Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:45:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What is your favourite London Underground station?

Started by Fambo Number Mive, September 18, 2019, 04:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Inspired by All The Stations - Geoff's favourite Tube station is Sudbury Town. Least favourite Queen's Park

My favourite station is Baker Street - it's light and airy and I love the Met line platforms.

My least favourite station is Victoria as it is SO crowded.

If you don't have a favourite or least favourite London Underground station, use your nearest light rail/underground service.

bgmnts

Covent Garden because it has that massive winding staircase.

Fambo Number Mive

I like the staircase at Russell Square (and hate the scary lifts) but they keep telling people not to go up/down it except in emergencies. It's not that many steps. I presume they are worried about being sued.

bgmnts

They made us go up it in Covent Garden once because the lift was broken, there were lots of unhappy chubbers I must say.

imitationleather

Getting to the other side of the Greenwich foot tunnel and finding the lift down that end is shut has also caused despair in many.

pancreas

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Very old ones are impractical but characterful

The new ones are airy and clinical but feel like you are in the bowels of evil

The in between ones are more often drab than anything else. Film of dirt, unloved.

Bank is my least favourite for the sheer amount of walking.

Covent Garden and whichever one is near the natural history museum are nice despite the tourism as they are distinctive.

imitationleather

I like the 1930s architecture of the ones along the Cockfosters extension of the Piccadilly line. Always get my prostate purring, they do.

imitationleather

Bethnal Green is nails. What other station in the network can say it killed 173 people in one night using nothing but a single staircase?

Glebe

massive bereavement

honeychile

Charles Holden's stations at the north end of the Piccadilly Line are jewels. Much has been written about Southgate but it is a beauty. From the outside it's like a UFO landed, inside the foyer is all warm ethereal lighting, and then the escalators go full art deco.

The ceiling at Oakwood is really impressive in its modernist pride. There's a similar one on another line where the ceiling is bright blue (i think), can't think what it is though.

I love some of those oxblood tiled ones too. Russell Square is nice form the outside, but probably the best of the bunch from within or without is Gloucester Road.

pigamus

London Bridge because I lived next to it for a while.

hamfist

Billy

Mornington Crescent had a huge fascination for me as a child because it was closed for years (1992-98), and it always appeared on maps with a red cross over it as if it was secret station no one was allowed to enter. Once my parents (after much insistence) took me to "visit" the closed station, and peering through the locked gate I remember seeing signs and posters that looked left over from closure, like some kind of early 1990s time capsule still around in the New Labour/Spice Girls latter half of the decade. Still odd now to see it open again, and I think when I first heard about ISIHAC a few years later I wrongly assumed the whole reason they'd named the game that was because of the closure.

Similarly Holborn used to have an entire platform that was closed off in the early 90s when the Aldwych branch closed, but was still visible through a gate until about 2002 when they built a wall over the old entrance. As a skinny 13 year old I could have easily squeezed through the small gap in the gate, but was worried about getting caught so left it. From memory the advertisments on the walls were fairly recent, perhaps so they could use it for filming purposes or not to confuse early-noughties commuters wondering why Windows 3.1 and Take That albums were still being advertised.

Quote from: bgmnts on September 18, 2019, 04:09:06 PM
They made us go up it in Covent Garden once because the lift was broken, there were lots of unhappy chubbers I must say.

Haha. I love the Covent Garden staircase. "Do not use except in an emergency." Fuck that, I'm going straight up there. 193 steps is basically fuck all really if you're having a day out in that London.

poodlefaker

Quote from: honeychile on September 18, 2019, 04:26:37 PM
Charles Holden's stations at the north end of the Piccadilly Line are jewels. Much has been written about Southgate but it is a beauty. From the outside it's like a UFO landed, inside the foyer is all warm ethereal lighting, and then the escalators go full art deco.
I've seen black and white photos of Southgate when it first opened and there are horses and carts on the road outside. It really does look like it's appeared from the future.

kngen

Quote from: Billy on September 18, 2019, 04:41:03 PM
Mornington Crescent had a huge fascination for me as a child because it was closed for years (1992-98), and it always appeared on maps with a red cross over it as if it was secret station no one was allowed to enter. Once my parents (after much insistence) took me to "visit" the closed station, and peering through the locked gate I remember seeing signs and posters that looked left over from closure, like some kind of early 1990s time capsule still around in the New Labour/Spice Girls latter half of the decade. Still odd now to see it open again, and I think when I first heard about ISIHAC a few years later I wrongly assumed the whole reason they'd named the game that was because of the closure.

I used to live on Mornington Crescent (when the station was closed) so had to schlep up to Camden or down to Euston to get the tube. When it reopened (long after I left the area), I went there purely to get off at that station and see what I'd been missing all those years. Extreme convenience, that's what. Bastards.

BlodwynPig

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on September 18, 2019, 04:02:30 PM
Inspired by All The Stations - Geoff's favourite Tube station is Sudbury Town. Least favourite Queen's Park

I'm surprised that Queen's Park was the least favourite, I lived near it for 15 years and though it's fairly charmless, and there's no escalators or elevators, there's nothing wrong with it and there are far grimmer places.

My favourite is Tottenham Court Road if only because at night I can reenact that famous scene from American Werewolf In London. Least favourite is King's Cross as it's fucking massive and can take an age to get out of.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Hopefully someone will repost that webpage which hosts isometric diagrams (or whatever the particular term is) for the layout of every single tube station.

I'm at an age where that is equally as interesting as the tumblr page hosting every single Playboy centrefold

wosl

Haven't been to London for a hundred years, but of those I used to use regularly in the late '80s/early '90s, probably Chiswick Park (any of those Brit-take-on-Euro modernism stations are great though).  Most disliked using the old Angel station.

Goldentony

London is like walking into a big shitting arsehole that's got a burlap sack of uncut gold nuggets somewhere among it and more or less every tube station has reinforced that for me but the day after Soft Cell at the O2 I was sat at the pub across from Morington Crescent and its really nice outside.

And with that I also win, thanks

touchingcloth

Is there one which isn't crammed to the absolute ginnels with cunts either walking the wrong way or complaining about other cunts walking the wrong way?

Goldentony

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 18, 2019, 06:52:53 PM
Is there one which isn't crammed to the absolute ginnels with cunts either walking the wrong way or complaining about other cunts walking the wrong way?

Canning Town

Absorb the anus burn

Great Portland Street... The lighting there is really atmospheric.

Pingers

I always appreciated Walthamstow Central for being at the end of the line, so that when I was asleep because of work/drugs/work & drugs I wouldn't miss my stop. Also Baker Street for the Olde Worlde charm. Finsbury Park is a horrible, filthy pit of shit.

Mister Six

Almost all of the NYC subway system outside of the newly built Q stations (probably all of it, but I haven't done a comprehensive survey and I suspect the stations nearest Ground Zero may have been given a spit and polish) is a rusted, crumbling, decrepit mess. But you do get some great bands playing at 14th St - Union Square. You get good ones at 42nd St - Times Square, too, but fuck midtown.

Worst? Any of the ones where the uptown and downtown tracks are only connected overground, so if you fuck up and swipe onto the wrong track, you can't get onto the other one without either forking out more cash or waiting 20 mins (if you are on an unlimited card). Usually you can just jump over the turnstile, but sometimes there's a manned booth, and those people have nothing better to do than make your life hell if you break the rules.