Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:34:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

100 best films of the 21st century??

Started by Icehaven, September 13, 2019, 01:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/sep/13/100-best-films-movies-of-the-21st-century#comment-133094030

Plenty to agree and disagree with there, the comments seem on fire with wrath over Pan's Labyrinth being missing.

(I'm actually surprised how many of these are less than 20 years old. If I'd had to guess I'd have thought Gladiator was 1997 at the latest, and the aforementioned Pan's Labyrinth was only 2006.)

garbed_attic

That it is a bad list is of very little consequence in the grand scheme of things... but it's a bad list!

Like many on here, I have a bias towards horror and the fantastical, but that Ted should be included and not, as mentioned, Pan's Labyrinth (or The Babadook, Little Otik etc. etc.) seems like flat-out trolling!

Of course, ultimately Nathan For You is better than a good 90% of the list anyway.

SteveDave

Ted? Really?

I've seen 23 and only 2 in the top 10.

zomgmouse

But only a fifth of the century has gone by. This is bollocks

chveik

Quote from: gout_pony on September 13, 2019, 01:53:19 PM
Of course, ultimately Nathan For You is better than a good 99% of the list anyway.

ftfy

chveik

oy vey

I still admit to occasionally reading the Guardian in the hope of avoiding all the up-its-arse elements but it's slim fucking pickings innit? And if this list boils your blood for it's click bait passing as arrogance passing as an informative article you'll love the 100 best music albums of the 21st century. Oh yes. Please fuckers don't make a thread in Music. You're only playing into their hands.

Dex Sawash

bgmnts

Quote10
Team America: World Police (2004)
The most audacious slaughter of sacred cows seen on celluloid, Matt Stone and Trey Parker's marionette action-musical is a gleeful hail of precision-aimed bullets. It's totally fearless: pops are taken at Hollywood, Broadway, evil dictators, gung-ho superpowers, the intelligence service, bleeding heart liberals, actors – especially actors – before signing off with a devastating, if obscene, defence of US interventionism. Politically, it's scattergun; satirically, it's spot-on. Mostly, though, it's just ferociously funny, even if most of the humour does, finally, come from the sight of the 2ft puppets tottering around, getting drunk, having wild sex, attempting to walk through doorways and wrestling panthers played by kittens.

Holy shit. Lovely

Quote3
Boyhood (2014)
Twelve years in the shooting, Richard Linklater's story of a child's life between six and 18 is a vindication of artistic ambition in an age of cinematic snacking. Its downside is to ruin almost every single other film for you – at least all those in which the actors are conspicuously aged up or down. In watching the bonafide progress of Ellar Coltrane – as well as Patricia Arquette and Ethan Hawke as his parents – Boyhood provides its audience with an intimacy and an investment like no other. This is cinema as gentle revolution.

Fucksake.

greenman

Time for a CaB poll on the same subject?

Johnny Textface

Fargo not count or something?

Edit

No.

garbed_attic

Quote from: Viero_Berlotti on September 14, 2019, 10:53:12 PM
The Dogs (2015)

Damn. Why not make an argument for A Serbian Film (2010) while you're at it!?

BlodwynPig

Shoulders?-Stomach!

timebug

I have seen ten on that list, and tried about five of the others, but gave up after ten/fifteen minutes,as they gave my arse a headache.

Small Man Big Horse

38 for me, but only about 15 deserve to make the list imho. And I know I love him and am a bit obsessed by him, but there not being one Sion Sono film in the top 100 is a bit ridiculous.

chveik

Twelve Years a Slave isn't even the best Steve McQueen film in The Beatles. That Brad Pitt cameo alone surely excludes it from the top 20.

Icehaven

When I first glanced down the list and saw Leave No Trace described as an ''eco drama'' I was a bit confused. It's about PTSD more than anything else, I don't remember there being any eco stuff at all.

peanutbutter

Quote from: icehaven on September 15, 2019, 07:05:34 PM
When I first glanced down the list and saw Leave No Trace described as an ''eco drama'' I was a bit confused. It's about PTSD more than anything else, I don't remember there being any eco stuff at all.
The weird commune group, I guess? It's a crazy misread of the film to call it that though.

Ted being on the list at all suggests they told voters they had to include a comedy or something. Thought IndieWire's list was a lot better with better curveball options too (Leviathan, Mother of George). Had seen something like 78 from that list, probably be a bit lower for this one as English publications frequently include a few English releases that don't warrant inclusion (as an aside, how many Joanna Hogg films in there?).

greenman

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 15, 2019, 02:48:08 PM
38 for me, but only about 15 deserve to make the list imho. And I know I love him and am a bit obsessed by him, but there not being one Sion Sono film in the top 100 is a bit ridiculous.

Honestly though the whole thing feels a bit sanitised, designed not to offend so something like Love Exposure wouldn't fit in even though it probably deserves to.

Quote from: chveikwhy not

Any other interest in this? I think 21st century films might be enough of a narrowing to get some kind of worthwhile ranking from combining a load of CaB members lists or just this decade if people preffered?

garbed_attic

Quote from: greenman on September 15, 2019, 07:40:53 PM
Any other interest in this? I think 21st century films might be enough of a narrowing to get some kind of worthwhile ranking from combining a load of CaB members lists or just this decade if people preffered?

I'd be up for it, though don't know how it'd be best to compile - some kind of monstrous spreadsheet?

I'm very fond of the mammoth 1000 greatest games thread that occasionally gets revived, especially since there is an emphasis on people providing a review/ justification for inclusion... however, a lot of the selections are curate's eggs.

greenman

Quote from: gout_pony on September 15, 2019, 08:05:53 PM
I'd be up for it, though don't know how it'd be best to compile - some kind of monstrous spreadsheet?

I'd guess it would depend a lot on how manys lists are involved and how big the lists are, something like say a top 20 with the #1 worth 20 points and the #20 worth 1 point probably wouldn't make for THAT vast a work load if your only compiling a top 50 or 100.

Osmium

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 15, 2019, 02:48:08 PM

The tokenism quota for Japan was fulfilled with the single (most recent) Koreeda film (and Spirited Away which also fulfilled the Studio Ghibli quota). Much like how there is no Hou Hsiao-Hsien film because they included an Edward Yang film. Burning* and The Handmaiden* will do for South Korea (Parasite* would have made it on if the list was made this week). Sion Sono, much like Jia Zhangke and doubtlessly many others never stood a chance.

*director's most recent film (so is Yi Yi, but they can get a pass on that)

chveik

Quote from: Osmium on September 16, 2019, 07:07:09 PM
The tokenism quota for Japan was fulfilled with the single (most recent) Koreeda film (and Spirited Away which also fulfilled the Studio Ghibli quota). Much like how there is no Hou Hsiao-Hsien film because they included an Edward Yang film. Burning* and The Handmaiden* will do for South Korea (Parasite* would have made it on if the list was made this week). Sion Sono, much like Jia Zhangke and doubtlessly many others never stood a chance.

*director's most recent film (so is Yi Yi, but they can get a pass on that)

the same goes for eastern europe & latin america.

garbed_attic

Quote from: chveik on September 16, 2019, 07:50:15 PM
the same goes for eastern europe & latin america.

I was surprised not to see Body and Soul