Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:38:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Favourite depictions of a punk rocker in popular culture.

Started by holyzombiejesus, September 17, 2019, 12:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marquis_de_sad

I wonder if Everett got some stick for mangling subcultures in Sid Snot, and then made Puke as a more accurate punk in response.

Glebe

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on September 24, 2019, 12:15:04 PMAs far as Glebe's comment goes about Gizzard Puke being a biker, Sid Snot looked more like a biker.
Think Gizzard Puke was meant as a Sid Snot surrogate, as yer man Everett wasnae allowed to do any of his ITV characters when he done moved to the BBC.

Ah right, duh, mixed 'em up!

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on September 21, 2019, 06:13:25 PMDerek Nimmo?  There's no fag packet/bog in this clip but it might be an excerpt of something longer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-_fwE25arU

Oh yeah, Adam Ant mentions that in some punk doco.

Shocked that this hasn't been posted yet:

"Stuff the Queen!"

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on September 24, 2019, 10:58:21 PM
I wonder if Everett got some stick for mangling subcultures in Sid Snot, and then made Puke as a more accurate punk in response.

I suppose it's possible!

I just read this on Wikipedia:

QuotePhilip Jones, Thames Television's head of light entertainment, asked his son who he would like to see on television - he replied Kenny Everett.  The show's format was conceived over lunch and a walk...

Them were days!

Ambient Sheep

Wait, what?  Sorry, I know this isn't a Kenny Everett thread, but first I've heard of these:

QuoteIn 1970 he made three series for LWT: The Kenny Everett Explosion, Making Whoopee and Ev...

I'm guessing they no longer exist.

Oh, and his wiki page describes Snot as an "ageing rock-and-roller", for what it's worth.  Unclear where that description comes from though.

And finally, THIS!! a possible solution to the Snot/Puke controversy:

QuoteThames Television claimed copyright on Everett's characters and tried to prevent their use by the BBC. Whilst this action failed, it led to the creation of new characters such as Gizzard Puke (intended to replace Sid Snot) and the spooneristically named Cupid Stunt, a blonde American B-film actress with pneumatic breasts,
(emphasis mine)

That explains both the received wisdom and my own memories. :-)

marquis_de_sad

"Pneumatic" is such a classic 70s word, but makes absolutely no sense when applied to breasts.

Ambient Sheep

It does to hers, they were inflatable!  [EDIT: Actually no, they were a mould, weren't they?  I was thinking of Rod Stewart's arse.]

(Also, Aldous Huxley.)

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on September 25, 2019, 02:56:41 AM
  I was thinking of Rod Stewart's arse.]

I bet you were you dirty old bollocks, I fucking bet you were.

gilbertharding

Quote from: gib on September 24, 2019, 05:48:03 PM
Admittedly i'd forgotten that famous example of punk rock.

clearly Midge Ure was a digression, inspired by the mention of the punk rock/otherwise credentials of the Leather Boy hat, as sported by Peter Hook once, and Sid Snot.

gilbertharding

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on September 24, 2019, 11:55:36 PM
"Pneumatic" is such a classic 70s word, but makes absolutely no sense when applied to breasts.

Voluptuous girls are referred to as 'pneumatic' in Brave New World. The word is quite descriptive, as long as you don't take it literally.

Cuellar

And Eliot in 'Whispers of Immortality'

QuoteGrishkin is nice: her Russian eye
Is underlined for emphasis;
Uncorseted, her friendly bust
Gives promise of pneumatic bliss.

Very early 20thC word. And weird.

gilbertharding

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on September 24, 2019, 10:58:21 PM

I thought it was just the nine year old me who thought Sid Snot was any kind of punk.

(of course, there are all kinds of punk - including the original, American prison kind - he could easily have fitted into one of these niches, even if he was never (except in my confused mind) a 70s UK Punk Rocker).

gilbertharding

Quote from: Cuellar on September 25, 2019, 10:10:21 AM
And Eliot in 'Whispers of Immortality'

Very early 20thC word. And weird.

Is it supposed to evoke 'inflatable', or is it a reference to the 'chesty areas' - as in 'pneumonia'?

Cuellar

Cuellar

Doesn't really give any explanation, as you might expect

Quotehumorous. Of, relating to, or characteristic of a woman with a well-rounded figure, esp. a large bosom; (of a woman) having a well-rounded figure, esp. large-bosomed.

but one sense is

QuoteMore generally: designating things which are inflated, or filled with compressed air, for some purpose.

gilbertharding

Ambient Sheep

Heh, I'd always thought that "pneumatic", as used in Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, was more to do with the motion of a piston going up and down, as in a bicycle pump or similar, to indicate the woman enjoyed vigorous sex.

I hadn't known that it was already early-20th-century slang for a large-bosomed lady...

Quote from: Cuellar on September 25, 2019, 10:35:07 AMbut one sense is

QuoteMore generally: designating things which are inflated, or filled with compressed air, for some purpose.

Well yes, isn't that the main sense of the word?  It's the air-equivalent of "hydraulic": pneumatic pump, pneumatic piston, pneumatic cylinder, pneumatic tyres, etc., etc.

Come to think of it, it's not a word I've heard in years, but it was common enough when I was growing up... which makes marquis de sad's observation that it's "such a classic 70s word" give me pause for thought.

gilbertharding

Inflatable life preservers are still (as far as I know) referred to as 'Mae Wests' for this very reason. Probably not for much longer, they'll get around to cancelling that - even though you'd have to ask your Grandad who she was.

Cuellar

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on September 25, 2019, 01:20:41 PM
Heh, I'd always thought that "pneumatic", as used in Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, was more to do with the motion of a piston going up and down, as in a bicycle pump or similar, to indicate the woman enjoyed vigorous sex.

That's what I'd always imagined too, to be honest (I bet I did I dirty old bolllocks).

I dunno if 'inflated thing' is the main sense; by something inflated they mean just blown up and then left blown up, like a balloon. Rather than something that uses air to create some sort of motion.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Cuellar on September 25, 2019, 04:59:33 PM
That's what I'd always imagined too, to be honest (I bet I did I dirty old bolllocks).

Same.

Famous Mortimer

gilbertharding

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=75276.60

(discussion about depictions of punk in pop culture, including UK sitcoms)

Bollocksed this up, didn't I - supposed to be a post in the Sad Ernie Wise thread. Sorry Barry.

Kankurette

Ibuki in Dangan Ronpa. Actually, I think she might be more of a metalhead - where's Madhair when you need him?