Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,173
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:18:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Brexit Thread 8 - Who Will Survive And What Will Be Left Of Them?

Started by Dr Rock, September 14, 2019, 05:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gib

Quote from: jamiefairlie on September 16, 2019, 11:21:26 PM
How on earth is he so successful with 'the ladies'? I mean, I know attraction is subjective but by all measures he's just a totally charmless, lumbering shambolic mess of a human being, I just can't see it.

"So what first attracted you to the millionaire Paul Daniels?"

Ambient Sheep

This is quite depressing:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/sep/16/bettels-anger-highlights-a-bleak-truth-the-eu27-just-wants-britain-to-go

Quote[...]And as Bettel's exasperation made clear, officials in Brussels, and leaders in national capitals, are running out of patience. Hopes that Britain might eventually give Brexit up as a bad job and remain in the EU are giving way to prayers that it won't.

Many now dread the prospect, remote as it may seem, of a second referendum. "Why on earth would you want a country so bitterly and hopelessly divided to stay?" asked one diplomat. "The wounds are going to last generations. How damaging would that be to Europe? Come back, maybe – but leave and sort things out first."
[...]
For all those reasons, the EU would, on the whole, prefer Britain to leave now, if possible quite soon. And as Bettel's irritation showed, it is fast tiring of a psychodrama that is costing it time, money and anxiety, and that is none of its making.

ajsmith2

Fucking hell, what a shite interviewee Boris is. Hopeless. Giving May a run for her money: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx84i91prx4

NoSleep

After WWII ended Britain voted a Labour government in, so bring it on.

Cuellar

The country was also bombed to fuck and loads of people died

Norton Canes

BlodwynPig

QuoteYou will be added to the Register on 2 December 2019, unless there is an election called before then, in which case you will be added to the register in time to be able to vote at that election.

buttgammon

danielreal2k

Norton Canes

jobotic

QuotePannick says the PM has not made a witness statement giving his reasons for proroguing parliament. He refused, even though his motives were key to this case.

Pannick says, if the PM had provided a witness statement, he would have been open to cross examination.

He says the documents supplied by the government do not explain why prorogation had to last so long.

Cumming: fuck 'em, we don't have to justify ourselves to anyone.

Spoon of Ploff

Will we get the opportunity to say 'Pannick on a street in London' at some point today?

Cuellar

Sort of ignores the point that the court in London made that it's not for the courts to decide how long a given prorogation should last. They say that's a political matter, and they can't rule on those.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Cuellar on September 17, 2019, 11:19:05 AM
Sort of ignores the point that the court in London made that it's not for the courts to decide how long a given prorogation should last. They say that's a political matter, and they can't rule on those.

Presumably they can question the reasons for the length of this prorogation though?

Cuellar

Well I dunno, the reasons will presumably be political too.

jobotic

Don't they need to decide of the Scottish court's view of prorogation was reasonable?

Urinal Cake

The length lends value to his suggested motive- frustration of parliament. He's not suggesting that the length be changed because Johnson's reason -the Queen's Speech- doesn't require that amount of time.

Dr Rock

They talk quite slowly, I recommend watching it from the beginning on 1.5 speed.

Cuellar

QuoteLady Hale asks which bills were lost during prorogation.

Pannick says he will find out.

Do your bloody homework, tit.

danielreal2k

I don't think the Judges care tbh, probably thinking about what's for lunch.  yum yum.

Cuellar

Pannick should have done his homework.

"What were the practical effects of the prorogation, what bills weren't debated?"

"er"

danielreal2k

I do think for all Pannick's efforts, they will let him finish rambling on and say "well thanks for all that but i dont think we will bother going forward it;s not for the courts blah blah" 

Cuellar

Alberon

Quote from: jobotic on September 17, 2019, 11:22:51 AM
Don't they need to decide of the Scottish court's view of prorogation was reasonable?

This is the key question, isn't it? If it's just on English rules then there's no hope. If they're judging it on Scottish law it has a chance.

Quote from: danielreal2k on September 17, 2019, 11:59:04 AM
I do think for all Pannick's efforts, they will let him finish rambling on and say "well thanks for all that but i dont think we will bother going forward it;s not for the courts blah blah" 

Summing up, Lady Hale concluded "what I don't understand, right, is why we don't just get on with it."

Replies From View