Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:02:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Why is Michael McIntyre hated?

Started by TheMonk, September 16, 2019, 03:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMonk

Honest question: why is Michael McIntyre so hated?
I've never paid much attention to him, but someone sent me this and it's actually just very good observational standup comedy performed well.
https://youtu.be/1LoXPbsRpVo

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Maybe because his contribution to the music world is somewhat limited.

olliebean

The way he pretended he'd had to start from nothing and rise through the ranks of comedy, and didn't have any doors opened for him by his accomplished and well-connected comedy writing father, and in particular an interview I read with him where he mentioned how hard it was when he decided to really go for it in comedy because he had to start out doing gigs in the back rooms of pubs and only being paid £150 a pop.

NJ Uncut

(prepares answer that works in Oscillations OR comedy chat)

Derivative and cynically mass market. His lyrics are woeful, in the grand theme of things. The sort of work that gets fans who like to just "go out and see (live music/comedy)".  I admire the fact he tries to be an energetic performer but even that's skin-deep.

Also he is the spitting image of an old boss of mine who did the dirty on the woman he just married, then he ran away down south without telling anyone, her wondering wtf was happening until the divorce email chain was begun by him.

Can't have helped McIntyre.

Neville Chamberlain

His face is also profoundly irritating.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on September 16, 2019, 09:01:54 AM
His face is also profoundly irritating.

His face always looked American to me. In fact he looks quite distractingly reminiscent of his near-namesake Mike Myers.

Norton Canes

Petey Pate

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on September 16, 2019, 05:05:30 AM
Maybe because his contribution to the music world is somewhat limited.

Though he did produce some Whitesnake albums. Not really a fan of his comedy but you can't deny that he's a man of multiple talents.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: ajsmith2 on September 16, 2019, 09:17:08 AM
His face always looked American to me. In fact he looks quite distractingly reminiscent of his near-namesake Mike Myers.

A bit of Deputy Dawg in there, too.

sevendaughters

this thread (aside from being in the wrong sub) feels a bit dated. no one hates Michael McIntyre. he's morphed into a Sat eve British Eoin McLove presenter in an entirely predictable way. he's beneath contempt. his work isn't blue or offensive, he doesn't pick on people, it's just well-crafted hack work. so what's the fuss?

NJ Uncut

Why did Michael McIntyre run across the road?

Every other comedian before him walked across it

Captain Z

Basically Peter Kay's entire act reworked for middle class parents.

The David Cameron of comedians.

madhair60

Because he's not funny hope this helps

poodlefaker

He never indicates on roundabouts. Ever.

Quote from: TheMonk on September 16, 2019, 03:55:38 AM
Honest question: why is Michael McIntyre so hated?
I've never paid much attention to him, but someone sent me this and it's actually just very good observational standup comedy performed well.
https://youtu.be/1LoXPbsRpVo

I briefly worked in a comedy club and he was a notoriously shit person to have to work with apparently...it was at a Glee Club and due to him being so unpopular they'd put his poster up in the staff bogs and gradually defaced it more and more. Just really rude and treated the staff like serfs...so its at least no surprise that he's not thought of highly behind the scenes

Lordofthefiles

He just talks, like Frank Sinatra but a fat cunt.

Shit Good Nose

His face always looked American to me.

He's always referred to himself as looking "a bit Chinese-y".

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 16, 2019, 10:34:57 AM
his work isn't...offensive

I expect that line is now.

JesusAndYourBush

As I was scrolling down I was thinking "He looks a bit... erm... what's a non-offensive way of saying it..."

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 16, 2019, 02:34:41 PM

Yeah, what he said.

jobotic

this thread (aside from being in the wrong sub) feels a bit dated. no one hates Michael McIntyre. he's morphed into a Sat eve British Eoin McLove presenter in an entirely predictable way. he's beneath contempt. his work isn't blue or offensive, he doesn't pick on people, it's just well-crafted hack work. so what's the fuss?

I agree but I still think "Michael McIntyre's bog Show" has to be said in the same way that Alan Partridge says "Noel's House Party".

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 16, 2019, 02:34:41 PM

I remember the late great Holy Moly gossip website telling a story about how Michael McIntyre's weed dealer from his uni days would call him "Chinese Hugh Grant".

poodlefaker

Leaves his bins out on the pavement for days after the binmen have been. Always.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Captain Z on September 16, 2019, 11:08:18 AM
Basically Peter Kay's entire act reworked for middle class parents.

Garlic bruschetta?!

Gregory Torso

He broke up Public Enemy when he started sleeping with Professor Griff.

pigamus

his work isn't blue or offensive, he doesn't pick on people, it's just well-crafted hack work. so what's the fuss?

Quotehe's beneath contempt.

Right.

checkoutgirl

His face always looked American to me.

I used to think that for ages too. I can't explain why. Also his body shape is sort of American too. It goes out towards the middle and then in again. I find his posh face and posh accent inexplicably irritating. Add in his very average everyman comedy and rampant popularity and wealth and you have a recipe for loathing and revulsion. If I see him on telly I have to switch over immediately. The man drawer, fuck off.

Finding out about his connected father only makes me like him less. All this is with the qualifier that his existence doesn't cross my mind from one month to the next. I don't watch anything he's on and rarely if ever hear him mentioned by anyone I'm around.

poodlefaker

Keeps his alsation on the balcony while he's out at work. Everyone in the flats has to listen to it barking all day.

Inspector Norse

He goes in the Ten Items or Less [sic] queue with a full trolley.