Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:58:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Something episodic like Mindhunter - suggestions

Started by paruses, September 18, 2019, 02:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paruses

Hello all -

I am on ep 9 of MH S2 now. I thought there were more episodes but this seems to be the last. I really enjoy the period feel of it - for me there is an otherworldly-ness to seeing 1960s / 70s / 80s America. I like the fact that everyone looks a bit hot in it and that days seem to go on forever.

Does anyone else know of any American-set period pieces with true - or invented - crime that I can move on to?  Netflix would be ideal as I can download those. Ditto Prime.

Ta.

phes

Not so much a period piece, but I'll still recommend the same show I always recommend as very few people have seen it. Justified. Set in Harlan, Kentucky, so the days are indeed long, hot and bleached. The show is based around feuding criminal gangs and the law. Season one contains a number of monster of the week episodes, before it settles into the long game. I think it's on prime. It's near perfect

The Americans seems to kind of fit your specs, but tbh I found it all a bit unremarkable

EOLAN

Manhunt on Netflix would be very similar themes and cover that general same period as well.

Also similarity of names, themes and original release dates made it impossible for me to remember which was which. 

niat

Quote from: EOLAN on September 18, 2019, 03:07:18 PM
Manhunt on Netflix would be very similar themes and cover that general same period as well.

Also similarity of names, themes and original release dates made it impossible for me to remember which was which. 

Mindhunter is much better.

paruses

Quote from: phes on September 18, 2019, 02:36:52 PM
Not so much a period piece, but I'll still recommend the same show I always recommend as very few people have seen it. Justified.

I was one of the few who did watch it and loved it. As you say once they ditch the Monster of the week thing it's excellent. Had forgotten about it and have never seen the last season.

Agree re: The Americans - have watched a lot and get into it when I binge but it's unremarkable - which is a feat in itself given the attention to detail and budget. Also, I can never ever remember which is the last season I have seen. Might get back to it though.

Quote from: EOLAN on September 18, 2019, 03:07:18 PM

Worth a look - thanks. Was it made way before MH? If not then it's a bit of a Billy the Cloneasaurus isn't it?

phes

Quote from: paruses on September 18, 2019, 03:55:51 PM
I was one of the few who did watch it and loved it. As you say once they ditch the Monster of the week thing it's excellent. Had forgotten about it and have never seen the last season

The last season is arguably the best season. That said, season 2 is one of my least favourite and it's almost always ranked as the best, so maybe I'm not to be trusted

Mister Six

Justified must have been pretty big in the US because it ran to seven seasons and had at least one Super Bowl ad.

The last season is excellent (I think the one preceding it, or the one preceding that - the one that opens with a dead parachutist - is the weakest) but the second is the best, so you are mad.

phes

Quote from: Mister Six on September 18, 2019, 04:15:32 PM
Justified must have been pretty big in the US because it ran to seven seasons and had at least one Super Bowl ad.

The last season is excellent (I think the one preceding it, or the one preceding that - the one that opens with a dead parachutist - is the weakest) but the second is the best, so you are mad.

Viewing figures were about 2.5-4m for premieres, so not huge. But whereas pretty much everyone I know has watched Mad Men, which had comparible figures, virtually nobody I meet has watched Justified. And while shows like Mad Men continue to cement their place in lists of the best shows, Justified becomes more obscure

Mister Six

One of the things I love about that show is that every character is a character. Even those tiny one-scene characters, like a receptionist or bank clerk, will have some personality, whether they're too busy fiddling with Solitaire to properly answer questions or desperately flirting with some of the more attractive cast members.

rjd2

Not an obscure choice, but Unabomber was very good which is on netflix which is about the erm Unabomber.

Americans is very much a binge show I think, but season 3 and 4 are wonderful.

EOLAN

Quote from: rjd2 on September 18, 2019, 09:41:59 PM
Not an obscure choice, but Unabomber was very good which is on netflix which is about the erm Unabomber.

Americans is very much a binge show I think, but season 3 and 4 are wonderful.

Yep, Manhunt Unabomber. Made and released around same time as Mindhunter Season 1. Real.life criminal.being portrayed again the highlight albeit.pre- arrest primarily.

rjd2

Quote from: EOLAN on September 18, 2019, 10:58:17 PM
Yep, Manhunt Unabomber. Made and released around same time as Mindhunter Season 1. Real.life criminal.being portrayed again the highlight albeit.pre- arrest primarily.

Sorry Eolan I did read your post! I googled Manhunt and assumed you meant this

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/manhunt_2019

As I dislike Clunes I decided not to investigate further!