Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:47:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

BBC's War of the Worlds

Started by Butchers Blind, September 13, 2019, 09:02:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Cerys on November 18, 2019, 12:10:44 PM
Oh, it wasn't the characterisation or performance that I found annoying.  It was the fact that she was there at all.  See points 1 and 3.

Ah, I see. Soz.

touchingcloth

This was shit. Didn't give a shit about a load of shitting shits going "ooh, is this a space egg?" for 48 minutes. Show me the shitting aliens or shit off.

studpuppet

1. The fellah that's Paddy Considine's partner in Hot Fuzz. Whatever he's in, he still looks like he's playing the copper in Hot Fuzz.
2. Central London - how difficult is it to CGI the geography of major London locations correctly?
3. If you were the major military power whose pre-eminent service was the NAVY, surely you'd lure them tripods out to sea where they'd not have such an advantage?*

*I've never read the book or got past 'Forever Autumn' so this might happen.

touchingcloth

^ what did they get wrong about London?

If you'd've listened just one track further we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Norton Canes

I guess the war machines' tree-trunk legs were a way of demonstrating how the Martians ended up absorbing so much terrestrial bacterial life.

JesusAndYourBush

Every other version of War Of The Worlds I've encountered has the Martian sphere opening up and a Martian popping out of the top, but in this one the sphere floated up and then sort of disintegrated.  To those that have read the original book - is that accurate to the book or did the bbc 'adapt' that part?

Norton Canes

studpuppet

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 18, 2019, 02:23:02 PM
^ what did they get wrong about London?

Welcome to Trafalgardilly Circus!

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 18, 2019, 02:23:02 PM
If you'd've listened just one track further we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I couldn't hear it through my sobbing...

jobotic

The lid unscrews doesn't it? Or is that just on the record?

QuoteIt was this, as much as anything, that gave people courage, and I suppose the new arrivals from Woking also helped to restore confidence. Them cunts didn't even sweat. Paedos to a man

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 18, 2019, 03:33:17 PM
The War of the Worlds

Chapter Five

The Heat-Ray

Thanks, I had to go back to chapter 4, but yeah it unscrews.

touchingcloth

Quote from: studpuppet on November 18, 2019, 03:35:52 PM

Even looking at that and with your comment, I'm still not familiar enough with That London to know exactly which bits are incorrect. Looks like London to me, so I'm glad that the BBC aren't pandering to the type of metropolitan liberal elite who thinks that any given part of London isn't essentially interchangeable with any other bit. Can you honestly say you really know the difference between the queen, Grenfell Tower and Ken Livingstone's antisemitism?

I couldn't hear it through my sobbing...

It is an affecting song. Weep.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 18, 2019, 01:53:45 PM
This was shit. Didn't give a shit about a load of shitting shits going "ooh, is this a space egg?" for 48 minutes. Show me the shitting aliens or shit off.

There are shitloads of aliens doing evil alien shit in the next two episodes. Wall to wall alien shit.

You need to build things slowly when it comes to apocalyptic fiction.

JesusAndYourBush

I might as well post his here as anywhere.  Years ago Neil had an idea called "Cookd and Mixd" where people would contribute mixes to be posted on the site.  I remember a couple of nice Jazz mixes by ApexJazz but then it petered out and mine never got posted, so probably a first chance to hear it now.  It uses clips of the Orson Welles version mixed with music...

War of The Worlds Mix
https://www.mixcloud.com/bitsnpieces/war-of-the-worlds-mix/

Norton Canes

That's mental! As it panned past fairly quickly I wasn't really paying attention, and assumed it was maybe that hilly bit of Liverpool where all the nice buildings are. It's worse than the mocked-up skyline in the old Thames TV logo!

Deanjam

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 18, 2019, 04:43:57 PM
There are shitloads of aliens doing evil alien shit in the next two episodes. Wall to wall alien shit.

Good. This is all I want. And Tripods series 3.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 18, 2019, 04:43:57 PM

You need to build things slowly when it comes to apocalyptic fiction.

I pay my licence fee I want three shitting episodes chock full of alien shit.

buzby

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 18, 2019, 05:27:20 PM

That's mental! As it panned past fairly quickly I wasn't really paying attention, and assumed it was maybe that hilly bit of Liverpool where all the nice buildings are. It's worse than the mocked-up skyline in the old Thames TV logo!
It is that bit of Liverpool - specifically William Brown Street.
https://goo.gl/maps/4vPusjmSMpT7b3d77
The podium of Wellington's Column is in the foreground, the Steble Fountain is behind it with the Walker Art Gallery and the Picton Reading Room of the Central Library in the background. The northern end of St. Georges Hall (which also featured heavily in the episode) should be on the left of the picture, but they have pasted over it with the corner of a building and the distant view of Big Ben (which is covering up the view of the Beetham Plaza tower in the distance).

dr beat

I 'ate them Martians, they bombed our chippy!

Attila

I've just watched the first half of episode 1 during my lunch break today. No sign of Dr Clayton Forrester. Or TV's Frank, come to that.

The bolted on story of Amy and George -- meh. I'll load up Time After Time if I want that sort of malarkey.

touchingcloth

And the bit about wanting to have Hot Fuzz's baby. I don't know about you, but I want my War if The Worlds to be more oooh laaah than waah waah!!!

Jim Bob

I won't be watching this, mainly because I just can't buy into the premise.  It's too silly.  The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one.

jobotic

Thomas

Not watched this yet, but as I read the novel I listened, at the same time, to music by Pye Corner Audio.

The mood it helped to facilitate was so perfect that I eagerly await an adaptation with a Pye Corner soundtrack. Lonely, desolate, unnervingly weird. Highly recommended if you're embarking on the book.

Kryton

Have the Martians grabbed anyone and twatted them into a tree yet?

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Kryton on November 20, 2019, 07:17:18 PM
Have the Martians grabbed anyone and twatted them into a tree yet?

Ooh, right, that was an odd bit of the novel wasn't it?

Head Gardener

Dex Sawash

I've been unable to determine if this will make it to usa stream or broadcast.

Head Gardener

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Head Gardener on November 23, 2019, 04:51:22 PM
it's on the torrents

cba, need at most 3 clicks no waiting to get in eyeballs

thugler

Quote from: Dex Sawash on November 23, 2019, 05:48:50 PM
cba, need at most 3 clicks no waiting to get in eyeballs

Do preview mode on plenty of torrent clients, it will download in order and play as if it's streaming.