Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:06:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Is the latest Green Day album deliberately shit?

Started by marquis_de_sad, September 17, 2019, 12:36:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marquis_de_sad

How could you tell the difference hahahahaa

The theory goes:
- this is their last contractually obliged album for their record label (Warner Bros)
- they don't like their current record label and can't wait to leave
- they deliberately made the cover ugly (minimal t-shirt sales) and put a naughty word in the album title
- they made the album only just long enough to make it qualify as an album (26 minutes)

I've only heard the title track, and it is indeed terrible. But it's still a song. One thing that's noticeable is that Billie Joe's voice is barely recognisable as he sings in a falsetto throughout that's buried under distortion. And it doesn't sound like a Green Day song in general, more like I dunno the Mooney Suzuki or something.

I buy the theory, real upper tier mainstream success seemed to break the brain of the frontman quite dramatically so anything is possible

Noodle Lizard

Oh wow haha, that really is awful.  Not that I've ever had much respect for Green Day, but that's a real downgrade nevertheless.

One of the comments had it right:  sounds like music from an iPod commercial (in 2005).

sevendaughters

my first encounter with this was someone posting their promo line for the record, which is

Quotethis record is The New!
soul, Motown,  glam and manic anthemic. Punks,  freaks and punishers!
The Dirty messy . The Stink. ,

which I took to mean "I've finally heard Ted Leo"

And this single sounds like a major label attempt to do a Ted Leo.

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on September 17, 2019, 11:18:12 AM
Oh wow haha, that really is awful.  Not that I've ever had much respect for Green Day, but that's a real downgrade nevertheless.

One of the comments had it right:  sounds like music from an iPod commercial (in 2005).

"The all new Ford 2020. Built for the toughest of drives with all the comfort in the word."

sick burn

purlieu

2019 and Green Day discover Does it Offend You, Yeah?

kngen

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 17, 2019, 11:24:31 AM
my first encounter with this was someone posting their promo line for the record, which is

Funnily enough, my first reaction was 'Are they trying to sound like Chisel?'

Which has at least made me pull out my copy of 8am All Day, cos I haven't listened to that in years.

Twed

I think they just phoned it in because they're old and rich and just wanted to do enough to work to avoid getting sued. If I was in their position I wouldn't want to summon the energy to be deliberately shit. That takes effort.

imitationleather

Quote from: Twed on September 17, 2019, 04:24:24 PM
I think they just phoned it in because they're old and rich and just wanted to do enough to work to avoid getting sued. If I was in their position I wouldn't want to summon the energy to be deliberately shit. That takes effort.

Yeah rather than it being a calculated attempt at being bad to me it just sounds like there was zero effort involved.

If they were trying to be shit on purpose I think it would all feel a lot more knowing.

marquis_de_sad

There is probably a lot of truth to this when it comes to the music. The artwork though:

QDRPHNC

Twed

madhair60

i like it okay it makes me want to play Burnout 3 on PS2

wosl

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on September 17, 2019, 04:44:34 PM
There is probably a lot of truth to this when it comes to the music. The artwork though:

The question of how deliberately bad it's meant to be aside, this appears in the Terrible Album Covers thread, where it fails to be as terrible as the cover of Bowie's Reality, which features there in the post directly above it.

take away the weird Art Attack font on the band name and the vomiting unicorn and the cover would be passable

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: imitationleather on September 17, 2019, 04:40:14 PM
If they were trying to be shit on purpose I think it would all feel a lot more knowing.

more entertaining too.

I would have loved it if the new Tool artwork was like this. The third eye psychedelic experience is getting predictable, vomiting unicorns for the kidz is where it's at.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on September 17, 2019, 10:19:22 PM
take away the weird Art Attack font on the band name and the vomiting unicorn and the cover would be passable

greenman

I'm guessing the short length is an attempt to look a bit more genuinely punk as well.

Noodle Lizard

You do wonder why, in this day and age, a band that big even needs to be on a label at all.  Is it just for the upfront cash?  Seems stupid, really.

Noodle Lizard

There must be something in the water.  I really can't get my head around how a successful band whose members at least claim to have been primarily inspired by genuinely subversive or experimental artists (didn't Green Day cite Flipper as one of their biggest influences once?) can make all that money, gain such a big platform and then do ... what they've been doing for the past 20 or 30 years.  If this is their "fuck you" album ... it sounds an awful lot like they're trying to chase what's popular.  If there was even an ounce of the "punk rock" spirit in them to begin with, aren't there a million other things they could do with that platform?  It so rarely happens.  I don't get it, unless these bands never actually gave a fuck about anything in the first place.  That's what I'm leaning towards with Green Day.

popcorn

Isn't the "they must have done this just to get out of their record label" argument the thing fans always say when bands release a shite album?

buzby

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 17, 2019, 11:24:31 AM

Funnily enough, Leo was on Baerkley-based indie label Lookout!, who released Green Day's first 2 albums and EPs. They forced the label's closure in 2005 after reclaiming the rights to their early recordings in an unpaid royalties dispute.

sevendaughters

Quote from: buzby on September 18, 2019, 11:44:14 AM
Funnily enough, Leo was on Baerkley-based indie label Lookout!, who released Green Day's first 2 albums and EPs. They forced the label's closure in 2005 after reclaiming the rights to their early recordings in an unpaid royalties dispute.

Knew they were on Lookout! and wasn't being facetious about the Leo/Chisel thing (reminds me of when the rhythm section of Muse would do Lightning Bolt as a jam onstage but sounded like a weak facsimile) but didn't know they basically killed them off.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: popcorn on September 18, 2019, 11:32:44 AM
Isn't the "they must have done this just to get out of their record label" argument the thing fans always say when bands release a shite album?

Yes.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on September 17, 2019, 10:19:22 PM
it's just a detail of american idiot though

in that sense it is a lot like Bowie's The Last Day where he just put the title in a white square over Heroes

great minds get ripped off by the crap version of the kinks

kngen

Quote from: buzby on September 18, 2019, 11:44:14 AM

Mmm, it was more that Larry Livermore was a shady bastard who hadn't been paying royalties to a ton of bands. It'd been a longtime coming, and was no surprise to anyone in the Bay Area. Also, Lookout pulling out of their deal with Mordam contributed a fair bit to the latter's demise, so what goes around ...

I'm no fan of Green Day (apart from this: https://youtu.be/oTLF9b9fEMA - still great, although the Skene Records version was better), but they've done their fair share in keeping Gilman St afloat despite the massive amount of gentrification in that area, so fair fucks to them.

Edit: Urgh, just looked up on discogs how much the green vinyl version of their first LP goes for these days - about 10 times what I sold mine for. Why do I do it myself?

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 18, 2019, 01:38:49 PM
it's just a detail of american idiot though

in that sense it is a lot like Bowie's The Last Day where he just put the title in a white square over Heroes

great minds get ripped off by the crap version of the kinks

yes, that wasn't hard to clock. the obvious appropriation would have been passable as a punkish, postmodern gesture but its let down by the garish design choices