Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:19:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

100 best films of the 21st century??

Started by Icehaven, September 13, 2019, 01:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenman

Quote from: Osmium on September 16, 2019, 07:07:09 PM
The tokenism quota for Japan was fulfilled with the single (most recent) Koreeda film (and Spirited Away which also fulfilled the Studio Ghibli quota). Much like how there is no Hou Hsiao-Hsien film because they included an Edward Yang film. Burning* and The Handmaiden* will do for South Korea (Parasite* would have made it on if the list was made this week). Sion Sono, much like Jia Zhangke and doubtlessly many others never stood a chance.

*director's most recent film (so is Yi Yi, but they can get a pass on that)

I'm not a wide viewer of his work beyond Love Exposure(which would I'd guess have been the likely inclusion) but again it seems to not well suited to the intension of this list which seems to be to avoid offence, to pick politics that are quite safe for the readership. Looking at the Guardian and Indiewire lists for 2015 compared to there end of decade ones I think you could argue that's been a significant shift, I mean right from the start you see one very obvious difference.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/jan/05/top-50-films-of-the-demi-decade-peter-bradshaw

There is obviously as well a pretty clear divide between "stuff you went to see at the arthouse cinema" and "stuff you took the kids to see" with the films from this decade, not nearly as much inbetween, no Fury Road or Blade Runner 2049 for example.

Quote from: greenman on September 16, 2019, 08:53:42 AM
I'd guess it would depend a lot on how manys lists are involved and how big the lists are, something like say a top 20 with the #1 worth 20 points and the #20 worth 1 point probably wouldn't make for THAT vast a work load if your only compiling a top 50 or 100.

The best way to do these rankings is to just have a ten-film ballot from each voter, each selection worth one point. You'll get a lot of ties with a smallish pool of voters, but it's far too easy to skew otherwise.

greenman

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on September 17, 2019, 12:54:19 AM
The best way to do these rankings is to just have a ten-film ballot from each voter, each selection worth one point. You'll get a lot of ties with a smallish pool of voters, but it's far too easy to skew otherwise.

I suspect ten films would be too small to get very much consensus, you'd end up with a few having multiple votes then a dozens and dozens with single votes.

Maybe something like a top 30 with the the top 10 having 3 points, the next 10 2 points and the last 10 1 point, that would make the calculations easier as well.

joaquin closet

Very down for a top 15/20/30/whatever. at least more than 10 please!

rue the polywhirl

What a rubbish list. Philomena is in it and that's a boring TV movie with TV actors Steve Coogan and Judi Dench. And Coogan must be paying someone or best friends with everyone at the guardian because 24 Hour Party People is probably not a top 100 movie either. Kill Bill should not be bumped out by Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. Gravity in the list. Chris Nolan poorly represented. No Kung Fu Hustle. No Perfume. What a load of rubbish.

Inspector Norse

It's a bit of a rubbish list but most lists are.
There are some things that are nice to see placed so highly (L'Enfant, Shoplifters) and some things that are overblown guff (the number one, Roma).
A couple of things that pay lip service to directors or scenes that should be better represented, a couple of things that are just bizarre when you think of how much good stuff is missing (The Grand Budapest Hotel is actually the only Wes Anderson film I've enjoyed, but should it be anywhere near the top 50 when Ceylan and the aforementioned Kore-eda get just one film each in the list?).

Puce Moment

I struggle when these lists have very new, critically acclaimed releases so well positioned. Perhaps a more interesting question might be how many of these films will still be in the list in 2099?

I reckon:

1. There Will Be Blood
5. In the Mood for Love
11. Mulholland Drive
21. The White Ribbon
28. The Tree of Life
74. A Prophet
86. No Country for Old Men

Bazooka

The Room not there?  What has happened to civilization.?

joaquin closet

Quote from: Puce Moment on September 18, 2019, 01:39:08 PM
I struggle when these lists have very new, critically acclaimed releases so well positioned. Perhaps a more interesting question might be how many of these films will still be in the list in 2099?

I reckon:

1. There Will Be Blood
5. In the Mood for Love
11. Mulholland Drive
21. The White Ribbon
28. The Tree of Life
74. A Prophet

I don't know what will be, but I hope A Serious Man is.

I reckon it's the Coens' masterpiece (at the very least of the 21st Century) and I feel like I see more people coming round to that viewpoint all the time. I think they'll still be considered important enough to have a place on that list; No Country would be the obvious choice I guess, but a lad can dream.

greenman

Quote from: joaquin closet on September 17, 2019, 08:42:20 PM
Very down for a top 15/20/30/whatever. at least more than 10 please!

That top 30 idea? 3 points for the top 10, 2 points for 11-20 and 1 point for 21-30, that's probably within my realms of competence and patience to calculate if nobody else wanted to and hopefully something that would get a decent response? not having to come up with massive lists or worry about very exact ordering.

Would there be any desire to turn that into a better presented list with some writing about each film? maybe each member doing a few of their choosing?

Funcrusher

Would help to jog the old memory cells if the end of year best film threads could be dredged up. CAB usually had one I think.

Jumblegraws

I'd add It Follows to the list of snubbed horror films.

Quote from: Puce Moment on September 18, 2019, 01:39:08 PM

I reckon:

1. There Will Be Blood
5. In the Mood for Love
11. Mulholland Drive
21. The White Ribbon
28. The Tree of Life
74. A Prophet

I actually think There Will Be Blood will be among the worst agers. It already feels somewhat dated.

greenman

Not having  The Master and Inherent Vice on the list at all with it at #1 feels rather strange.

Bronzy

I dislike ranking all films regardless of genre in one list, I'm a bit George C. Scott about the whole thing.

Too subjective and too many to name, is how I feel.

Bronzy

I say this having literally just ranked several TV shows in that other thread.

What can I say, I'm a bit of a film snob and a massive hypocrite.

greenman

Groups of ten getting the same points would cut down on the nerdishness of judging films exactly against each other somewhat I spose.

Shall I start a threat now? would give it a decent length of time for submissions and to gets a list plus maybe writeuops done around the turn of the year.

Dex Sawash

Is The Mexican liked by anyone but me? I don't remember much about it except I thought it was great.
I'd put it in my top 100 films I liked that may have even been from the required time period.

Dr Syntax Head

Triangle. You go into it thinking generic slasher film but it goes.....places. Dark uncomfortable places. Also Timecrimes.

Dr Syntax Head

Lost Highway and Fire walk with me are equal to mullholland drive

garbed_attic

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on September 22, 2019, 01:12:17 PM
Lost Highway and Fire walk with me are equal to mullholland drive

Not 21st century films though