Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 11:46:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Greatest one-off character in sitcom history

Started by Famous Mortimer, September 13, 2019, 12:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

Quote from: thecuriousorange on September 19, 2019, 12:23:34 AM
After being a complete knob he rips Tim in half with that "Gone off Dawn now?" line in front of the new girl he's flirting with. It was savage and punctured Tim completely. No way he wasn't going to deliver a hammer blow after being publicly teased.

Why didn't Tim reply: "Simon, why don't you just fuck off?"

Sebastian Cobb

Probably because Tim was the Finchy in this scenario.

famethrowa

Two of them. The Simpsons beekeepers.

Who are these guys? They work at Goldsboro's Honey, one seems to be channeling Adam West and the other is Smithers-alike. Kind of idiots if they can be (almost) swindled by Homer that easily.

phes

Quote from: ajsmith2 on September 19, 2019, 05:39:38 PM
Todhunter is one of those characters who seems like he was in it more than once cos he's referenced so much later on, as well as being more present in the first book. It's clear he's the ships archetypal preppy golden boy by all accounts, irritatingly high flying but also worldly enough to be down with the lads of the ship. Ie he's everything Rimmer isn't but aspires to be. So it's odd to consider that this is the only scene where we really get to see him in action. It always seems like there should have been a few more scenes of him and Rimmer in conflict, even if only in flashbacks. I guest Bathurst got too big later, though they did have Mark Williams back as Petersen a couple of times before he was Fast Showed and Harry Pottered out of availability.

It's not his only appearance in that episode. He's also present for Rimmer's exam meltdown and puts Lister into stasis. But yes, definitely a character I had to go and check on IMDb on account of feeling like he existed beyond that

That peanut factory boss from the Simpsons is a great call and can't wait to seek that out

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: phes on September 20, 2019, 09:33:55 AM
It's not his only appearance in that episode. He's also present for Rimmer's exam meltdown and puts Lister into stasis. 
He gives a very nonplussed reaction to Rimmer's meltdown/collapse, in a "seen this a few times before" kind of way.

purlieu

Yes, the facial shrug in the exam scene is perfectly played. His character only really makes sense in the 'crew of 169' version of the show, as he's sorting through McIntyre's artefacts, invigilating an exam, attending a funeral, giving a toast and putting Lister into stasis in the first episode. He does a lot of people's jobs, which - along with being mentioned a few times in later episodes - definitely cements him in the memory. I, too, had to double check that it was his only appearance, because I was almost certain he had later appearances in the original run like Hollister, Kochanski and Petersen. But apparently not.

The peanut factory bloke is incredible, such a good example of why The Simpsons was perfect.

Also:

Gurke and Hare

Another vote for Dr Price here. Who doesn't want to see Geoffrey Palmer playing a doctor whose motivation is to eat some sausages?

Blackadder's full of them. Captain Rum and Mr Harwood (the father of Amy the highwayman)are two of the best.

purlieu

I have a soft spot for the two Ploppies.
And Three Fingered Pete.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: famethrowa on September 20, 2019, 02:54:46 AM
Two of them. The Simpsons beekeepers.

Who are these guys? They work at Goldsboro's Honey, one seems to be channeling Adam West and the other is Smithers-alike. Kind of idiots if they can be (almost) swindled by Homer that easily.

Fuckin yes. That overly dramatic guy is brilliant. "Simpson, you diabolical..."

Blue Jam

Quote from: thenoise on September 18, 2019, 09:54:51 AM
It's such a realistic and modern portrayal of loneliness, in between moping about obsessing over a woman in the office that you probably don't actually fancy, sleeping with a totally unsuitable girl you bump into at a party just because she shows some interest in you, and despite the fact you are embarrassed to be seen out with her.

The best bit of that is the way Jeff is making fun of Mark's choice of date ("...so, who's your favourite member of S Club then?) while secretly being very jealous and wishing he was the one on a date with an edgy, liberated teenage girl who was very definitely going to "bone" him later on rather than Sophie the frumpy and uptight office girl (whom he doesn't really fancy and only wants because Mark wanted her). Like Mark with the condom "mission", Jeff won... in the most minor way possible.

Really though I just love the way every line that comes out of Valerie's mouth is pure gold: "So, at work, you've got your computer, and your desk... Wow, that is so fucking weird!"; "It's like being on a date with the guys from Friends!"; *rolls eyes* "He doesn't CARE about the SHOES! FUCK YOUR SHOES!", and possibly my favourite: "Can I have a jam donut?". The completely unnecessary "jam" detail really cracks me up for some reason.

mojo filters

Captain Tuttle in the M*A*S*H season one episode Captain Tuttle.

wosl

Nice one!  I'd wracked my brains for a MASH character, but couldn't think of one that was really and truly outstanding, so I appreciate the way you've got around the problem.

mojo filters

Quote from: wosl on September 23, 2019, 05:55:30 AM
Nice one!  I'd wracked my brains for a MASH character, but couldn't think of one that was really and truly outstanding, so I appreciate the way you've got around the problem.

It was the easiest person from the 4077th to think of, as I had breakfast with him yesterday. He's now happily married to General Clayton's niece, and their youngest just started at Berlin Polytechnic.

Dusty Substance

I've been revisiting Fawlty Towers for the first time in a decade. The aforementioned Mrs Richards has always been an absolute favourite of mine but I've just reached The Anniversary and thought that Ken Campbell's Roger can't go unmentioned. I've had friends like him in my life over the years, people who are deliberately annoying and unhelpful but, for whatever reason, they remain a friend. Having said that, watching this episode again has made me wonder how Basil of all people would put up with Roger. Presumably Una Stubbs' Alice was friends with Sybil first and so Basil can't really "unfriend" him.

gmoney

Quote from: alan nagsworth on September 19, 2019, 06:23:44 PM
We've already mentioned all of this. If I have to send you a pizza with a message about checking the thread first written in olives to teach you a lesson then I fucking will.

So we have. You missed out the pool fluid bit though, you caaahnt.

kngen

Quote from: alan nagsworth on September 19, 2019, 06:35:33 PM

I've mentioned this before elsewhere on here, but one of the best Simpsons one-off characters for me is the peanut factory boss in "Bart Gets An Elephant". Truly great comedy writing is creating a fully realised world through the eyes of a character who has only just appeared on screen and, in this case, is off the screen again in an instant.

I'm constantly tickled when thinking about the absurd notion of a man running a peanut factory and insisting his staff train for two hours every day in the extremely unlikely event that one day there's an elephant on the loose, but takes too much explaining the importance of the regiment to his staff and the elephant smashes through the doors before whatever measures he had in mind can be put to work.

It's a total of 20 seconds screen time and it's perfect.

'Many of you requested to be transferred to another peanut factory'

I love that line so much.

I know they've already been mentioned but Father Fintan Stack and Pat Mustard were both fantastic characters and I can't choose between them.

Also

and

NoOffenceLynn

Fr Ted. The guy with the, I shot JR t-shirt.

"Would you believe my own dog did that to me?" Is such a well delivered memorable line.

Saw the guy who plays him, Pat Shorrt, in a comedy duo on stage. Very funny

NoSleep

Quote from: NoOffenceLynn on September 25, 2019, 01:15:25 PM
Fr Ted. The guy with the, I shot JR t-shirt.

He's a regular, though. One of the locals. The same guy (Tom) is asked to "take care of the rabbits" in a later episode.

https://fatherted.fandom.com/wiki/Tom