Really? Christ.

It's most of the comedians isn't it really?

I've really been enjoying Rick Glassman's podcast, haven't seen much of his stand up though. This episode with Larry Charles is very interesting

https://youtu.be/UHtMc6EIJxM

His episodes with Joel McHale and Bobby Lee were very funny if you like those guys.

Enrico Palazzo

Quote from: chveik on September 14, 2019, 02:50:22 AM
Brett Gelman

The Comedy Bang Bang where he and Aukerman bicker for an hour, and he reads his letter from Hilary Clinton, is one of my favourite podcast episodes.

iamcoop

Quote from: a peepee tipi on September 13, 2019, 11:48:03 PM
Oh man, nothing has made me laugh harder and more consistently than Cum Town

I've been surprised by how much I enjoy Stav's standup, he's definitely the cum boy that puts in the most effort there

Stav's done a short Comedy Central set so out of the three he's the one most likely to become legitimately successful in stand up. Nick seems to be the worst these days despite my belief that he's a genuine comic genius.

Whoever mentioned Russell Brand is correct as well. He makes me physically cringe in any other format but his radio stuff is brilliant and when he was on form his improvisational ability could be unbelievable. I still listen to his 6music/radio 2 stuff now as he's so formidable on it I still hear new things now that I missed on the countless times I've listened to it before. 

Hank Venture

Nick Mullen for sure. He's too cynical to make it in stand up. It made sense when he dismissed his career in stand up as "providing people with an alternative to bowling" - that's not an attitude that makes a great stand up.

non capisco

Quote from: iamcoop on September 14, 2019, 11:09:15 AM
Stav's done a short Comedy Central set so out of the three he's the one most likely to become legitimately successful in stand up.

I'm pretty sure they know true mainstream success would elude all three of them due to the content of Cum Town.

Quote from: EOLAN on September 13, 2019, 10:16:03 AM
Got a bit weary of (Proops), although the constant baseball references, anecdotes and the continual fantasy baseball teams requests ... never really bothered me at all.
So if he heavily backing Harris or Warren to be next president? May give it a try again after a 2 year hiatus.

I've jumped back in with the recent live episodes and am generally enjoying it as much as 2017 episodes, without him being bitter. I'll hop off when it goes back to home-recorded episodes, with no hard feelings. He's not endorsing anyone as far as I've heard, thank goodness (nb: I assume he'd endorse my favoured candidate, I just don't need to hear him turn into a snotty asshole about it again either).

Maron is good live - I've seen him doing full shows to dedicated audience and club spots to randos, and his "hunching on the stool" schtick really works even in the latter - he'll clown the previous act for a minute or two to break their vibe, then perch up and roll his shoulders in, and the room gets pulled in along with him for the next fifteen. He's not the most hilarious jokemaker ever, but he's really good at his job. (Since he's almost never funny at all on WTF, it's not a high bar, but he is for-real funny as a comedian.) (GIN-SANNNG!)

Doug Benson fits the thread, wrt at least two of his eleven or so podcasts. He's a vaguely facile standup without much skill at tuning an audience, but on Doug Loves Movies he's great at managing the show, and dropping improvised jokes that can roll by without disrupting the gameshow, or giggling a little on a funnier gag so that the audience pop and swing back to paying attention to him, when he needs to take control of the room. His gags do play better because you're not expecting them from a stoned 57-year-old, but even in basic conversation he's funnier than his stand-up. (The Benson Interruption is defunct, but was also funnier than his standup - the premise was him and a guest heckling other comedians trying to do their standard short sets. His tendency to dad jokes is heightened there, but he sells them.)

Noodle Lizard

Re: Doug Benson, I've never seen a worse podcast than the few episodes I saw of Getting Doug With High, and that was entirely because of his abysmal hosting skills.  So it surprises me to hear that he's held in high regard by some here.  What would you recommend to change my mind?