Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:52:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

BBC's War of the Worlds

Started by Butchers Blind, September 13, 2019, 09:02:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butchers Blind

Does anyone know what happened to this?  I remember it was trailed at the start of the year and was supposed to be shown around Easter but nothing.  Not heard anything about it since.

Norton Canes

There's a BFI preview screening on 15th October, so soon after that I would imagine.

H-O-W-L

As a fan of the book and the musical adaptation the trailers and summaries have seemed like cack so far.

Malcy

H-O-W-L

Looks gash. Tripod design is shit too. Why did they have to make it a blue Alexa monstrosity?

Butchers Blind

What dialogue there was sounded a bit on the ropey side.

Quote from: H-O-W-L on September 29, 2019, 09:22:11 AM
Why did they have to make it a blue Alexa monstrosity?

Should be red.

Chairman Yang

Boy howdy, if I'd carefully composited something meant to be towering against a background plate dominated by the sky and was relying on the volume lighting to really make it land and then some dickhead slapped a blue/orange color grade over the footage and ruined my effects shots I'd be pretty angry.

Luckily that did not happen...

BlodwynPig

Absorb the anus burn

No one would have believed that in the final months of 2019, the BBC decided to fuck up an adaptation of War of the Worlds

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on September 29, 2019, 11:53:43 AM
No one would have believed that in the final months of 2019, the BBC decided to fuck up an adaptation of War of the Worlds

The BBC - THE DESTROYER OF WORLDS

"nOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

H-O-W-L

Really looks gash tbh. A shame when the Mark Gatiss version of First Men in the Moon a decade or so ago was a good adaptation, just a bit ropey in construction.

idunnosomename

the chances of this being not shit, are a million to one, I reckon

BlodwynPig

"won't somebody save my little Larry?"

"sir, surely you jest!"

"I'm cooking a great big pheasant pie, so I am"

"stand back, I'm going in I tell you!"

"my God, just look at the things!!!"

"I've seen things you people..." *CUT!!!*

Quote from: H-O-W-L on September 29, 2019, 09:22:11 AM
Looks gash. Tripod design is shit too. Why did they have to make it a blue Alexa monstrosity?

oh, I rather liked the spider hair design that they had going.

Malcy

Just noticed that the first episode is online. Still no BBC airdate so not sure what the source is.

Bad Ambassador

Apparently its aired in Spain.

buzby

Some nice shots of Liverpool doubling for London in that trailer - William Brown Street doubling for Trafalgar Square, the steps of St. George's Hall and the crash landing scenes were filmed in Formby Woods nature reserve.

Keebleman

I was an extra on this.  Four and a half days in Formby Woods in gorgeous weather pretending to run away from aliens, followed by three days on Formby Sands in miserable weather pretending to run away from aliens, and also fighting to get into a boat.

Head Gardener

the last couple of episodes of this are now online before the bloody thing has even started here, mainly because it's been shown on NZ TV already

SteK

There's another version made in 2019 doing the rounds on the torrenting sites

Head Gardener

well the one I've seen has these 2 in it, it was a bit yeah yeah whatever but OK

Jim Bob

Quote from: SteK on October 28, 2019, 04:48:15 PM

The War of the Worlds has been in the public domain within the US for a number of decades now, so it's something which gets adapted a lot these days.

olliebean

Lost interest in this, as I heard they took all the songs out.

SteK

The other one is this;

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9686194/

Set in modern day, seems more like a TV version of 'Contact' so far....

Replies From View

Anybody a fan of this version?

Keebleman

Quote from: SteK on October 28, 2019, 04:48:15 PM

I wasn't an extra on that one, even though at one point it was being filmed literally two minutes' walk from my house.

SteK

Quote from: Keebleman on October 30, 2019, 10:06:36 PM
I wasn't an extra on that one, even though at one point it was being filmed literally two minutes' walk from my house.

That is, by it's very definition, extremely poor extra-ing...

idunnosomename

farewell thunder

chi-i-i-i-i-illlllllllllllld

Norton Canes

SPOILER (as if such a strange piece of minutiae is going to detract further from a show that has reportedly not been at all well received)

Someone who's seen it has pointed out that the Martian tripods' legs are made of... tree trunks

And you know what? It looks like they're right!

Bad Ambassador