Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:30:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Chisels

Started by Jittlebags, September 17, 2019, 12:56:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

Quote from: Jittlebags on September 18, 2019, 11:40:51 PM

Hmm, I find that story hard to believe. If it was true it would have been with a mallet and chisel

You are having a laugh.  Bolt cutters, every time.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Buelligan on September 18, 2019, 11:54:24 PM
You are having a laugh.  Bolt cutters, every time.

Yes. The real test of the NHS's mettle would be asking them to scalpel off the American's toe and then stitch it onto you, no questions asked.

Jittlebags

I'm not sure whether boltcutters open up enough to get your toe in. Maybe those  hydraulic gubbins the fire brigade use for cutting into cars would do the trick.

Blumf

Loppers would probably do it.

touchingcloth

Dip your toe in a blender.

Buelligan

Quote from: Jittlebags on September 18, 2019, 11:58:49 PM
I'm not sure whether boltcutters open up enough to get your toe in. Maybe those  hydraulic gubbins the fire brigade use for cutting into cars would do the trick.

Whatevs.  Point is, you'd take the edge right off a chisel using it that way.  Idiot's game.

My toes'd go in easy anyway, bet you a fiver.  I have toes like ET.

Jittlebags

Quote from: Blumf on September 19, 2019, 12:00:35 AM
Loppers would probably do it.
Oo aye. Saw a pair of those in Lidl on Sunday. They were long reach ones, but you could get a friend to pull the cord

Buelligan

Long reach would be better, specially if you had a bad back.  Pukka job.

imitationleather

touchingcloth

For reattachment: American's toe, deliberately removed.

Blumf

You'd also need a pickling jar to preserve it for the medics.

Jittlebags

I imagine that Marilyn Manson would find it easier to lop his toe off than the rest of us, now that he's had a couple of ribs removed.

Buelligan

He's got none.  Completely smooth down there.

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: Jittlebags on September 18, 2019, 11:58:49 PM
Maybe those hydraulic gubbins the fire brigade use for cutting into cars would do the trick.

Though they exert 20 tonnes of force, the blades move very slowly and start quite far apart. The cutting surfaces don't meet particularly closely, and they're not that sharp. I reckon it'd pop your toe like a zit rather than sever it cleanly - given the choice, I'd go with the chisel.

Blumf

Quote from: Buelligan on September 19, 2019, 12:08:54 AM
He's got none.  Completely smooth down there.

Lopped them off, then worked down the grits with emery cloth before finishing with a buffing wheel. The man's a professional.

Jittlebags

I'm glad to see that the thread has gained a bit of traction since moving on from a bit of woodcraft to self mutilation.

Brian Freeze

A tap makes a good improvised centre punch. About as difficult to locate when you need one though.

Flatulent Fox

No anecdotes.
                       I keep mine's razor sharp and use them with precision.

Woe fucking betide anyone who borrows my Chisels without consent.
Like a curse - but with me on the end of it wielding a pipe bender or a suitable claw hammer.

I shall be watching.

Bernard Bribbins or James Mason may borrow my Chisels - but not to rob stately homes.Unless it was about that golden toilet.

paruses

Quote from: Jittlebags on September 18, 2019, 09:45:55 AM
Lean to greenhouse at the back of the shed. Making dado joints (although they may be called something else in this context) for supporting roof support cross members.

Very satisfying is a bit of chiseling.

Have to catch up on the rest of this belter of a a thread but have you got a roofing square? They might be called Quick Squares or something too. They're brilliant.

Brian Freeze

Quote from: Jittlebags on September 18, 2019, 11:19:24 PM
I'm considering another 'tool' thread. Maybe spokeshave, maybe centre punch? Wooden vs plastic mallet could have a bit of mileage?

Spanners! Do spanners. Ive just seen my first King Dick in the flesh, so to speak.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Brian Freeze on September 20, 2019, 05:09:22 AM
Spanners! Do spanners. Ive just seen my first King Dick in the flesh, so to speak.

Yes, do spanners! I like how in some languages the word for them is "English key".

Brian Freeze

Some common or garden chisels, a gouge and a pallet knife. The big one is more of a chisel shaped object (CSO) but does have its uses. I have plenty more but these are the ones that are rough enough for work.

The only chisel anecdotes I have are remembering my dads anger at using his "best" chisels to clean old putty off window frames. How was I supposed to know they were his best chisels and that there were nails hidden in the putty if no-one had bothered to tell me.

touchingcloth

The best chisels were the ones he used to wank over each night.

Does the green tape on your set  mark them out as wanking chisels?

Brian Freeze

Quote from: Jittlebags on September 18, 2019, 09:45:55 AM
Lean to greenhouse at the back of the shed. Making dado joints (although they may be called something else in this context) for supporting roof support cross members.

Very satisfying is a bit of chiseling.

Did you get it finished Jittlebags?

Bumping this thread to ask that question and to try and put up a photo of a most excellent chisel related Christmas gift I was given.

madhair60

My uncle chased the headmaster with a chisel once

ZoyzaSorris

Nothing like a pokey honk of chisel in a South London pub shitter of a Friday night. Stick another pin on Bugle Maps.
Also like the carpentry kind but got too shaky hands from all the stimulant abuse. Should never have become a pharmacist.

Norton Canes

These tools all sound wonderful, but you couldn't test the bouncing bomb on them.

EDIT: Oh, this is a thread about Chisels, not Chesils!

gilbertharding

I see no-one's mentioned bolsters yet. Typical.

famethrowa

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on January 10, 2020, 09:51:43 AM
These tools all sound wonderful, but you couldn't test the bouncing bomb on them.

EDIT: Oh, this is a thread about Chisels, not Chesils!

Well played, but it reminded me of that horribo movie where the fella chucked his muck all over the lass's tumtum too soon and it fucked them up for the next 50 years. Gave me a right old laugh