Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:23:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New SNL cast members

Started by Famous Mortimer, September 13, 2019, 03:02:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Bizarro Mark Bosnich

A bit fucking rich for an American to complain about MSG in Chinese food when they routinely eat some of the unhealthiest, most chemical-infested shit on the planet.

Worst part is when he says "baby girl"

up_the_hampipe

Seems like he was just trying to be edgy, emulating the Opie & Anthony/Cum Town style. Pretty embarrassing to watch, but I doubt he's seriously hateful, he won't lose his job. 

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 13, 2019, 10:36:21 AM
Seems like he was just trying to be edgy, emulating the Opie & Anthony/Cum Town style. Pretty embarrassing to watch, but I doubt he's seriously hateful, he won't lose his job. 
Possibly true, but I'm sure SNL wouldn't hire anyone from Opie & Anthony or Cum Town either. Given it's been picked up by some large-ish sites, I wonder if they'll bother making a comment about it or forcing him to apologise. He does seem sorta shitty, even if you ignore the racism and homophobia, though.

Famous Mortimer

It appears I gave them too much credit. The only comment (after, of course, he purged almost all his videos and podcasts from the internet) was a "sorry if you were offended" apology, pretending it was from some unspecified but distant time in his long comedy career, and not from last year.

I know if he gets fired, he'll release a Nick DiPaolo-style video within a year. The shit-genie is out of the bottle. Come on, environmental disaster, and kill us all.

Twed

Quote from: Bizarro Mark Bosnich on September 13, 2019, 04:19:34 AM
A bit fucking rich for an American to complain about MSG in Chinese food
Also MSG is demonstrably fine and it was xenophobia that made people go mental about it being bad for you in the first place.

jonbob

I am shocked and stunned that a TV show that had the US president as a guest star would employ someone do out of touch and racist in a weird throwback 1970s way..

cliggg

Unfunny person hired by unfunny show to perform unfunny material.

up_the_hampipe

Guess I was wrong, yer man's been booted https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/shane-gillis-saturday-night-live-1203337908/

The controversy was already dying down. They could have kept their heads down, not debuted him right away (they often don't appear immediately anyway), quietly put him in the background of a few sketches. It would have been fine. Guess they wanted to prove a point.

Old Nehamkin

I'm glad to hear that the ethical purity of Saturday Night Live has been maintained and I can't wait to see what they've got in store for the new season.

Maybe we'll be treated to another chummy Dan Crenshaw cameo! Or perhaps they'll invite Donald Trump to host again so he can rattle off a few more gags about his zany immigration policy!

Hank Venture

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 13, 2019, 03:02:18 AM
https://www.vulture.com/2019/09/snl-shane-gillis-racist-homophobic-remarks.html

Latest in "shows really need to vet their cast these days" news.

They obviously knew whey they hired him. SNL doesn't really give a shit neyond the optics of it — I read a thing on Twitter that they fired him because he wouldn't put out an insincere PR department crafted apology.

Does anyone even watch SNL anymore? Anyone I saw on Teitter wanting him gone were morbidly unfunny, and if they are the audience I can't imagine how painful it is these days.

Cardenio I

He seems shit and unfunny, so I can see why they wanted him.

Hank Venture

It just irks how the biggest detractors on Twitter are obviously self-servient and terminally unfunny. Like that «spoken bird poetry» guy.

lol: https://twitter.com/nickmullen/status/1173776465084780545?s=20

sponk

Wonder if Eddie Murphy would have been kicked off the show for his AIDS bit if he'd just been coming up now. Either way the show is gonna be a big bag of shite. Never been funny.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Hank Venture on September 17, 2019, 07:06:59 PM
They obviously knew whey they hired him. SNL doesn't really give a shit neyond the optics of it — I read a thing on Twitter that they fired him because he wouldn't put out an insincere PR department crafted apology.

Does anyone even watch SNL anymore? Anyone I saw on Teitter wanting him gone were morbidly unfunny, and if they are the audience I can't imagine how painful it is these days.
If they knew, then it would have perhaps been a smart move to work out a strategy for dealing with the consequences of his words beforehand. From what I've read this week, it seems SNL's hiring strategy seems confusing even to people who work there.

Re: the second part of what you wrote, one of the people he singled out for abuse, Chris Gethard, is consistently inventive and very funny. But you seem to be wanting randos on Twitter to be as funny as an SNL cast member before they can have an opinion about it? Or am I misreading what you wrote?

Hank Venture

Quote from: sponk on September 17, 2019, 08:20:06 PM
Wonder if Eddie Murphy would have been kicked off the show for his AIDS bit if he'd just been coming up now. Either way the show is gonna be a big bag of shite. Never been funny.

Chevy Chase and Will Ferrell have both said the n-word ON THE SHOW. I'm sure Belushi did yellowface. Fallon did blackface. Honest question, would any of the all-timers get on today?

Like, SNL has completely lost its balls - it doesn't push boundaries anymore: they cave when hiring someone they must've known would be controversial, they have Trump on to let him launder his own reputation, they follow up with that awful Clinton crying into the piano shit. Jesus christ. Jenny Slate got fired after cursing once. It seems to me that SNLs transgressions were a result of taking too much risk, now the quality is down because they don't have the guts to take any at all.

Quote from: Hank Venture on September 17, 2019, 08:13:17 PM
lol: https://twitter.com/nickmullen/status/1173776465084780545?s=20

SNL was always lame and safe, even when they were 'taking risks' it was lame, the show hasn't lost its balls, it never had any. All the blacking up and Chinese impressions were in service of extremely tepid material, it has always been a shit network show run by unfunny boomers.

You think they've started cosying up to the establishment now, the White House Press Secretary hosted the show in SEASON ONE

Quote from: Hank Venture on September 17, 2019, 09:19:51 PM
Chevy Chase and Will Ferrell have both said the n-word ON THE SHOW. I'm sure Belushi did yellowface. Fallon did blackface. Honest question, would any of the all-timers get on today?

I'm kicking you off the show for suggesting that Jimmy Fallon is an "all timer" (the only thing he was good at was corpsing)

Cardenio I

Is it just me or are American comedians getting increasingly grandiose ideas of what it is they do? I definitely started to notice it with Seinfeld in Comedians in Cars, but now I feel like Chapelle and a few others are increasingly casting themselves as heroic warriors in some fight against I'm-not-sure-what. Like the amount of defences of this lame fucks lame-ass chink jokes which amount to "But it's comedy", as if the ontological heft of a joke were per se an immutable and inarguable good.

Hank Venture

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 17, 2019, 08:53:08 PM
Re: the second part of what you wrote, one of the people he singled out for abuse, Chris Gethard, is consistently inventive and very funny. But you seem to be wanting randos on Twitter to be as funny as an SNL cast member before they can have an opinion about it? Or am I misreading what you wrote?

No, but I just want unfunny people to have enough self-awareness to realise that no one wants them to be the comedy police. "Jerry Seinfeld, Norm MacDonald, Louis CK, Dave Chappelle, Bill Burr, Patrice O'Neal, Eddie Murphy, Mel Brooks were never funny" winds me up when it comes from someone who has mever been funny once in their life, and whose idea of top shelf comedy is some dogshit meme. It's especially galling when it's comedians who did offensive comedy in like 2013 but has now "grown" so they can self-serviently pile on. I saw that Ed Helms guy chiming in - y'know the guy who made a career out of acting in a movie with a convicted rapist. H. Jon Benjamin offered his take, and someone immediately found an old tweet of his, even less funny snd more offensive than the Gillis stuff. Patton Oswalt is apparently friends with actual violent white supremacist Jim Goad. I'm sure there are plenty others. Tim Heidecker did "ching chong matinee" on CBB, where Nick Kroll and S. Aukerman has dropped n-bombs. Thomas Middleditch did the chinese phone-in and nobody cared.

https://imgur.com/gallery/R60Genv

I feel like Sam O'Neill in Event Horizon. Looking straight into the abyss.

Whatever. Shane Gillis' seems to be a good stand-up, unsuprisingly.

Louis CK, Bill Burr, and Patrice O'Neal were never funny.

I couldn't care less about an SNL cast member, to be honest, but if you listened to the offending clip and think it was a comedy "bit" comparable to the above examples, you have zero comedic sense.

Bronzy

*Bunk shakes his head in agreement, 'No, you're right, they were never funny'*

*I smile as I cut the tie of a sleeping detective*

Bronzy

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on September 20, 2019, 03:46:12 AM
*Bunk shakes his head in agreement, 'No, you're right, they were never funny'*

*I smile as I cut the tie of a sleeping detective*

*Wendell Pierce kicks you in the bollocks, "Fuck off cunt"*

*But it turns out his "kick" was just a playful tap among comrades in blue, and we both laugh about it on the way to the Irish bar as Bunk (undercover alias: Wendell) again describes the mediocrity of certain popular stand-up comics*

Bronzy

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on September 20, 2019, 04:56:49 AM
*But it turns out his "kick" was just a playful tap among comrades in blue, and we both laugh about it on the way to the Irish bar as Bunk (undercover alias: Wendell) again describes the mediocrity of certain popular stand-up comics*

*stretches while showing massive furcock*

Cardenio I

Bill Burr is fucking insufferable