Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:43:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Favourite depictions of a punk rocker in popular culture.

Started by holyzombiejesus, September 17, 2019, 12:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

The Marianne thread reminded me how much I love punks in films. I like how their bands have keyboard players and they do stupid things like eat glass and sometimes literally snarl. What is your favourite TV/ film punk?

kngen

Cuellar

Cardenio I

boki

imitationleather

"Hey, you work here?"
"I'm with the Coroner's Office."
"Suuuure, I've heard you guys play before. You've got a great band!"

Amazing.

famethrowa

Quote from: boki on September 17, 2019, 01:14:54 PM
My first thought, too.  But let's not forget the nation's favourite:

Obviously the best, but Vyv always confused me a bit... was he actually not a "proper" punk but a metalhead instead? The denim jacket is a bit more Motorhead than Pistols

kngen

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 17, 2019, 01:23:20 PM

I expected a lot more from Freaks and Geeks, but they really arsed that one up. It was pretty cool that his introduction to punk was going out and buying Damaged by Black Flag (even though he's seen wearing a Jealous Again shirt IIRC in an earlier episode), but - hoo boy - that went off the rails pretty quickly. More cringeworthy than Quincey, I reckon.

sevendaughters

Quote from: kngen on September 17, 2019, 03:16:46 PM
I expected a lot more from Freaks and Geeks, but they really arsed that one up. It was pretty cool that his introduction to punk was going out and buying Damaged by Black Flag (even though he's seen wearing a Jealous Again shirt IIRC in an earlier episode), but - hoo boy - that went off the rails pretty quickly. More cringeworthy than Quincey, I reckon.

I thought it was good that he was entryist and had no idea but just wanted to splurge his innards into something but couldn't penetrate the clique and the code. I dunno. Might not have been punk accurate but felt emotionally real. Ish.

marquis_de_sad

boki

Quote from: famethrowa on September 17, 2019, 01:28:18 PM
Obviously the best, but Vyv always confused me a bit... was he actually not a "proper" punk but a metalhead instead? The denim jacket is a bit more Motorhead than Pistols
Ah, you see, now we're down the rabbit hole, as Motorhead never really considered themselves metal, even though most of their mates and fans were, and they undoubtedly influenced the genre.  But yeah, Vyvyan having 'Very Metal' on the back of his jacket muddies the waters a bit.  I'd say he's a punk by-and-large, though.

marquis_de_sad

Vyv seems on the more metal end of UK82. Obviously leather was the norm, but you do see people wearing denim jackets in that scene, e.g. this picture of GBH:

BeardFaceMan

Funnily enough, I'm just watching the Young Ones doc that was on Gold, and Lise Mayer was just talking about Vyvyan. He's not any one thing, he just cherry-picked all the violent aspects of a few different cultures,  he's not a punk or a metalhead, just a little bit punk and a little bit metal.

I really like Hardcore Logo, I think thats a good depiction of punk in a film.

Dr Rock

bgmnts

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on September 17, 2019, 03:52:33 PM
Trash and Suicide from Return of the Living Dead

Nothing more punk than getting naked and dancing in a graveyard.

Sin Agog

Most disturbing is Toyah Wilcox in Derek Jarman's Jubilee.  She was a right evil little thing before she lost that baby fat.

Favourite?  Probably Guitar Wolf in Wild Zero.

Thursday

The punks that interrupt the show in Michael Bolton's Big Sexy Valentine.

non capisco

Jockice

This is one for the oldies but I remember something in which a middle-aged, middle class man (may have been Richard Briers but if not, someone like Richard Briers) was talking to two punk girls, who were fans of a band called Fag Packet. One of them asked where the nearest bog was and of course Briers (or the Briersalike) didn't know it was slang for the toilet.

Anyone have any idea of what this was?

A documentary, so maybe off topic, but all the bits about Terry and the Idiots in the mostly Pistols-centric DOA are really poignant.
"People like me don't never have friends. Because we tell the truth."