Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 09:21:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bands You Can't Imagine Anyone Being A Fan Of

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, September 13, 2019, 06:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

( Inspired by another thread elsewhere on 'ere.)
Does It Offend You, Yeah?

Who in the *fuck* is going to be a fan of a band with that fucking name?

I also have great difficulty in getting my head around the concept of Vampire Weekend having any fans at all .

Twed

I imagine Vampire Weekend's fans all looked like this:

That girl is 48 now.

purlieu

Afro/world-inspired choppy guitar indie stuff, and you imagined their fans looked like 16 year old emo/scene kids?

Twed

Judging them entirely on their name. Vampire Weekend is the name of a scene band. Doesn't matter what their content is.

Jockice

I think Vampire Weekend should change their name to The Insipids. It suits their music better.

wosl

Who on earth could be a fan of a scally-looking bunch of herberts called Feet?

(Decent 'tache there, to be fair)

Absorb the anus burn

On the other hand, I can imagine 'The Priests" having some fans.

Cuellar

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Cuellar on September 13, 2019, 08:05:47 PM
Dream Theater
Some of their songs are allegedly quite good, but I've never been able to fathom them.

Almost every Britpop band. Who bought that shite?

BlodwynPig

beanheadmcginty

purlieu

Quote from: Twed on September 13, 2019, 06:47:33 PM
Judging them entirely on their name. Vampire Weekend is the name of a scene band. Doesn't matter what their content is.
I have no idea what this even means, but I can guarantee your average Vampire Weekend fan looks absolutely nothing like that picture.

madhair60

kalowski

Absorb the anus burn

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 13, 2019, 08:31:21 PM
Some of their songs are allegedly quite good, but I've never been able to fathom them.

Almost every Britpop band. Who bought that shite?

Ah, that was me. Sorry. I even bought this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiFwr83Q2sU - though I hadn't heard it prior to purchasing it, I just liked the title of the song.

easytarget

Grateful Dead/Phish/Widespread Panic/The Dave Mathews Band

Because I've not really heard much by this band These bands? but have seen their fans mooning around in tie-dye tshirts and flip flops I may be unfair in dismissing them all as shitty, unfocused, jam nonsense. I always image being a fan of these bands isn't really about the music maaaaan more a social thing where like minded suburban 50 year olds from expensive private colleges discuss hiking and unfashionable footwear and swap boring stories about getting high.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Twed on September 13, 2019, 06:47:33 PM

Vampire Weekend were too late for that (came out early 2010s) and despite any connotations of the name they appealed to the 20/30 something early 2010s hipster/BBC6 demographic. An off the peg stereotype of a Vampire Weekend fan would be more like an employably well turned out 20something early 2010s hipster man with a well kept beard, glasses and a few tats. Could even be someone who used to be a scene kid in the preceding decade, but crucially its a different era.

On a similar note, the name of neo-boyband The Vamps always confuses and annoys me cos it should rightfully have been used for an edgy female band singing cabaret punk trash material or similar, not some blandoboys.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 13, 2019, 09:51:18 PM
Ah, that was me. Sorry. I even bought this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiFwr83Q2sU - though I hadn't heard it prior to purchasing it, I just liked the title of the song.

That whole song and video( maybe even the band) are overtly satirical, aren't they? I mean, look at the posters on the wall in that video. They've * got* to be taking the piss.

Brundle-Fly

The Supernaturals
FMB
Nizlopi
Worlds Apart
And Why Not?
The 'Burn

ajsmith2

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 14, 2019, 09:37:38 AM
The Supernaturals

Hi! Big fan here. I'm also in a band with a guy who's currently moonlighting as their tour guitarist, but my fandom predated that.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on September 14, 2019, 08:54:21 AM
That whole song and video( maybe even the band) are overtly satirical, aren't they? I mean, look at the posters on the wall in that video. They've * got* to be taking the piss.

Never heard of this band or song before and I fucking love this. Thanks folks for introducing me to this, even if it was by way of regretful osmosis.