Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,398
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:43:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bands You Can't Imagine Anyone Being A Fan Of

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, September 13, 2019, 06:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajsmith2

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 13, 2019, 08:31:21 PM
Some of their songs are allegedly quite good, but I've never been able to fathom them.

Almost every Britpop band. Who bought that shite?

I love Britpop, and we're surely way past the stage where it can just be blanket dismissed as 'shite'. It's practically classic rock these days.

alan nagsworth

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: alan nagsworth on September 14, 2019, 12:30:54 PM
one of these threads is it lads, fucking hell

I bet a band called The Her Who Plays Villanelles would have loads of fans  ;-)

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on September 14, 2019, 08:54:21 AM
That whole song and video( maybe even the band) are overtly satirical, aren't they? I mean, look at the posters on the wall in that video. They've * got* to be taking the piss.

yep. it's like otway singing for blur.

chveik

Quote from: Twed on September 13, 2019, 06:47:33 PM
Judging them entirely on their name. Vampire Weekend is the name of a scene band. Doesn't matter what their content is.

You should see what the average My Bloody Valentine fan looks like!

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: easytarget on September 14, 2019, 06:09:09 AM
Grateful Dead/Phish/Widespread Panic/The Dave Mathews Band

I'm a fan of the Dead, but I'm not a "Deadhead", in that I don't do the whole cultural thing that goes with it (to be fair I think that's a VERY American thing, and Dead fans outside of America generally don't bother with any of that - except maybe the getting high [which I don't] - and just listen to the music).  I can take or leave Phish, leave DM Band and haven't heard anywhere near enough of Widespread Panic to comment either way.  But, for me, the Dead is very much about the music.  Oh sure, there is some absolute bollocks in there, sometimes they were downright unlistenable and, as someone (I can't remember if it was Bill Graham or one of their own managers) once said about them "you sure can play, but you can't sing for shit".  But, when they were in jam mode, sometimes - actually oftentimes - absolute magic happened (the version of Dark Star on Live/Dead is, frankly, genius and is one of those pieces of music that makes you wonder how the fuck anyone can just make that stuff up instantaneously on the spot), and when they moved more towards the structured songs there's a lot of good stuff in there too.

Johnny Yesno

NJ Uncut

Rednex

Before you think I'm doing a "lolrandom" answer, namechecking some obscure one hit wonder, I'd like you to consider the possible audience who sustains this band's continuing lineage, which leaves me utterly scoobied

From the 'Pedia:

1 Band history

1.1 1994–1995: Formation and Sex & Violins
    1.2 1996–1997: Departure of Ljungberg and Riding Alone
    1.3 1998–2000: Farm Out and controversial lineup changes
    1.4 2001–2004: The Best of the West and more lineup changes
    1.5 2005–2006: Return of Ljungberg and Comeback
    1.6 2009–2011: Second departure of Ljungberg and Singles
    1.7 2012–2014: Second departure of Tulley and Singles
    1.8 2015–2017: Return of Löfgren
    1.9 2018–present: Manly Man, live stream and performer turbulence

9 stages of their career. 9.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: NJ Uncut on September 15, 2019, 03:39:47 AM
Rednex

Them that did 'Cotton Eye Joe'?  Wow.  I assumed them to be a one hit wonder.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on September 15, 2019, 02:51:21 PM
Them that did 'Cotton Eye Joe'?  Wow.  I assumed them to be a one hit wonder.

at least two, so they couldn't even do that right.

Pauline Walnuts

Too late to point out that this reached Number 12 in the UK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YuJZzuHDf8

So, I'll draw your attention to Todd in the Shadows take on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUPH_Aj-GGE

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on September 13, 2019, 06:36:20 PM
( Inspired by another thread elsewhere on 'ere.)
Does It Offend You, Yeah?

Both of them.

Joe Lean And The Jing Jang Jong - sigh

Does It Offend, You Yeah? - like a Nathan Barley deep cut

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on September 15, 2019, 02:53:23 PM

QuoteToo late to point out that this reached Number 12 in the UK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YuJZzuHDf8

Old Pop in an Oak remains one of my favourite follow up singles. The sheer balls of it.

This is wonderful.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: NJ Uncut on September 15, 2019, 03:39:47 AM
9 stages of their career. 9.

And one of them "controversial".

I know they're fucking massive in parts of Europe.

DrGreggles

Dusty Substance

A few years ago I would have suggested Sigue Sigue Sputnik but in the last couple of years I've met two people (have since become friends with both) who rate SSS as their all time favourite band. I DJ'd for one of said friend's 50th and the sole song he requested all night was Love Missille F1-11.

I can't imagine anyone in 2019 admitting to being a fan of the "second division" Britpop bands - Your Northern Uproars, Joyriders, Heavy Stereos etc.

lankyguy95

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on September 15, 2019, 06:09:10 PM
Foo Fighters
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Totally justifiable to be a fan of those bands in about 1998. Not really now.

Twed

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on September 15, 2019, 02:53:23 PM
It was two but they were both the same song.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: lankyguy95 on September 15, 2019, 08:24:34 PM
Totally justifiable to be a fan of those bands in about 1998. Not really now.

Even 1998 would be pushing it for the Chilis. 1985, maybe.

Ferris

Quote from: chveik on September 14, 2019, 02:37:27 PM
Yes

Yes are great you lunatic. I'll even admit to liking Blur. Come at me. Obviously blando radio 2 indie bands like Toploader etc, but my shout goes on Queen. They're just shit. Annoying, noisy, over the top pretentious pseudo-prog shit. This also goes for ABBA. How could anyone choose to listen to this pish?

"Ooh no they were pioneers in the use of vocal overdubs and recording techniques in the studio, you see-"

No, they're both shit, should have put more effort into not being shit instead of fluting about in studios/Sweden (for either band, respectively).

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 15, 2019, 06:42:57 PM
That's been sabotaged like the old So Solid Crew one, right?

I remember there was also a really good sabotage of the Blazing Squad one a few years back.

Bently Sheds

Train.
American Authors.

I must admit that I sometimes watch the BBC coverage of some festival like Glastonbury or T in the Park and gaze in amazement at the rapt audience singing along passionately to beige landfill guitar bands I've never even heard of like Don Broco. Does my nut in.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: sponk on September 16, 2019, 12:26:16 AM
Cardiacs

I know! Ooooh look at all this clever stuff we can do, but we're not prog no siree we're punk oh yes widdle de widdle de deee urr urr urr grrrr widdle i'm a naughty english boy sir pond fishy pondy kiss sharky fish look jim done a wee wee widdle widdle wi-ddl-eeee urg urg urg la la la la la la laaaa, la-la-la la aaaaaaaaaaa eeehhh screeeeeeeeeeeeeee dum dum dum ooof.

Truly the nadir of British music. I can vouch for the fact that every single one of their fans are complete knobheads

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on September 15, 2019, 09:20:48 PM
Even 1998 would be pushing it for the Chilis. 1985, maybe.

early 00s they were big as the rock band people who didn't like rock music liked

Quote from: thecuriousorange on September 13, 2019, 09:54:16 PM
Elbow

I was a big fan. Those first two albums are masterpieces - beautiful, intense and unsettling. The live performances were something else too. Then Guy Garvey fell in love and everything from their third album onwards has been music made for people who hire string quartets to play One Day Like This at their wedding.

Their recent setlists and best of album have seen them completely disown those early albums.