Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:17:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The 100 best TV shows of the 21st century - According to the Guardian

Started by Cuellar, September 16, 2019, 09:56:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/sep/16/100-best-tv-shows-of-the-21st-century

Agree with a lot of these, but I think it underrates a lot of stuff, particularly American comedies.

It's Always Sunny at just 75?! Below Downton bloody Abbey?!

No.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Yeah, IASIP should have been higher.

Inevitable/ #30 should have been a lot higher, too. / Inevitable

No Spartacus?

no, hush yer whisht

Over four seasons, Spartacus was one of the best bits of telly of recent times and did that rarest of things - ended the whole thing beautifully.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Over- The- Top and underfunny childishness- and Nihilism queasy admixture comedy series " Nighty Night" at # 16 ? Bollocks.

sponk

Nathan Barley made it but Nathan 4 U didn't. Atlanta and Fleabag wouldn't have made the list if they weren't so recent, certainly not the top ten.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Fleabag definitely didnae deserve to be so high up, that second series marked a massive fall in quality, especially the near- nauseating last episode.

Dex Sawash

sevendaughters

fuck, yeah, no Nathan For You in there. this list is fucking slapdash.

Ja'moke

peanutbutter

Stunned fleabag didn't make the top 3 tbh, London is Fleabag crazy these days. Went to the cinema last Thursday and the spillover from people trying to see a screening of the fleabag live show was enough to almost  fill up a 200+ person screening of Pain & Glory.

Is Nathan for You seriously not on the list at all? That's a crazy omission...

Chollis

No Nathan, Gomorrah, Chernobyl, Boardwalk Empire, Stranger Things, True Detective S1? Band of Brothers 68th? Nah mate.

rjd2

Surprised Fleabag was not number 1.

No Rectify either. Get to fuck.

Jumblegraws

I love Garth Marenghi's Darkplace but what the fuck is it doing on this list?

I would liked to have seen Paranoia Agent featured but if shows mentioned upthread were snubbed then what chance did it stand?

sevendaughters

NoSleep

No Bojack (should be in the top ten at least), no Rick & Morty.

Captain Z

Also several shows that began in the 90s and scraped into to the 00s. Why Buffy but no Friends? What is point. A list of the best shows just of the last decade would have been slightly more interesting.

Replies From View

Makes me realise I haven't really watched much telly this century, which is good going for a man who's under 100 years old.

NoSleep

Quote from: Dex Sawash on September 16, 2019, 12:26:02 PM
Chris Isaak show left out of another list.

Let them pretend they haven't seen this. Fascinating late night viewing I remember this to be. I've found a download of several episodes which I've yet to rewatch.

VelourSpirit

haven't read it yet but i predict fleabag will not only be on the list but will also be too high

Cuellar

QuoteGuardian Pick
Pointless should definitely be on this list. The IT Crowd is a lot better than several of the comedies on here too.

Dare I say on here that quite a lot of Top Gear was a fair bit than, say, The Mighty Boosh. It had its issues but when it was good it was very good.

HMmmmmmmmmm

Old Nehamkin

Gogglebox makes the cut but Harry Hill's TV Burp doesn't. yeah ok

VelourSpirit

Quote from: TwinPeaks on September 16, 2019, 09:03:35 PM
haven't read it yet but i predict fleabag will not only be on the list but will also be too high

FUCKING HELL SURELY NOT THAT HIGH THOUGH? 8TH??? oh fucking come on that is ridiculous. absolutely maddening. one above peep show, for what? she's better at making faces into the camera? she's not! twin peaks the return at 23rd too. i only looked at this to make myself irate.

peanutbutter

I think the current period in TV (or whatever it evolves into) will be looked at quite unfavourably. There's absolutely huge amounts of money being thrown at the wall and very little of it holds up very well once the hype of the initial run goes away (just like most TV beforehand). Did none of these new money outlets focus on snatching the talented people who helped develop ideas from behind the scenes? Was the focus solely on bingeability? On some of the Netflix shows it's felt like the person was figuring out core aspects as they went along (Master of None was especially amateurish at times).

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Ja'moke on September 16, 2019, 01:16:33 PM
The list can get to fuck.

all
such lists can get to fuck. moronic, space-filler, clickbait, ad-infested.... slow news week is it, guardian?
the best thing you did this year was let that cryptic crossword through on friday last week, with "bollocks to brexit" as the nina.

Thursday

Quote from: TwinPeaks on September 16, 2019, 09:08:23 PM
FUCKING HELL SURELY NOT THAT HIGH THOUGH? 8TH??? oh fucking come on that is ridiculous. absolutely maddening. one above peep show, for what? she's better at making faces into the camera? she's not! twin peaks the return at 23rd too. i only looked at this to make myself irate.

Well I don't care that it's above Peep Show, which isn't that good though

Anyway I hate this shit. Someone makes a bad list and people react to it. Just let it go, it's not going to affect anything.

Replies From View

You say that, but who in their right mind isn't still fuming that The Simpsons came top in that Channel 4 countdown of 100 Greatest Kids' TV Shows in 2008?

IT'S NOT A KIDS SHOW

Why even put Twin Peaks: The Return on the list if you're not going to put it #1?