Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:23:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet

Started by madhair60, September 18, 2019, 09:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

This was our prestige telly lads. This was our Better Call Saul. Game of Thrones had nothing on the escapades of Oz and his crew of salt-of-the-earth grafters.

Talk about AWP series 1-4 and the Cuba specials. What did you reckon to the BBC revival? Did you even like the originals? Does it "hold up"?

The Culture Bunker

Coming from a post-industrial town where my uncles had to leave to find work, as I did later on, the original series does have a certain poignancy, and I do recognise characters like Oz, Denis and Neville. So that's nice.

I didn't mind the BBC series where they're putting the bridge from Boro back together in the States, but it did feel like a Jimmy Nail vehicle to a large extent. Didn't bother with anything after that.

DrGreggles

The first 2 AWP series (on ITV!) were fucking superb. Had a re-watch last year.
I watched the BBC stuff, but can't really recall anything about it.

BlodwynPig

A lighthearted equivalent of Bergerac. Full on pangs of melancholy, especially the ghost episode. Without AWP, there would have been no Spender, ffs. Best TV theme 7" single I ever bought.

godber

My favourite telly programme of all time.

I've got lots of time for series 3 onwards but the ITV years are what it's really about.
Confinement + funny = my idea of perfect (see also Porridge, Red Dwarf).

Armin Meiwes

Yeah big fan of AWP, remember watching it not long after it was first on as a kid and finding it so odd (compared to anything else I'd ever seen at that point) but loving it and seen it several times since and never not totally enjoyed it, it just flows along so well, they really created some great characters that it was just enjoyable to spend time with. The reboots were never going to be able to match up but thought the transporter bridge one was still great, don't remember hating the others but also don't remember much about them in general

poodlefaker

Quote from: BlodwynPig on September 18, 2019, 12:43:44 PM
Without AWP, there would have been no Spender, ffs. Best TV theme 7" single I ever bought.

And no "Eh Brian It's a Whopper", written by the great Stephen Bill.

Also, re the theme tune - it's in the great tradition of different tune for start and end, isn't it. Like The Young Ones and OFAH 

Famous Mortimer

Brilliant stuff, especially the two ITV series. I think they mentioned my home town once in it, which guaranteed I'd be a fan.

Jockice

I've actually never seen it. For no particular reason. It sounds good but it's too late to pick up on.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Jockice on September 19, 2019, 10:04:39 AM
I've actually never seen it. For no particular reason. It sounds good but it's too late to pick up on.

Absolutely not. Ive not watched many of them as i hadnt reached peak enlightenment when it first aired, so we can do a watch-with-blodders run through?

Jockice

BlodwynPig

Jockice

Norton Canes

I remember the almost feverish air of excitement that built up in the sixth form common room in the weeks and days leading up to the start of series 2*, then the disappointment that said series took so long to get the gang out to Spain. Everyone was expecting the entirety of it to be set on a Spanish building site as dismal and depressing as the one in Dusseldorf but the plot with the Geordie (Scottish?) gangster boss meant it took an age for them to get out there. Pus, it didn't seem quite as funny.

But yeah, generally, everyone still loved it and identified with one of the characters.

* 28 at the time I was aaah**

** i.e. I was the teacher aaah

Shit Good Nose

Loved it when it was on (I even enjoyed the reboot, but never saw the fourth series or final two part specials), but haven't seen it since those first repeats and initial airings of the later series.  I clocked that it was on whichever freeview channel it was on a few years ago, but they were already well into series 2 when I stumbled on it, so I didn't bother.

Remember well my sister being in tears and inconsolable for days after Gary Holton died - she absolutely loved him.  I was only 5 or 6 at the time and didn't understand why she was so upset about someone she didn't know being dead.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I'm sure that Jimmy "The Nail" Nail got a bit big for his boots as the show progressed, and stipulated that he was to be the one to get the romantic interest girl. The second series, the one with the bridge and the one in Cuba spring to mind. He even made them let him sing a country and western song, for no fucking reason, such was The Nail's enigmatic star appeal.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on September 30, 2019, 07:25:07 PM
I'm sure that Jimmy "The Nail" Nail got a bit big for his boots as the show progressed, and stipulated that he was to be the one to get the romantic interest girl. The second series, the one with the bridge and the one in Cuba spring to mind. He even made them let him sing a country and western song, for no fucking reason, such was The Nail's enigmatic star appeal.

Yes, his ego was rampant. The one with him singing has the worst moment of season 2 (him singing) and the best (Barry kicking the thug at the end of the big fight). Tim Spall is so fucking good. And I love spotting Moxie in stuff.

kalowski

Quote from: Gulftastic on September 30, 2019, 07:40:32 PM
Yes, his ego was rampant. The one with him singing has the worst moment of season 2 (him singing) and the best (Barry kicking the thug at the end of the big fight). Tim Spall is so fucking good. And I love spotting Moxie in stuff.
Yes, so do I. Like Batman.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I got a bit confused there and thought that Moxie was in Scum, but it was Ray Winstone who was in Auf Wiedersehen Pet.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: kalowski on September 30, 2019, 07:45:40 PM
Yes, so do I. Like Batman.
He turned up (wearing heavy make up) in the first Guardians of the Galaxy film too.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

There was that Cuba substory where Neville, with his perpetual slapped arse of a face, became a fucking MI6 agent or something. In fact most of the situations that Neville found himself in seemed to involve putting him in some sort of peril, so he could whine a lot, do that face, and maybe cry.

Lordofthefiles

andy33

Quote from: Norton Canes on September 19, 2019, 12:20:14 PM
I remember the almost feverish air of excitement that built up in the sixth form common room in the weeks and days leading up to the start of series 2*, then the disappointment that said series took so long to get the gang out to Spain. Everyone was expecting the entirety of it to be set on a Spanish building site as dismal and depressing as the one in Dusseldorf but the plot with the Geordie (Scottish?) gangster boss meant it took an age for them to get out there. Pus, it didn't seem quite as funny.

But yeah, generally, everyone still loved it and identified with one of the characters.

I can understand the disappointment if you'd all been waiting specifically for the Spain bit, but imo the first half of the second series -- the reunion at Barry's, followed by the Thornley Manor/Barley Mow episodes -- is absolutely superb.

Sebastian Cobb

It's worth it for them all winding up the prick landlord and the tax guy that impounded Wayne's car.

godber

Quote from: andy33 on October 01, 2019, 11:17:11 PM
I can understand the disappointment if you'd all been waiting specifically for the Spain bit, but imo the first half of the second series -- the reunion at Barry's, followed by the Thornley Manor/Barley Mow episodes -- is absolutely superb.

I prefer the first half of the series - kipping at Barry's unfinished house and squatting in the manor house feel more like squalid conditions of the first series. Plus there's Asda, Gateshead and brass rubbing aplenty!

Norton Canes

I can see I'll have to watch those episodes again :)

I remember the big fight scene, that was good.

Malcy

I heard that on The Jeremy Vine Show (maybe, Ch5 thing anyway) that they were discussing favourite quotes from TV shows.

One of the guests said theirs but couldn't remember the name of the show it came from before saying something like "oh you know that Scottish show" then declaring "oh it was Aug Wiedersehen Pet" and they all agreed and no one corrected them...

It's years since I seen it to the point that odd bits and bobs I've seen I don't remember. Time for a research I reckon.

Christopher Fairbanks's character being dumbfounded at his grandson or something being called 'Gooey' was hilarious.

"What ya on aboot man? That's not Gooey it's GUY".