Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:46:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Chisels

Started by Jittlebags, September 17, 2019, 12:56:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jittlebags

Tell me your chisel anecdotes. Especially from the viewpoint that surprisingly they have more than one cutting edge leading to red raw fingers.

Twed

Blumf

I have my great-great-grandfather's cold chisel. Oldest tool I own.

Twed

Cerys

I use a chisel when chipping ice from the freezer or calcified foulness from the toilet outflow.  Not the same chisel for both, though.

Blumf

touchingcloth

I have 7 (7) chisels.

CRAZY! Right?

Not really. 5 (5) of them are in a set and they are all different sizes. If I need to chisel something small I will pick the smallest or second smallest chisel. If I need to chisel something larger then I will select one of the larger chisels, but some things sometimes need to be chiselled which are larger than even my largest chisel is suitable for and so I do not chisel.

I have 1 (1) chisel of a medium size, but which has become rusty and blunt. It has also got dings and chips in the blade where I have whacked it on nails. I do not use this chisel for chiselling but I sometimes use it for smashing nails.

I have 1 (1) chisel the same as the last one but a little different.

Jasha

Quote from: Blumf on September 17, 2019, 01:29:11 AM
I have my great-great-grandfather's cold chisel. Oldest tool I own.

It's almost as cold as him then

Alberon

I have a chisel I made in metalwork at school. Never actually used it in all these years since, though.

paruses

Great idea for a thread this and very timely as it has reminded me I need to do some micro-bezel work on mine. I don't have anything like TC's collection. I have 6 (6). Still, early days.

Buelligan

I re-sharpened one of my wood chisels using the village forge's grinding wheel recently.  It was successful.

On grinding wheel anecdotes, a neighbour showed me the grinding wheel made by his great grandfather the other day.  A circular grindstone, very worn, mounted on a saw horse and powered by an extremely ancient pedals/chain arrangement from a bicycle.  Fascinating stuff.

On old tool anecdotes, I have the trenching spade that my great uncle used in over here during some war or other.  Also a very sharp fork I saw him threaten my father with.  Happy memories.

touchingcloth

I still have my father's old ducking stool. He started calling it his "dicking stool" shortly before the conviction.

GMTV

When the times up you'll hear this noise

Jittlebags

Quote from: Buelligan on September 17, 2019, 07:53:40 PM
I re-sharpened one of my wood chisels using the village forge's grinding wheel recently.  It was successful.

On grinding wheel anecdotes, a neighbour showed me the grinding wheel made by his great grandfather the other day.  A circular grindstone, very worn, mounted on a saw horse and powered by an extremely ancient pedals/chain arrangement from a bicycle.  Fascinating stuff.

On old tool anecdotes, I have the trenching spade that my great uncle used in over here during some war or other.  Also a very sharp fork I saw him threaten my father with.  Happy memories.

Chisel Gold. That's the type of stuff I'm after. I DO worry about resharpening my chisel. I've done 20 or so dado joints today, and am beginning to feel a bit of attenuation to the cut.

Dex Sawash

I've got a nice set of wood chisels in a case, there's a wood brace screwed across the shafts securing the chisels in the case so they don't get fucked up floating loose. That's just enough faff that I don't bother to get them out and make do with a screwdriver and a hammer. Fucking dozens of cold chisels around. Best chisel is an 18" bit for my air chisel that I use to blast wheel bearing races off of hubs.

Sorry, wrong thread.

touchingcloth

What's best tool for general?

Dex Sawash

Patton liked a riding crop

Brian Freeze

What you making Jittlebags?

One of the most important things about yer sharpening of your chisel is getting the back flat. I was told to spend longer on the back than the cutting edge.

Ive been after a cranked chisel (not gouge) for ages and keep being repulsed by the swan neck ones that keep cropping up when I do a search for them. A wrong uns chisel if i ever saw one.

The last search turned me on to harpoon chisels and sickle chisels. Japanese of course.

Brian Freeze

Also - chiselling twat! - is one of my most favourite insults.

Jittlebags

Quote from: Brian Freeze on September 18, 2019, 02:31:29 AM
What you making Jittlebags?

Lean to greenhouse at the back of the shed. Making dado joints (although they may be called something else in this context) for supporting roof support cross members.

Very satisfying is a bit of chiseling.

Jittlebags

I'm considering another 'tool' thread. Maybe spokeshave, maybe centre punch? Wooden vs plastic mallet could have a bit of mileage?

Buelligan

Fucking centre punch.  Do not get me started.  I have two, I always put them away, they are never there and then I randomly discover them, when I don't need them, fucking about somewhere pointless.  Centre punches are the fucking limit.  They literally take the piss.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Buelligan on September 18, 2019, 11:25:16 PM
Fucking centre punch.  Do not get me started.  I have two, I always put them away, they are never there and then I randomly discover them, when I don't need them, fucking about somewhere pointless.  Centre punches are the fucking limit.  They literally take the piss.

They do if you punch the fucking centre out of some cunt's bladder.

Quote from: Jittlebags on September 18, 2019, 11:19:24 PM
I'm considering another 'tool' thread. Maybe spokeshave, maybe centre punch? Wooden vs plastic mallet could have a bit of mileage?

Of the options, I think the mallets one might have most mileage. The response has been muted even for the common chisel, so I'm not sure how many spokeshave anecdotes are floating in the minds of the collective. With mallets we could also talk about Timmy, which is good for a comedy forum.

beanheadmcginty

Mate of mine's cousin once got into an argument with an American about the efficacy of the NHS when they were really pissed. Culminated in him severing his big toe with a hammer and chisel to prove that he could go to a hospital and get it reattached in time, no questions asked. He did.

Jittlebags

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 18, 2019, 11:34:29 PM
The response has been muted even for the common chisel......

TBH I'm surprised it's got this far, however there does appear to be some passion towards the centre punch. So you never know.

Jittlebags

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on September 18, 2019, 11:38:27 PM
Mate of mine's cousin once got into an argument with an American about the efficacy of the NHS when they were really pissed. Culminated in him severing his big toe with a hammer and chisel to prove that he could go to a hospital and get it reattached in time, no questions asked. He did.

Hmm, I find that story hard to believe. If it was true it would have been with a mallet and chisel

touchingcloth

Quote from: Jittlebags on September 18, 2019, 11:39:11 PM
TBH I'm surprised it's got this far, however there does appear to be some passion towards the centre punch. So you never know.

If I ever need a centre punch I just use a screw or nail instead!!

Jittlebags

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 18, 2019, 11:42:24 PM
If I ever need a centre punch I just use a screw or nail instead!!

That's a definite case where you'd hit it with a hammer rather than a mallet. Quite probably a claw hammer if you've got your wits about you.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Jittlebags on September 18, 2019, 11:47:48 PM
That's a definite case where you'd hit it with a hammer rather than a mallet. Quite probably a claw hammer if you've got your wits about you.

Sometimes - and I know this is a little contentious but I promise I'm not just baiting you - I'll bop it with the drill's battery pack.

Blumf

I need more ball-peen hammers in my life. Had my fill of claw hammers.