Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,471
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:14:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

This isn’t ok, is it??

Started by Twit 2, September 17, 2019, 11:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twit 2

https://www.jarrold.co.uk/events-diary/events-list/peter-mendham-signing

QuoteAn opportunity to meet and hear from Peter Mendham, Norwich City's larger-than-life former midfielder.
His new memoir, In His Own Words: Life On the Inside, takes a candid look back on his footballing life and times.
Frank and unflinching Mendham offers a no-holds-barred account of football in the 1980s and of the
incident that led to his serving a seven-and-a-half-year prison sentence. This is his account of a
life full of ups and downs, written with Edward Couzens-Lake.

Quote from: WikipediaOn 19 October 2006, Mendham was arrested, and later charged with the attempted murder of his 39-year-old girlfriend at their house in Norwich after a heated argument. The woman had suffered a stab wound, and lost a kidney during emergency surgery.[2]

In December 2006, Mendham denied the attempted murder charge, but one month later, he pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of wounding with intent.[3] On 21 February 2007, Mendham was sentenced to seven and a half years in prison.[4] On 24 May 2007, Mendham announced that he would appeal against the sentence.[5]

He won the appeal and the sentence was reduced to five years.

https://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/disgraced-ex-canary-back-in-jail-1-197991

QuoteDISGRACED footballer Peter Mendham is back behind bars after harassing the woman he almost killed in a frenzied knife attack.

The former Norwich City midfielder was released from Hollesley Bay prison, near Woodbridge, in August after being granted parole. He had served half of his five-year sentence for wounding with intent.

But yesterday it emerged that he has been recalled to prison after breaching the terms of his licence by attempting to contact his victim Charlotte Hyam within weeks of his release.

He had been banned from approaching Miss Hyam, who is still struggling to rebuild her life after the 49-year-old turned on her when she attempted to end their relationship.

Mendham could now be forced to see out the remainder of his sentence unless he can convince a fresh parole hearing that he is suitable for release.

The decision came to light as Miss Hyam appeared before Norwich magistrates on a drink-driving matter. Speaking publicly about her ordeal for the first time, she apologised for her behaviour but told how her life had been turned upside down by the attack.

The 42-year-old, from Wymondham, said: "I have been going through a particularly difficult time over the last two years as I recovered from an incident in 2006.

"My attacker had recently been granted parole but had to be recalled to prison for attempting to contact me.

"I have experienced severe depression although until now I resisted taking medication despite the recommendation of my doctor. I am now on anti-depressants."

Norfolk-born Mendham, who played more than 260 games for the Canaries between 1976 and 1987, admitted the attack when he appeared before Norwich Crown Court in February 2006.

He was originally sentenced to seven and a half years but this was reduced on appeal. A charge of attempted murder was dropped.

He had told Miss Hyam "we are both going to die tonight" after plunging a knife into her back in a case described as "one of the worst cases of domestic violence" Norfolk police have ever seen.

Mendham lashed out with a kitchen knife at his then home in Whitlingham Lane, Trowse, after Miss Hyam returned an engagement ring and said the relationship was no longer working.

Only an emergency operation saved her life and the court was told that "were it not for the extraordinary skill of surgeons" Mendham would have been charged with murder.

She suffered a severed artery in the attack and lost eight litres of blood through two wounds. Later she underwent an operation to remove a kidney.

Seems to me he is cashing in on the fact that NCFC are back in the Premiership and all the good will towards the Farke reign. The crime was years ago so why now? And Jarrolds are presumably just after the cash. I'm all for rehabilitation and restorative justice but he doesn't strike me as someone who's learned anything. Seems a bit rich that he's getting celebrated and presumably the victim's life is still fucked. My cousin was stabbed to death by her abusive husband and the effects on the family and the survivors are lifelong. This book signing thing was brought to my attention by someone I know whose child has disabilities caused by her partner beating her up when pregnant. She is furious at how the fuck this is happening. This isn't woke over-reacting is it? Feels like a straight up celebration of a murderous psycho. Mental.

Ambient Sheep

Yup, this is most definitely not ok.  It's not just you.

Twit 2

Ah good. The marketing speak (frank, unflinching, no holds barred) is doubly offensive: firstly for the connotations of violence in those terms but also because those are terms commonly used to describe the bravery of the victim. If any book should be written about that incident surely we should be hearing from her? Grubby stuff.

imitationleather

It's the same as books by football hooligans, former gangsters, ex-bank robbers and hardened lags, isn't it? Questionable landfill that is nonetheless very popular with a particular part of society.

bgmnts

Can't wait to not read this.

And yeah, this is pretty grim.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Twit 2 on September 18, 2019, 12:15:20 AM
The marketing speak (frank, unflinching, no holds barred) is doubly offensive

I don't think 'frank' and 'unflinching' are bad if accompanied by a word like, say, 'remorseful' but 'no-holds-barred' is utterly tone deaf. Also 'larger-than-life' is a macabre description of someone who nearly ended someone else's.

Norton Canes

Something something Boycott something

Shoulders?-Stomach!

An opportunity to meet and hear from a violent deranged thug, cheers yeah sign me up

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: imitationleather on September 18, 2019, 12:37:15 AM
It's the same as books by football hooligans, former gangsters, ex-bank robbers and hardened lags, isn't it? Questionable landfill that is nonetheless very popular with a particular part of society.

Yeah but there's at least some interest and clever organisation involved in a bank heist or an underground criminal network. This is just some cunt who stabbed his missus.

I'm surprised publishers thought it'd be worth printing, I can't see it selling many copies.

Buelligan

It's not OK.  No.

Wtf is wrong with that shop?  I assume they have women customers and reasonable humans patronise it or is it really a house of cunts?

Cuellar

'larger-than-life'

He should be doing longer-than-life

In the prison

Fambo Number Mive

Looking at Wikipedia, it seems in 2011 he became assistant manager at Newmarket Town F.C.

Is it harsh to say I wouldn't want a person who has done time for such a crime as assistant manager at my football club?

Puce Moment

I wonder what Bill Burr and Joe Rogan think about this?

imitationleather

Is it wrong that when I clicked the link and saw his picture my first thought was, "Yes, he looks like a man who went to prison for that crime"?

Pingers

"Yeah, I stabbed my partner but it was just larger than life bantz innit"

Cunt

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on September 18, 2019, 01:30:11 PMIs it harsh to say I wouldn't want a person who has done time for such a crime as assistant manager at my football club?
Nature of the game, I'm afraid - see a thug like Marlon King, who enjoyed a fairly lengthy pro career. And then the likes of Lee Hughes and Luke McCormick, whose reckless behaviour caused people to die, and yet not had too much trouble restarting their playing careers after getting out of jail.

Twit 2

Cancelled:

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/knife-attack-footballer-hits-out-at-book-launch-cancellation-over-alleged-complaints-1-6298256

I've read the content of one of those letters and it was objectively and articulated worded. He ain't got a leg to stand on, although he has proven how nasty/disingenuous he is with the litigation threats.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

You do wonder whether there's going to be a 'filmed masturbating in slurry' section to this narrative arc.