Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:13:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New horror

Started by holyzombiejesus, September 18, 2019, 02:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artie Fufkin

^agree^

edit : dammit! top of the page wanker!

holyzombiejesus

No One Gets Out Alive is on Netflix now. Not a very good adaptation alas.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on October 07, 2021, 10:54:51 AM
Just started reading this last night. I loved The Ritual, so am hoping for more good things from him.
I'm about a quarter in. Really enjoying it. Great atmosphere to it. Menacing. I shit myself up reading it last night, tbh. Had to put it down and play a stupid game on my phone to calm myself down before sleep - LOLZy

Artie Fufkin

Harry H Corbett, this book is grim!
Enjoying it though.

holyzombiejesus

Got an email from Good Reads and they have a list of best horror of the last few years. The Fisherman was on there and a few others that I like the look of.

I'm Thinking of Ending Things - Ian Reid - Not seen the Netflix thing and might watch that instead.
The Haunting of Ashburn House - Darcy Coates - Looks like bog standard haunted house novel but might surprise me
Fellside - M.R.Carey - Set in a prison on the moors of West Yorkshire (where I live) but reviews have said it's more of a thriller than horror.
Into the Drowning Deep - Mira Grant - Underwater horror which sounds relatively original
Kill Creek - Scott Thomas - Horror writers spend night in haunted house, really good reviews.
The Hunger - Alma Katsu - Pioneers/ western horror.
Baby Teeth - Zoje Stage - Freaky kid/ cuckoo stuff by the look of it.
The Twisted Ones - T. Kingfisher - Dead gran's diary says there's something in the woods...
Also a couple by Paul Tremblay. Read one of his (Head Full of Ghosts) but Cabin... looks good.

https://www.goodreads.com/blog/show/2178-the-most-popular-horror-novels-of-the-past-five-years

Anyone read any of these?

Jerzy Bondov

Read loads of these:

I'm Thinking of Ending Things - Iain Reid. Loved it, haven't seen the film. Kind of don't really want to even though it's meant to be good, because I enjoyed the novel too much.
The Fisherman - John Langan. Already gone on and on about this. Going to reread it soon.
The Silent Companions - Laura Purcell. Pretty standard ghost gothic stuff, but really well done. I've read her other novels too, and she's got a nice little nasty streak running through her work. Worth a go.
The Cabin at the End of the World - Paul Tremblay. Didn't like this as much as Head Full of Ghosts, but it's a gripping book with a part that really shocked me.
Ghost Wall - Sarah Moss. I absolutely love this book but wouldn't really call it horror. That said, it is very tense.
Foe - Iain Reid. A very good follow-up to I'm Thinking of Ending Things. Similar in that he slowly feeds you clues as to what's happening, but it tips its hand a little earlier and takes a very interesting turn.
Imaginary Friend - Stephen Chbosky. Very Stephen King-esque, overlong good vs evil in a small town type thing. Not scary.
Bunny - Mona Awad. Another that I wouldn't really call horror but I think it's terrific. You have to go in blind to this one and you'll never guess where it goes.
The Need - Helen Phillips. This has a good conceit but doesn't go anywhere very interesting with it.
Wakenhyrst - Michelle Paver. Really good gothic ghost story. If you've not read it I'd really recommend Paver's Dark Matter over this.
Mexican Gothic - Silvia Moreno-Garcia. People seem to find this hit or miss but it's a hit for me. Admirably crazy.
The Year of the Witching - Alexis Henderson. Found this a bit too YA fantasy for my tastes.
The Last House on Needless Street - Catriona Ward. I'm a fan of hers and really liked this. Read it very quickly.

Added a few to my list as well, thanks for the link.

easytarget

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 19, 2021, 01:04:33 PM
Baby Teeth - Zoje Stage - Freaky kid/ cuckoo stuff by the look of it.
I read this. It's... ok, not great. Starts pretty strong then trails off, also
Spoiler alert
no real ending, seems to be trying to set up a sequel
[close]

Also a couple by Paul Tremblay. Read one of his (Head Full of Ghosts) but Cabin... looks good.
Prefered HFoG to Cabin at the End of the World TBH, and I preferred his short story collection (Growing Things) even more (because I'm one of those edgy controversial people who think horror works better as a short story than a novel - check out my mind blowing opinions - no it's really good though).

Artie Fufkin

Fellside - M.R.Carey - Set in a prison on the moors of West Yorkshire (where I live) but reviews have said it's more of a thriller than horror.

Mweh. It was ok. Preferred The Girl With All The Gifts.

holyzombiejesus

Currently about 2/3 of the way through Witch Bottle by Tom Fletcher. Set in grotty north of England, the protagonist is Daniel, a milkman who keeps seeing a hooded figure in his garden. Enjoying it so far although the way Daniel seems to take certain things in his stride is a bit odd. Bumf refers to it as folk horror.

Has anyone read Stallo/ Here Be Monsters by Stefan Spjut? Sounds good and published by Faber so it might be a cut above some of the guff I've read recently. It's bizarrely got " 'Very scary.' METRO ***** " on the spine. Anyway, might start that tonight if I can finish Witch Bottle today.

Also got the latest book by Lucie "Water Shall Refuse Them" McKnight-Hardy. Short stories which is a bit of a disappointment but I really liked her first book so will read sooner rather than later.

dry_run

Just finished the latest ANev Cunning Folk. It was really good. Fits with The Reddening in the its really well paced and twists and turns. I'm not sure if this period is his best work, but it's certainly must read.

Quote from: easytarget on October 20, 2021, 06:31:19 AM
I read this. It's... ok, not great. Starts pretty strong then trails off, also
Spoiler alert
no real ending, seems to be trying to set up a sequel
[close]
I'm one of those edgy controversial people who think horror works better as a short story than a novel

I completely agree. Mainly because they don't have to do endings and can just leave it up to your imagination. Most horror ends weakly with the monster reveal rarely paying off. Night Shift by Stephen King was the collection where I realised this I think. The writer doesn't need their characters as much in a short story so they can just abandon them to die. Which is much more satisfying.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: dry_run on November 16, 2021, 09:50:07 AMJust finished the latest ANev Cunning Folk. It was really good. Fits with The Reddening in the its really well paced and twists and turns. I'm not sure if this period is his best work, but it's certainly must read.

If anyone wants my paperback copy of this, bung Barry a tenner or something and I'll post it to you.

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on November 28, 2020, 10:56:09 PMI just finished Brother by Ania Ahlborn and it was absolutely fucking horrible. What a nasty book. Recommended

Thank you so much for the recommendation. I loved it!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on October 07, 2021, 05:25:42 PMNo One Gets Out Alive is on Netflix now. Not a very good adaptation alas.

I thought it was reasonable but nowhere close to the book and somewhat missing the key elements of the book.

BlodwynPig

Nevill's second but last "The Reddening" is fantastic - not as urban grim as No One Gets Out... (this is folk wyrd). I have his latest as a hardback (Cunning Folk - you guessed it, another folk wyrd), but not dipped in yet. I enjoy his e-mail missives as well, a good bunch of mads.

madhair60

I just finished Brother in one sitting. Nothing new but an extremely compelling read.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 03, 2021, 12:28:07 PMNevill's second but last "The Reddening" is fantastic - not as urban grim as No One Gets Out... (this is folk wyrd). I have his latest as a hardback (Cunning Folk - you guessed it, another folk wyrd), but not dipped in yet. I enjoy his e-mail missives as well, a good bunch of mads.
If you like your books in a digital format, Cunning Folk is currently 99p on Amazon.
I read Follow You Home by Mark Edwards the other day. Not brilliantly written. But it was ok, I guess. Not sure I'd read anything else by him.
An interesting idea, but a bit mweh in the end?

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: BlodwynPig on December 03, 2021, 12:28:07 PMNevill's second but last "The Reddening" is fantastic - not as urban grim as No One Gets Out... (this is folk wyrd). I have his latest as a hardback (Cunning Folk - you guessed it, another folk wyrd), but not dipped in yet. I enjoy his e-mail missives as well, a good bunch of mads.
About halfway through Cunning Folk.
It hasn't grabbed me quite as much as Ritual or No One, but the tension is now tightening up nicely. Good stuff. Looking forward to how it pans out.

BlodwynPig

I'm reading a Lovecraft inspired anthology that includes a Cthulhu-a-like story by Nevill. Compared to his weird folk novels, it was slow going - but is actually is horrifically dystopian. Some of his short story collections are equal to the long form tales. So this Lovecraft one is the only story I've struggled to turn into a page turner.

samadriel

What's it called? (The collection, or just Nevill's story) I'd I like to check it out.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: samadriel on February 05, 2022, 08:18:23 AMWhat's it called? (The collection, or just Nevill's story) I'd I like to check it out.
Wyrd And Other Derelictions, maybe?

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on February 04, 2022, 11:09:43 AMAbout halfway through Cunning Folk.
It hasn't grabbed me quite as much as Ritual or No One, but the tension is now tightening up nicely. Good stuff. Looking forward to how it pans out.
Finished this the other day. My least favourite Nevill book. It wasn't bad. Just didn't grab me as much as the other 2 of his I've read.
I'm now reading vol 5 of Sandman, and then I'll be reading Sara Gran's Come Closer, which I've heard good stuff about on here.

holyzombiejesus

Cunning Folk is much better if you imagine the weird neighbours are played by Mark Gattis and Steve Pemberton.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on February 23, 2022, 02:14:24 PMCunning Folk is much better if you imagine the weird neighbours are played by Mark Gattis and Steve Pemberton.
lolz

BlodwynPig

Quote from: samadriel on February 05, 2022, 08:18:23 AMWhat's it called? (The collection, or just Nevill's story) I'd I like to check it out.

The Gods of HP Lovecraft

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on February 07, 2022, 03:01:15 PMWyrd And Other Derelictions, maybe?

Thats a Neville only compendium. Great too and features no humans in any of the stories

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on February 23, 2022, 10:16:57 AMFinished this the other day. My least favourite Nevill book. It wasn't bad. Just didn't grab me as much as the other 2 of his I've read.
I'm now reading vol 5 of Sandman, and then I'll be reading Sara Gran's Come Closer, which I've heard good stuff about on here.

Come on - the female cop scene!

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on November 28, 2020, 10:56:09 PMBrother by Ania Ahlborn

I really like her. I've gone on to read

If You See Her was aaalright.
The Pretty Ones was good fun, but
Spoiler alert
with a twist you come seeing from the very beginning.
[close]
Seed was a lot better.
I'm reading The Neighbors and it's been great fun so far! Slightly disappointed that
Spoiler alert
the woman next door didn't turn out to be a witch. I was hoping she'd be a witch :(
[close]

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 25, 2022, 01:43:12 PMCome on - the female cop scene!
Ha! Yeah, that was weird. It was quite funny in places.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on February 23, 2022, 10:16:57 AMFinished this the other day. My least favourite Nevill book. It wasn't bad. Just didn't grab me as much as the other 2 of his I've read.
Read Come Closer yesterday, in one sitting (not a long book). Loved it! Really cool. Got straight into it. No mucking about. Will definitely read others by her.

Just got finished with "Dark Across the Bay" by Ania Ahlborn the other night. That's great fun! That's the next best one to "Brother", I've read so far, I think.

It's about a mother who books a holiday home on an island to try and patch up her family that's drifting apart a bit, and the story is told from the perspective of the different family members as it goes along. It's good.