Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 03:22:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Person Of Interest

Started by Piggyoioi, September 18, 2019, 02:21:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Piggyoioi

Someone who's opinion i respect recommended this to me. About 9 episodes in. I like the premise, but I havent watched a 24 episode length network show in about a decade, its hard to get past the cheese and filler.

Worth continuing on with?

I see its run by Johnathan Nolan, who did Westworld, which I thought was a hilarious pile of stodgy aushwitgz excrement.

Shall I continue, or maybe read a book instead?*

*lol jk i havent read a book in a year u mad?

DrGreggles

I liked it, at least enough to stick with it until the end (which is my equivalent to a glowing recommendation*).
The main bloke is a bit wooden at times, but Ben from 'Lost' is excellent.

*apart from 'Dexter', obviously

Piggyoioi

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 18, 2019, 02:26:26 AM
I liked it, at least enough to stick with it until the end (which is my equivalent to a glowing recommendation*).
The main bloke is a bit wooden at times, but Ben from 'Lost' is excellent.

*apart from 'Dexter', obviously

Ben's good. Even the mary sue lead dude isn't terrible, he's fine, not awful, but fine, whatever. The woman police officer tho, what a fucking bore, hopefully the writers give her something to do that isn't the dramatic equivalent to watching cum dry.

That's my main issue with the show really, network television in general, you can see the gears shifting from a mile off and they never want to sully the morality of the lead characters. I dont know how many more times I can watch this guy rush into a room and expertly shoot people in non-lethal body parts before I tap out investment wise in any action scene. Just give me a hint of an edge, a flaw a little walter white, someone with an ego that they have to grow out of or come to terms with.

Right now the leading man is Mr.FuckingPerfect while i've been stewing in prestige dramas 'do I hate you or love you'  3dimentional characters.

I've been spoiled.

Mobius

I absolutely love this show.

The first half of the first season is quite procedural, 'case of the week' stuff. It doesn't take long for the show to take on a Lost type overarching mystery though.

The main character has a lot of history, it does become darker. People knock his acting but I think it suits the character perfectly. He does seem quite dull early on but that changes.

If you are enjoying it so far I would definitely continue because it gets loads better. I was binging 5-6 episodes a day and really loved the characters and world, all the mysterious stuff... brilliant.

Bently Sheds

I think Nolan wanted to do a science fiction-y show about AI but the networks wouldn't touch it, so he hid it behind a vigilante/procedural premise, moving each season closer to his original vision. So by the end the show is rather different.

I really enjoyed it, so I'd say stick with it. It definitely changes as the seasons progress.

surreal

Quote from: Mobius on September 18, 2019, 03:53:20 AM
I absolutely love this show.

The first half of the first season is quite procedural, 'case of the week' stuff. It doesn't take long for the show to take on a Lost type overarching mystery though.

The main character has a lot of history, it does become darker. People knock his acting but I think it suits the character perfectly. He does seem quite dull early on but that changes.

If you are enjoying it so far I would definitely continue because it gets loads better. I was binging 5-6 episodes a day and really loved the characters and world, all the mysterious stuff... brilliant.

Agreed - please stick with at least the first season, it really does keep getting better and better as the real underlying premise comes to the fore, and after that it's really some great TV.  if you get to the end of S1 and it's still not for you fair enough, but it is a real slow-burn.  Some episodes in the middle of S3 are some of my favourite TV ever.

mothman

You have to stick with it, there's still some great characters to come in. And some great episodes - If/Then/Else, for example.

Gulftastic

Yes, stick with it, especially after Amy Acker's character starts appearing.

Although, the 'bury your gays' ending for Root & Shaw left me mightily pissed off with the finale.

gib

Currently binging this as a result of this thread. Perfect for me at a time when i really need some escapism. Nothing really to add except to say i like the way there's a new character every week and you have to guess whether they are a goodie or a baddie.

Quote from: surreal on September 18, 2019, 04:41:18 PMSome episodes in the middle of S3 are some of my favourite TV ever.

Excellent news, i've just done the first 5 eps of S3.

surreal

Quote from: gib on October 01, 2019, 01:55:17 PM
Currently binging this as a result of this thread. Perfect for me at a time when i really need some escapism. Nothing really to add except to say i like the way there's a new character every week and you have to guess whether they are a goodie or a baddie.

Excellent news, i've just done the first 5 eps of S3.

Episodes 8-10 I HIGHLY recommend planning to do in one sitting, next phase of the show kicks in right after that as it's pivotal

gib

great telly, loved it from start to finish. Utterly daft and terrific.

Mobius

It's brilliant isn't it. Really grows as it goes and creates a fascinating world.