Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:24:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Favorite Eastern European Movies?

Started by MortSahlFan, September 17, 2019, 12:59:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MortSahlFan

Quote from: Neomod on September 21, 2019, 09:31:14 PM
My ex Slovak g/f introduced me to a few but The Fireman's Ball (1967) is great as is Daisies (1966).

I loved Kolya back in 1996 but it might be a bit sentimental for you.

Obviously these are central European films before someone nitpicks but well worth a watch.

edit. tut tut. read the thread Neomod. I see Daisies has already been mentioned up thread.

I like sentimental. Thanks for the recommendation!

Sin Agog

I like how much fucking about with colour the Czechs did in their Prague Spring heyday.  SMBH talked eloquently enough about Lemonade Cowboy already, but I also love a movie called Cassandra Cat about a lovely little village turned on its side by a cat who colours in the locals according to their characters.  As ever, I've probably only cherry-picked the weirder and more interesting stuff, but I get the real impression that kids in Eastern/Central Europe used to have the most inspired cinema and televisual upbringing.  Every person I speak to of a certain age who grew up behind the Iron Curtain seems to have seen The Singing Ringing Tree at some point.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Sin Agog on September 21, 2019, 08:52:50 PM
'ere, on a similar note, can anyone clue me in on the name of this Polish film I once saw?  It was about all the people pressganged into spending their days feeding lice their blood for extra food rations and the like during the German occupation, despite the high risk of infection, to help develop vaccines.

Hmmm, could be Miracle on 34th Street.

Quote from: Sin Agog on September 21, 2019, 08:52:50 PM
'ere, on a similar note, can anyone clue me in on the name of this Polish film I once saw?  It was about all the people pressganged into spending their days feeding lice their blood for extra food rations and the like during the German occupation, despite the high risk of infection, to help develop vaccines.  Dank as most Polish cinema, but also kinda unique and a little dreamy as well.  Fuck if I can remember its name, though.

This must be Andrzej Zulawski's The Third Part Of The Night, which coincidentally I just bought on DVD.

Sin Agog

Yes, that's definitely the one. A thousand salaams!  Zulawski's first ever film and he nailed the fucker out of the gate.  Now remembering all the close up shots of the lice on the actors' veins.  Must have really got them to go through that.  That guy knew how to create an atmosphere like no one else.  Gonna have to give it a rewatch now you've put a name to it.  Hope you end up liking it.