Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 03:09:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I'm mentally better than I was earlier this year :)

Started by Noonling, September 16, 2019, 06:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noonling

I'm really glad this place exists for people to vent and I hope people continue to find it valuable to talk through their issues (however silly they may feel), but I thought I'd make a thread about feeling better!

I was pretty damn awful earlier this year. I'm no good at discussing emotions, but yeah... The lowest place I've been for maybe 15 years.

I switched meds after I was at my lowest point as I feared they had started to make me worse. I've never felt entirely sure that meds work for me - they certainly aren't the miracle some people find them to be, but I always seem to function better on them than the few times I've tried not being on them. I also tried some counselling, which I can happily say was useless - I do not believe my MH is rooted in any trauma, nor do I have any anxiety or low self-esteem to fix (weird for someone with depression, I know), and while the woman I saw was lovely it would have made no difference if I left the house once a week to speak to a brick wall.

BUT... I've been getting better, through time and effort (and meds and vitamins). I got good enough to be employed again and now I'm a month into it with no issues! I eat more food than before! I no longer lie moping in bed until my bladder is close to bursting! I started keeping a daily track of my moods via Daylio and while it is mostly apathy (this month so far: 3 good days, 12 apathy, 1 bad) it's not an uncomfortable apathy, and the bad has been obviously much reduced.

I'm almost back to my normal level of functioning - its still lower than most people's level and I guess it always will be, but I am still really pleased (maybe even a little proud?) that I've bounced back.

Buelligan

And keep thinking and feeling good about what you've achieved, it's a virtuous circle and a beautiful and healing bit of kit.  And telling other people about it spreads the goodness too. 

Glebe

Pingers

Good to hear, it's always very positive to hear when someone has managed to claw their way further from the abyss. I don't know how your winters normally go, but if they are not great then it's one of the few things I feel I can give advice on. Keep at it!

weekender

Hang on, that's four positive posts in a row, can't be doing with that.

It'll probably rain tomorrow, and you won't have checked the forecast and won't have taken an umbrella to work.

Small Man Big Horse

That's great to hear good sir, and long may it continue.

pancreas

Twit 2

Cerys

Fantastic news!  Have a huge Welsh hug.  It's huge.  It's Welsh.  Have it.

RoadMaintenanceTycoon

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I'm happy for you, Noonling.Long may this state continue ( your being in a good place mentally, not my me being happy for you for a long time, I'd be a right soppy cunt, then ).

Noonling

You can't give a single word response to that, otherwise it looks suspicious! It at least needs to be jazzed up with a .gif!

NJ Uncut

I'm better at being mental than I was earlier this year.

Or,

I'm earlier at being better than I was, mental this year.

Or

Aw fuck this. Glad for you OP!