Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:56:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New horror

Started by holyzombiejesus, September 18, 2019, 02:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Bingo Fury on November 28, 2019, 03:16:43 PM
A gentleman (excessively concerned with anonymity) never tells. I'm just really chuffed for how well John's doing, especially the attention The Fisherman's had. It'll be movies soon.
Fair play. He's brilliant. The newest collection (Sefira) is fantastic - I loved "The Unbearable Proximity of Mr. Dunn's Balloons". Scary balloons floating around. Something about that one really got under my skin.

dry_run

I want to read The Fisherman but it's only on paperback for £14 on Amazon. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Artie Fufkin

Jerzy Bondov

No it's just a bit of a hassle to get in the UK for some reason. I'd send you mine but I lent it to my friend and he's still got it because he's a little cunt.

I read both Wide Carnivorous Sky and Sefira on Kindle Unlimited during a 3 month free trial though.

Quote from: dry_run on November 28, 2019, 07:32:23 PM
I want to read The Fisherman but it's only on paperback for £14 on Amazon. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Get a parent or lover to buy it for you for Crimbo

dry_run

Quote from: Misspent Boners on November 30, 2019, 08:37:42 AM
Get a parent or lover to buy it for you for Crimbo

Ha! This plan has already been activated. They will be delighted that I'm reading a real book made of paper, so really it's a gift to them.

Artie Fufkin

^I too have planted my seed in Mrs Fufkin, so to speak^

BlodwynPig

Reading The Grin of the Dark (A Grin in the Dark would be a more chilling title). I love it so far and I'm only a fifth through. More like this please. (I have a feeling this Tubby fellow is not a good person).

dry_run

Is The Watcher by Charles Maclean of the same vibe as A Grin in the Dark? I read it a while back and can't really remember. But I think it has the same person investigates very strange stuff happening to them. Only starts with said person doing something very bad then trying to work out why.

dry_run

OF THE DARK ffs. My brain can't remember that.

BlodwynPig

Finished it. The ending got a bit horror by numbers pulpy but the dread and absurdity throughout had me hooked

Jerzy Bondov

Just finished The Reddening by Adam Nevill. Absolutely tore through it. It's about a mad cult on the South Devon coast. It tips its hand fairly slowly, starting with a few little vignettes before you meet the main characters. It's got some really tense bits and gets very violent.
Spoiler alert
The reveal that it's a bigger operation than just the farm, and the villains being dispatched by their boss
[close]
wasn't really what I wanted from the ending, but overall I loved it.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on February 10, 2020, 03:17:14 PM
Just finished The Reddening by Adam Nevill. Absolutely tore through it. It's about a mad cult on the South Devon coast. It tips its hand fairly slowly, starting with a few little vignettes before you meet the main characters. It's got some really tense bits and gets very violent.
Spoiler alert
The reveal that it's a bigger operation than just the farm, and the villains being dispatched by their boss
[close]
wasn't really what I wanted from the ending, but overall I loved it.

Might get this, but cult stuff is a bit drole.

Kryton

Quote from: BlodwynPig on February 10, 2020, 03:29:40 PM
Might get this, but cult stuff is a bit drole.

Didn't you vigorously defend the ending of
Spoiler alert
Kill List
[close]
a while back?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Kryton on February 10, 2020, 07:50:41 PM
Didn't you vigorously defend the ending of
Spoiler alert
Kill List
[close]
a while back?

Yes, but visually and aesthetically that went beyond standard cult stuff.

Jerzy Bondov

Yeah well I think The Reddening does that too

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on February 10, 2020, 07:57:53 PM
Yeah well I think The Reddening does that too

Not on apple store but got a horror trilogy of his for free

BlodwynPig

Just started Adam Nevill's Last Days and I'm paralysed with terror. Fucking hell.

Olarrio

I just finished Fever Dream thanks to this recommendation. Thoroughly enjoyed it and it gave me palpable anxiety, I only wish I'd read it in one, maybe two sittings. But that wasn't possible due to being a fairly new parent... HENCE THE DREAD

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on September 23, 2019, 11:46:49 AM
Haven't read much that has really grabbed me for a while but these are all fairly recent:

Fever Dream by Samanta Schweblin stressed me out a lot. Parental anxieties mixed with industrial pesticides. Horrible inevitability to everything that happens. Hard to look away. Very good.

Artie Fufkin

About two thirds the way through Andrew Michael Hurley's Devil's Day. Something bad's gonna happen soon. I can feel it. I've enjoyed it muchly so far. Folk horror kinda vibe. Kinda like The Loney, I guess, in style. Atmospheric, and a bit creepy. I know something bad's gonna happen soon.

Artie Fufkin

Hmmmm. Well. It never did happen. Just kinda petered out. It was a good story, though. Not as good as The Loney though.
I'm now reading The Dig by Cynan Jones. Another weird tale set on a farm.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on April 15, 2020, 10:08:13 AM
Hmmmm. Well. It never did happen. Just kinda petered out. It was a good story, though. Not as good as The Loney though.
I'm now reading The Dig by Cynan Jones. Another weird tale set on a farm.

Yeah, I thought that about Devil's Day. Could have been great but the characters were all horrible and it was just a bit meh by the end.

Don't really think The Dig is horror or 'weird'? There's a Cynan Jones thread on this sub somewhere.

BlodwynPig

SPOILERS!

I would have read fever dream otherwise.

Actually most horror just peters out. Exception would be the Adam Nevill book "Last Days" and possibly "No One Gets Out Alive", the former being a pressure cooker of fear that does explode, and the latter being a nasty piece of modern horror.

Artie Fufkin

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 15, 2020, 10:11:18 AM

Don't really think The Dig is horror or 'weird'?

Ok. Maybe just a bit fucking nasty?

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 15, 2020, 10:44:04 AM
Actually most horror just peters out. Exception would be the Adam Nevill book "Last Days" and possibly "No One Gets Out Alive", the former being a pressure cooker of fear that does explode, and the latter being a nasty piece of modern horror.
Just added those 2 to my wish list, ta.

holyzombiejesus

Just finished The Reddening. Only read it thanks to people on here so ta for that.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on May 26, 2020, 10:44:59 PM
Just finished The Reddening. Only read it thanks to people on here so ta for that.

Haven't managed to get a copy yet, is it recommended - have you read his others, how does it compare?

holyzombiejesus

I enjoyed reading it and it was better written than the vast majority of modern horror that I've read. It was well crafted genre fiction but I found it more exciting than scary. I haven't read anything else by the author so can't comment on how it compares.

Artie Fufkin

I read Jason Arnopp's Ghoster over the weekend. His first novel, The Last Days Of Jack Sparks, was great. This, his second novel, is not as good, but still pretty cool.
Spoiler alert
Woman moves from Leeds down to Brighton to move in with her boyfriend in his flat, to find him not there and also nothing else. Apart from his phone.....
She's a self-confessed phone addict and had recently done away with her smart phone.
[close]
It's a page turner, kept me guessing til the end. Good stuff. Creepy in places.