Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:25:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

1977 Myra Hindley parole discussion

Started by massive bereavement, September 16, 2019, 08:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

massive bereavement

Maybe I should have placed this in the youtube thread but thought it deserved one of its' own, an extraordinary piece of television uploaded only a few weeks ago, so few have probably seen it.

Myra Hindley's sister Maureen (face obscured in shadow), Lord Longford and the mother of Leslie Anne Downing all in the same studio taking part in a LIVE BBC2 discussion programme. The odd clip has turned up before but this is the full 47 minutes, an absolute must watch if you have any interest in the case.

The format of the programme is clumsy at times, there's an excruciatingly embarrassing moment when Longford is invited to walk across the studio floor to speak to a nun on the phone and a brief but very uncomfortable exchange between a Manchester journalist (who believed Hindley should be up for parole) and Downing's mother, but overall it's an interesting insight into perceptions just 11 years after Brady and Hindley were sent to prison.

Maureen Hindley would be dead just three years later (almost to the day) and I think this must be the only time she spoke in public.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1qbVllbx6k

Blumf

'Brass Tacks', did that inspire Brass Eye's title?

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Blumf on September 16, 2019, 09:40:02 PM
'Brass Tacks', did that inspire Brass Eye's title?

I thought 'brass eye' was slang for an anatomical feature that most of us can't see our own one of without a mirror & some discomfort.

Ambient Sheep

Both of the above.

It's a common hypothesis that it's a merger of two BBC2 current affairs programmes: Brass Tacks (1977-1988) and Public Eye (1989-96, not the 1965-75 ITV private-eye show), indeed it's been stated before on this very website and is even on Wikipedia (with a "[citation needed]"), but there's no real evidence for it.  It IS scientific factplausible, though.

And yes, it sounds like it can mean "arsehole" too.  That's the joke.

Apparently the OP's edition of Brass Tacks was the first-ever one: talk about starting with a bang!

I wish I could watch it, but I know I wouldn't cope.  Sorry, aptly-usernamed OP.