Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 06:54:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The 100 best TV shows of the 21st century - According to the Guardian

Started by Cuellar, September 16, 2019, 09:56:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on September 16, 2019, 09:34:00 PMguardian?
the best thing you did this year was let that cryptic crossword through on friday last week, with "bollocks to brexit" as the nina.

For anybody else who, like me, missed this: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/crossword-compiler-smuggles-bollocks-brexit-20047910

dirkgonnadirk

all you blokes ranting absolutely shouldn't look at their top 100 movies list. this one is almost perfect by comparison.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on September 17, 2019, 02:16:09 AM
Why even put Twin Peaks: The Return on the list if you're not going to put it #1?

I dunno, just reading the words Twin Peaks: The Return warms me to any piece of writing.  Well...provided it isn't: 'Fuck Twin Peaks: The Return.'

If people are nomming N4U, though, I'll add Review With Forrest MacNeil.

mothman

Quote from: rjd2 on September 16, 2019, 02:47:37 PM
No Rectify either. Get to fuck.

Not seen it, but heard enough rave about it here to note its absence. And The Leftovers - another CaB favourite - only at 87. No Battlestar Galactica, either, I don't think?

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on September 17, 2019, 02:16:09 AM
Why even put Twin Peaks: The Return on the list if you're not going to put it #1?

I guess you can argue that stuff like The Sopranos and The Wire have more impact as television, while The Return was off in a field all its very own. Should certainly have been top ten for its impact as an event and as an artistic endeavour though.

Biggest omission there for me is Bojack Horseman. Will also put a word in for Fargo.

Considering that this century has supposedly been a "golden age" for TV, there's a hell of a lot of dreck on that list.

mothman

After reading that article I briefly considered starting a thread titled "The 100 best TV shows the Guardian turned their nose up at."

24 so low too! It got silly towards the end and possibly hasn't aged well (I'll have to rewatch), but it's surely one of the more important TV shows this century. Don't recall anything being quite so breakneck or full of twists before 24, and is surely one of the major players in terms of creating this 'boxset' binging culture we have now.

Edit: similar could be said of Lost, even though I don't particularly care for it.

phes

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on September 16, 2019, 09:07:53 PM
Gogglebox makes the cut but Harry Hill's TV Burp doesn't. yeah ok

I think Gogglebox deserves its place though tbh. There's some utter fucking dross in there and shows like Fleabag that are OK but wouldn't make the cut if a top 100 was compiled by someone who wasn't a fucking nincompoop.

Nighty Night at 16 and Justified at 88. Justified is a top 20 show. It's impeccable.

And writing a top 100 and not including The Amazing Race. Absolutely baffling. Another top 20 show. That's like compiling a best drama list and managing to overlook The Wire

I opened this list to revel in some seething anger and it didn't disappoint

phes

Quote from: mothman on September 17, 2019, 10:44:34 PM
After reading that article I briefly considered starting a thread titled "The 100 best TV shows the Guardian turned their nose up at."

Don't want to steal your idea but I would appreciate this!

I'm struggling to find stuff to watch atm and every list I read is trash and samey and contains some really dire entries, so I'm not inclined to trust them at all. Often don't agree with posters' assessment of shows on here but very rarely if ever watch a recommendation I think is bad

Funcrusher

mothman

Quote from: phes on September 18, 2019, 01:45:08 PM
Don't want to steal your idea but I would appreciate this!

I'm struggling to find stuff to watch atm and every list I read is trash and samey and contains some really dire entries, so I'm not inclined to trust them at all. Often don't agree with posters' assessment of shows on here but very rarely if ever watch a recommendation I think is bad

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,75300.0.html

EOLAN

At this rate that they are putting these out, by the end of the month we will be able to produce a CaB top 50 of Guardian Top 50/100 lists of the 21st century.

Bazooka

Why does the "News" never make these lists, regardless of the content the news produces more episodes than any other tv shows.

Blue Jam

I like Fresh Meat and The Inbetweeners but neither belong on this list. Both of them better than BoJack Horseman???!!

The Mighty Boosh can fuck off, obviously.

Gulftastic

Buffy below Gavin & Stacey?

Gavin & Stacy at all?

Fuck off, list.