Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:42:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Brexit Thread 8 - Who Will Survive And What Will Be Left Of Them?

Started by Dr Rock, September 14, 2019, 05:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

continued from

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,72495.2970.html

So... I still say There Will Be No Brexit. But we were discussing the Lib-Dems who are currently doing their best to make that less likely.

Barry Admin

Sorry locked this instead of stickying it and only noticed lol, apologies

king_tubby

pancreas

Quote from: Barry Admin on September 14, 2019, 09:58:16 PM
Sorry locked this instead of stickying it and only noticed lol, apologies

You lied to the queen and then you prorogued the thread. You're the one that should be locked [up].

Ian Drunken Smurf

Dr Rock

No matter what happens they never dip below 30% in the polls. Maybe someone knows a point, maybe before Major vs Blair when they did, but there core base of cunts and stupid people is very loyal. The Tories could could elect a lying buffoon for a leader and have presided over a genocide of disableds and still not dip below 30%. Labour should be higher, ideally, but:

Polls at the beginning of the 2017 election campaign pointed towards an overwhelming Conservative victory. They were consistently hitting around 45% of the vote - sometimes even higher - with Labour down at around 25%. (Tories currently on about 32%).

In the end Tories got 36.9% of he vote share compared to Labour's 30.4%.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

If No Deal is prevented then Boris will have failed and reneged on his first promise. Surely then the Tories will slide further. If he undertakes ever more drastic measures to seal No Deal then he risks the destruction of his party in Parliament which in turn makes it more difficult to then win a majority, even if polling continues as it has done.

For Labour, you'd hope things could only get better once the campaign begins, and it's crucial the agenda gets widened from just Brexit. They need to either come to an arrangement with the Lib Dems or if not, then totally triangulate them with a forceful pro-Remain message. The movements so far towards a People's Vote have been done well and despite this being a lose lose issue, Corbyn has largely kept the party together. If No Deal happens and goes very badly Labour have clear open ground to fight an election on domestic issues AND administerial competence.

Dr Rock

Not sure if the polls will have properly taken into account all them newly registered, mostly young voters either.

Buelligan

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 15, 2019, 08:15:11 AM
If No Deal is prevented then Boris will have failed and reneged on his first promise. Surely then the Tories will slide further. If he undertakes ever more drastic measures to seal No Deal then he risks the destruction of his party in Parliament which in turn makes it more difficult to then win a majority, even if polling continues as it has done.

For Labour, you'd hope things could only get better once the campaign begins, and it's crucial the agenda gets widened from just Brexit. They need to either come to an arrangement with the Lib Dems or if not, then totally triangulate them with a forceful pro-Remain message. The movements so far towards a People's Vote have been done well and despite this being a lose lose issue, Corbyn has largely kept the party together. If No Deal happens and goes very badly Labour have clear open ground to fight an election on domestic issues AND administerial competence.

The LDs are such complete and utter sell-out shits, would it not be possible to work with the Greens?  I know people say that they're not strong enough and are too single issue but what other issue is bigger right now?  And the Greens are pretty honest and Caroline Lucas is ace, I think Labour should work with the Greens, if it allies itself to anyone* and together they should shine a bright light on the mealy mouthed double-dealing of those so-called "Liberal Democrats", leave them behind and take Britain forward into a less shitty world.

*Room for some Plaid and SNP in there too.

Alberon

The Leavers seem to be swinging towards the Tories on the grounds that Brexit means Brexit no matter what twat is in charge and the Lib Dems are surging due to their clear stance on Remain.

At the moment Labour's ambivalent stance seems to be hurting it far more than it helps.

Of course, Labour really advanced in the last General Election campaign, but Johnson is far more of a showman and campaigner than May so that is far from being guaranteed to happen again.

Dr Rock

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Dr Rock on September 15, 2019, 10:15:36 AM
Is he a good campaigner?

He's a showman, apparently. A Hulk. Anything you want him to be as long as he's not a Corbyn.

Alberon

Quote from: Dr Rock on September 15, 2019, 10:15:36 AM
Is he a good campaigner?

Sadly, he is. The only issue he's campaigning for is for him to be PM, admittedly. In any environment like the Commons he's utter dogshit, but in a rally of non-hostile people he can actually really whip a crowd up. A bit like his idol, Trump.

Quote from: Alberon on September 15, 2019, 10:10:59 AM
The Leavers seem to be swinging towards the Tories on the grounds that Brexit means Brexit no matter what twat is in charge and the Lib Dems are surging due to their clear stance on Remain.

At the moment Labour's ambivalent stance seems to be hurting it far more than it helps.

Of course, Labour really advanced in the last General Election campaign, but Johnson is far more of a showman and campaigner than May so that is far from being guaranteed to happen again.

Completely agree with this. 

I think we're heading for another hung parliament, with an alliance for remain (SNP, LD, GREEN, LAB) forming a coalition, hopefully keeping out the Torys and the Brexit party.

imitationleather

Quote from: Alberon on September 15, 2019, 11:58:12 AM
Sadly, he is. The only issue he's campaigning for is for him to be PM, admittedly. In any environment like the Commons he's utter dogshit, but in a rally of non-hostile people he can actually really whip a crowd up. A bit like his idol, Trump.

When has he been in front of big crowds like that? I can't think of any examples myself.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on September 15, 2019, 12:06:00 PM
Completely agree with this. 

I think we're heading for another hung parliament, with an alliance for remain (SNP, LD, GREEN, LAB) forming a coalition, hopefully keeping out the Torys and the Brexit party.

A coalition so paralysed by its fundamental to incompatibilities that it'll quickly descend into an ineffectual mess and lose the support of the country.

Brilliant. Congratulations. You've got what you wanted.

Dr Rock

Quote from: imitationleather on September 15, 2019, 12:12:03 PM
When has he been in front of big crowds like that? I can't think of any examples myself.

Agreed? When has he whipped up hostile crowds? I reckon he's going to do a shit job campaigning for the GE, apart from to Tories. Possibly not worse than May, but then again maybe worse. Look at that crap speech he did in front of the police the other week. Also depends on whether he's already ballsed up Brexit.

Paul Calf

He won't have any hostile crowds. They'll be carefully managed and controlled.

Alberon

That's my point. In front of informed crowds he's fucked, but in front of the average rally he'll get on well. He'll do much better than May who seemed to actively loathe every public aspect of being PM.

pancreas

Quote from: Paul Calf on September 15, 2019, 01:01:15 PM
A coalition so paralysed by its fundamental to incompatibilities that it'll quickly descend into an ineffectual mess and lose the support of the country.

Sounds familiar. 

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/sep/15/boris-johnson-when-in-doubt-erect-another-bridge

Lee going positively CaB like here

QuoteLater that day, on my Campbeltown hotel television, I saw Boris Piccaninny Watermelon Letterbox Cake Bumboys Vampires Haircut Wall-Spaffer Spunk-Burster Fuck-Business Fuck-the-Families Get-Off-My-Fucking-Laptop Girly-Swot Big-Girl's-Blouse Chicken-frit Turds Johnson declare his intention to build a bridge between Scotland and Northern Ireland, something, he quickly pointed out "that Jeremy Corbyn would be too chicken-frit to do!"

Turds has form here. In my newly published study of Brexit, March of the Lemmings, I detail Turds' previous declaration of bridge-building intent. On 18 January 2018, as the EU's transition deal stance hardened, and a discredited Turds doubled down on his disputed £350m NHS dividend lie, the then foreign secretary promised a 22-mile motorway crossing from England to France, an obvious dead cat distraction from the gathering Brexit storm.

Turds

Lee has created the next Maybot

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteIt is as if Turds has a strange bridge-based Tourette syndrome. Whenever he finds himself under pressure, Turds' default setting seems to be to announce, in a mad panic, that he will build some kind of bridge. And by the time of his Tuesday bridge announcement, Turds has been sorely stressed.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Paul Calf on September 15, 2019, 01:19:38 PM
He won't have any hostile crowds. They'll be carefully managed and controlled.

The Tory plan is to target Labour constituencies that voted Leave, that's why he was up in Doncaster last week. And not coming off well against a hostile local

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTi-f1vycLQ&t=11s

He had to have a heckler removed in Rochdale too.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Brexit or not, there are still many folk around there that wouldn't vote Tory if you had them beaten up and raped.

The last generation, or at least sons and daughters of the politically literate working class.

jobotic

Even if he performs badly the press here that both control and are controlled by him will present it as a victory.

He lied directly when he said he didn't say spaff up the wall. He did say it, there's evidence. But who fucking cares? Who will tell you that? The BBC?

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 15, 2019, 02:19:59 PM
Brexit or not, there are still many folk around there that wouldn't vote Tory if you had them beaten up and raped.

The last generation, or at least sons and daughters of the politically literate working class.

True, but some of them may vote for the Brexit party though.

Zetetic

So long as they don't vote Labour, I can't imagine that the Tory party gives a shit.

Dr Rock

Pretty sure they are worried about them voting Brexit Party.

Replies From View

Strange; that's normally such a persuasive gesture.