Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:31:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

BBC's War of the Worlds

Started by Butchers Blind, September 13, 2019, 09:02:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on December 10, 2019, 04:27:34 AM
They didn't really exist. Which people made out?

... . Sorry, for a second it seemed like this was a contentious point.

It's a talking point I see brought up a lot when the novel is discussed. Legitimately had this in a reading group that was assessing/discussing the novel when I did a creative writing course too. Everyone seemed to believe that they died from a flu/the cold/some other simpler bacteria that is considered "not threatening" in the Western world when really it was far more grim than that.

yesitsme

Speaking as a Martian that young baby was delicious.

Yer George might not have got eaten if he'd have brought out some biscuits - we're not animals.

He did make me laugh when his idea of coaxing the Martian to parlez was to do his best 'Mr Grimsdale!  Mr Grimsdale!'

Overall not great, the book's brill and the musical can still send a shiver down my spine.  I remember listening to it once while tidying up the garden.  A cat jumped on to the fence next to me and I nearly did a backwards summersault over the house.

All the admin based plot and the Mr Popmous Arse character really put me off.

I did like the bit where she was reading the young bastard his bed time story The Pop Up Book of War of the Worlds.  If you'd seen what she'd seen you the opening titles of the Teletubbies would be enough to have you shitting your tafetta ballgown.

I watched it in episode form then once again from start to finish without my phone in my hand.

It didn't improve though. Too much of a costume drama.  That Mr Darcy has a lot to answer for. 

'Master George it would appear that the Martian invaders have a very strong moral code and are refusing to allow your divorce.'
'Oh dash it.'*

If I sit down to watch an alien invasion I want heat-rays, I want destruction, I want running and dying and I want it by the barrow load.

There was some criticism of the lead being a w-w-w-woman which I didn't mind.  I thought following some different people off the Horsell Common stampede would be good. 

Tell you who I do like, the guy who, despite all the Martians running about still goes out to work to man the gates at the ferry port.  Good for him.  'Have you got your ticket sir?', '..the final crosing?  Why, that's at 8pm tonight.', '...yes, I do have a wife and kids.  To be honest she wasn't happy about me coming to work this morning but this is Britain NOT Great Martain!'

Nowadays an inch of snow and the lazy fucking cowards at Scotrail are off like rats up pipes.

Still better than the Tom Cruise version which, despite have some good set pieces is almost laughable.

*I have never watched a Mr Darcy show but I have seen every comedy show do a hil-harious spoof of it so I reckon I've got a handle on it.

Not been on here for a while.  How's it going?

SteK

Anyone given this a whirl?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9686194/

I started it, kind of mixed War of The Worlds and Contact.

idunnosomename

god i havent read that dark horse Edginton/D'Israeli comic adaption since it came out in 2006. almost completely forgot it existed. google it and you'll find it in full. really good adaption. the heat-ray massacre on horsell common is fucking brutal. but also the british army moving the rotting (but authentically flat and beaky) martians at the end.