Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:33:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ni No Kuni on Switch

Started by falafel, September 17, 2019, 09:29:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

falafel

So Ni no Kuni, the Studio Ghibli-associated JRPG, is being ported to Switch and released on the 20th. I got this on PS3 and was really impressed by the art style and the beginnings of the story but was put off after a couple of hours by the repetitious JRPG random encounter stuff. It was a huge shame and I remember really regretting that.

A portable version seems like it might be a great way to get past the grindiness and play encounters in bite-sized pieces, a bit like playing a puzzle game and putting it down again. So I'm tempted. But most of the reviews are from people who already have a stake in the genre. So who played it first time round? Is the story worth it? Would (or will) you replay on Switch or leave well alone?

Timothy

Definitely worth it. Really good JRPG.

But wait for Switch reviews. I burned myself on the Vesperia port that didnt run well. From that point I always waited to see if its a good port.

Thursday

Thursday

Remember that bit where you go to that town where everyone wears swimsuits because, it's the LAW and the "mayor" forces you, two 10-year old children to take your clothes off? That was weird.

Thursday

Really wanted to like it as a big Ghibli fan, and I liked Dark Chronicle on the PS2, but it was such a chore to play. It's so odd. It feels like it's been designed for parents to play with their children, because the general exploration and puzzle solving is unbelievably patronising. It repeatedly tells you what you have to do, how to open a menu, select an item from a menu, and then how to use the item.

The random encounters are simple enough, but then without warning the boss battles are genuinely challenging. And you have to wake from the catatonic you'd need to be in to find the rest of the game engaging.

It's just so weird.

Thursday

Anyway it doesn't matter, enjoy Ni No Kuni everyone else.

falafel

Hmm
You're kind of chiming with my memories of it, Thursday. Trying not to fall
Into the trap of assuming the Switch's portability makes everything better. I continue to be wary. I've barely started Fire Emblem so got plenty of time to waste first before flinging a few quid at this again.

Timothy

I ordered it for PS4.

Just read a review that said that the Switch has a lot of performance issues. Not only that but the PS4/Xbox get remasters with all DLC while the Switch game is just a port.
I would wait for a sale and patches.