Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:08:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Things that bug you in (old) games

Started by Norton Canes, September 17, 2019, 02:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

Or new games I guess, but anyway...

In Quake II the railgun projectile leaves a "distinctive blue corkscrew" in its wake. How does that work then? Surely if some kind of gas/vapour is emitted from a single aperture of a spinning projectile, it won't maintain a straight course. Unless there's some clear gas/vapour of an equal density being emitted from an aperture on the opposite side of the casing.

I mean I'm not losing any sleep over this even though I've had a good couple of decades to think it over.

the

A crisps-loving cheetah in sunglasses runs and jumps through five obstacle-laden stages? Yeah as if mate

bgmnts

In Resident Evil and Final Fantasy, run should be the default animation. Having to hold down a button to run sucks balls,.

Quote from: bgmnts on September 17, 2019, 03:17:09 PM
In Resident Evil and Final Fantasy, run should be the default animation. Having to hold down a button to run sucks balls,.

Yeah, Mario and all.

And seriously fuck whoever thought that making Mario's walk analogue in Super Mario Maker 2 was a good idea.

madhair60

Nothing to be honest, except for Rolo to the Rescue not having passwords.

Twed

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on September 17, 2019, 03:35:16 PM
Yeah, Mario and all.

And seriously fuck whoever thought that making Mario's walk analogue in Super Mario Maker 2 was a good idea.
Fuck using analogue controls for digital things

Mister Six

Having a limited number of lives in home video games. You're not trying to get money out of my pocket in an arcade, I've already paid for this so don't make me lose all my progress, you fuckers.

Especially egregious in puzzle-solving stuff like Dizzy. Can't you just bump me back a few screens?

Ambient Sheep

That reminds me:

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on August 31, 2019, 01:26:16 AM
Going seriously old-skool shoot-em-ups here:

Inclusive life counters.

In other words, when the little row of ships in the corner of your screen, or the picture of the ship and a number, includes the one you're using.  So you think you've got one more ship left... BANG... oh no you don't after all, that was it.

Petty but always annoyed me.

Accessibility options.

Just go and do sth else instead you colour blind/crip cunt

madhair60

Quote from: Mister Six on September 17, 2019, 04:42:46 PM
Having a limited number of lives in home video games. You're not trying to get money out of my pocket in an arcade, I've already paid for this so don't make me lose all my progress, you fuckers.

Especially egregious in puzzle-solving stuff like Dizzy. Can't you just bump me back a few screens?

Just watch TV mate

NoSleep

Quote from: Mister Six on September 17, 2019, 04:42:46 PM

Where's the challenge?

You can play an emulator with "quick save" and "quick load" as we're talking about old games.

madhair60

Sure, if you don't actually like retro games, you could do that.

Mister Six

Quote from: NoSleep on September 18, 2019, 09:32:52 AM
Where's the challenge?

In solving the puzzles and successfully negotiating the obstacles. Being made to replay the last 30 minutes of game is just a lazy way of artificially extending the game's life.

NoSleep

Quote from: madhair60 on September 18, 2019, 03:42:05 PM
Sure, if you don't actually like retro games, you could do that.

He surely doesn't.

Mister Six

Yeah having standards and not constantly feeling the need to recreate my youth to make up for a miserable present-day existence gets in the way of looking past crippling deficiencies in underperforming games.

CHECKMATE, ATHEISTS.

NoSleep

Quick save and quick load it is then. And no adrenaline.

NoSleep

Why are you considering playing underperforming games anyway? There's plenty of great old games.

madhair60

Quote from: Mister Six on September 18, 2019, 03:58:40 PMBeing made to replay the last 30 minutes of game is just a lazy way of artificially extending the game's life.

People have actually convinced themselves of this instead of just going "haha yeah it's hard im bad at it"

Kelvin

I think the problem is that most old games aren't good enough to keep replaying until you get good. We only did it back then because kids are idiots with more time than money.

Kelvin

Plus, loads of hard games from back then were cheap rather than mechanically challenging. Enemies spamming in endlessly, bosses that can only realistically be killed with an exact weapon you won't have if you die once. It's just a load of shite.

Jerzy Bondov

No story
No idea what to do next
No online multiplayer
No season pass
Nothing to say about depression

madhair60

Quote from: Kelvin on September 18, 2019, 08:34:53 PM
I think the problem is that most old games aren't good enough to keep replaying until you get good. We only did it back then because kids are idiots with more time than money.

Quote from: Kelvin on September 18, 2019, 08:38:22 PM
Plus, loads of hard games from back then were cheap rather than mechanically challenging. Enemies spamming in endlessly, bosses that can only realistically be killed with an exact weapon you won't have if you die once. It's just a load of shite.

Sure, that's what it is.

Kelvin

I was joking in the first post, but the second is definitely true. Those games were artificially lengthened by the inclusion of all kinds of cheap shit, and the games were good in spite of, not because of it.

Sebastian Cobb

Maybe the real game is the friends we make along the way

NoSleep

Cold Meat Platter

Cryptic icons with no tooltips.
Keyboard control schemes designed by a madman
"fuck you" deaths
hammering start but they were really keen on making you watch their shitty title screen or animation in full every time. (Get fucked Moonstone)

madhair60

Quote from: Kelvin on September 18, 2019, 09:25:23 PM
I was joking in the first post, but the second is definitely true. Those games were artificially lengthened by the inclusion of all kinds of cheap shit, and the games were good in spite of, not because of it.

Uh huh. :)

Madhair60 is the guy riding round the Arndale Centre on a Penny Farthing of games.

madhair60