Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:14:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bands You Can't Imagine Anyone Being A Fan Of

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, September 13, 2019, 06:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

sevendaughters

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 18, 2019, 01:44:17 PM
Feeder

I wrote a review for the student paper that said something like "everyone who likes Feeder clearly has flannels on the side of their head instead of actual working ears" and some irate punter wrote in and sent a picture of his actual ear.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 18, 2019, 02:42:09 PM
I wrote a review for the student paper that said something like "everyone who likes Feeder clearly has flannels on the side of their head instead of actual working ears" and some irate punter wrote in and sent a picture of his actual ear.

Absolutely no-one comes out of the above tale looking good.

sevendaughters

holyzombiejesus

I work with a woman who is obsessed with the Bay City Rollers, to the extent that I no longer wear my red tartan scarf in cold weather as she always remarks on it. We have a white board in the office with our names and whereabouts on it and she stuck a photo of Les orwhateverthefuckhe'scalled next to her name. Someone cut his head off and left a speech bubble saying 'hey baby, have you seen my body?' and she got dead upset. Not as upset as a few months ago when one of them died, or when I asked her 'wasn't one of them a paedophile?' but, yeah, she loves them and I find it quite strange to still love a novelty band who haven't recorded for 40 years to the degree she does.

idunnosomename

did an irate man with flannels on the side of his head also write in demanding an apology for lumping him in with Feeder fans

ajsmith2

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on September 18, 2019, 02:53:09 PM
I work with a woman who is obsessed with the Bay City Rollers, to the extent that I no longer wear my red tartan scarf in cold weather as she always remarks on it. We have a white board in the office with our names and whereabouts on it and she stuck a photo of Les orwhateverthefuckhe'scalled next to her name. Someone cut his head off and left a speech bubble saying 'hey baby, have you seen my body?' and she got dead upset. Not as upset as a few months ago when one of them died, or when I asked her 'wasn't one of them a paedophile?' but, yeah, she loves them and I find it quite strange to still love a novelty band who haven't recorded for 40 years to the degree she does.

Well they were a massive teen sensation in their time. I'm assuming she's 'of age' (ie mid-late 50s) to have been part of their original obsessive Tartan Horde fanbase and it's just stuck since then. If she's significantly younger (or indeed older) then ok that is a bit more odd.

I wouldn't exactly call them a novelty band either. I mean their work was largely tacky disposable teen-orientated 70s Pop, but that's not really novelty music is it? In fact it's arguably the opposite, just bread and butter pop music with no novelty to it. FWIW, While their stuff has never been critically reassessed in the UK, there is a school of thought in the US that their kitschy pop legacy was an influence on the Ramones and other punk type acts.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I recall watching a documentary in which one of the Ramones - Tommy, I think - flat-out admitted to ripping off the Rollers' Saturday Night for Blitzkrieg Bop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BKKaKT_dtM

ajsmith2

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 19, 2019, 07:58:14 PM
I recall watching a documentary in which one of the Ramones - Tommy, I think - flat-out admitted to ripping off the Rollers' Saturday Night for Blitzkrieg Bop.

Wow, Les on drums and a backdrop that looks like a cursed swimming pool. Nice clip.

thenoise

Quote from: Dusty Substance on September 16, 2019, 11:13:14 PM
Mogwai always seemed like a bunch of laddy cunts to me.  I'm basing that entirely on a couple of TV interviews with them from 20 years ago.

Yeah I vaguely remember them banging on about wearing Kappa track suits and saying they were 'sport-goth', around the time of their blur shit shirts. Embarrassing how much I used to love them once.

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 19, 2019, 07:58:14 PM

Ramones ripping off Bay City Rollers ripping off The Strangeloves ripping off Bo Diddley

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on September 13, 2019, 09:46:32 PM
Keane.

They're playing the De La Warr Pavillion in Bexhill (their hometown) tonight. Not only is the gig totally sold out, according to the Pavillion's Facebook fans have travelled from Baltimore, Belgium, Netherlands, Portland and Argentina especially for it. Make of that what you will.

Neville Chamberlain

I was thinking of bands from Liverpool and my mind immediately turned to The Farm and I thought they'd be perfect for this thread - until I remember a semi-mate of mine from uni who listened to The Farm, literally to the exclusion of all other farms of music.

Deyv

Does anyone like Duran Duran? Well, anyone who matters?

wosl

I'm fond of certain tracks (The Chauffeur, Ordinary World).  I also like the fact the Duranies first guitarist suddenly quit on them and bolted to London, going on there to form the excellent Dif Juz, with his brother and others.  The fact that a group of showy, New Romantic enormodomers shares a connection with a faceless, reticent bunch of 4AD proto-post-rock/dub/jazz boundary-pushers is cute.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Deyv on September 20, 2019, 03:44:22 PM

I like 'em. They're no Japan, but for a while they were a great singles band (up to 1985).

My friend is a huge fan of the Duran spin-off band side project band, Arcadia. She even has an Arcadia tattoo.

Quote from: Deyv on September 20, 2019, 03:44:22 PM

Contrarian music scamp Chris Ott with an actually interesting podcast on Duran Duran: http://www.shallowrewards.org/podcast/big-thing-part-1/

Phil_A

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on September 20, 2019, 03:17:51 PM
I was thinking of bands from Liverpool and my mind immediately turned to The Farm and I thought they'd be perfect for this thread - until I remember a semi-mate of mine from uni who listened to The Farm, literally to the exclusion of all other farms of music.

Funnily enough I was a thinking of another Scouse band, Space. The kind of band whom you might smile nostalgically at if one of their singles came on the radio, but if anyone told you they were their favourite band on the entire world you would look at that person askance.

It's just too weird to imagine anyone being a fan of Space in 2019.

Ferris

Jake Thingray

purlieu

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 20, 2019, 06:54:23 PM
I was thinking of the Coral. Also scouse.
They lost it quite dramatically after about three years, but the idea of a band of teenagers playing psychedelia inspired by Love, Syd Barrett, Captain Beefheart and dub and taking it into the top 10 while knocking out 20 minute freakout versions of their songs at gigs still appeals to me. The early albums are great and they were quite adventurous at the time, especially given the other shite the NME were promoting.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on September 14, 2019, 08:54:21 AM
That whole song and video( maybe even the band) are overtly satirical, aren't they? I mean, look at the posters on the wall in that video. They've * got* to be taking the piss.

I forgot I posted in this thread, and yeah, it's definitely satirical, but the guys voice just irritates me so I still regret buying it.

As for Britpop, I fucking loved it, there were a lot of bands I had no time for (mostly those that were called Dad Rock), but Pulp, David Devant and His Spirit Wife, My Life Story, Keneckie, Supergrass, Strangelove, Ooberman, Gorkys, Suede, Boo Radleys, Belle & Sebastian, Ultrasound and a load of others were a huge amount of fun, and many bands had at least one good song.

Also: Re: Elbow, I remember really liking Powder Blue but then nothing else by them, but I haven't heard it in years and don't want to spoil my memories of them.

Quote from: Dusty Substance on September 20, 2019, 01:33:03 PM
They're playing the De La Warr Pavillion in Bexhill (their hometown) tonight. Not only is the gig totally sold out, according to the Pavillion's Facebook fans have travelled from Baltimore, Belgium, Netherlands, Portland and Argentina especially for it. Make of that what you will.

People who don't like music come from at least five places.

chveik

Ferris

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

STOP CALLING KENICKIE BRITPOP!

They were free- wheeling Indie Tunes merchants with no interest in the likes of the fucking Kinks whatsoever, so they were! And they wore it well!

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Dusty Substance on September 20, 2019, 04:49:29 PM
I like 'em. They're no Japan, but for a while they were a great singles band (up to 1985).

My friend is a huge fan of the Duran spin-off band side project band, Arcadia. She even has an Arcadia tattoo.

I don't mind some DD stuff, but always did prefer the art rockery of Arcadia and harder hitting rock of The Power Station.

But yeah - no problem with DD whatsoever.  I even think Le Bon's voice is fine, which an awful lot of hardcore DD fans would completely disagree with.