Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:08:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What is your favourite London Underground station?

Started by Fambo Number Mive, September 18, 2019, 04:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Quote from: Mister Six on September 18, 2019, 07:11:21 PM
Almost all of the NYC subway system outside of the newly built Q stations (probably all of it, but I haven't done a comprehensive survey and I suspect the stations nearest Ground Zero may have been given a spit and polish) is a rusted, crumbling, decrepit mess. But you do get some great bands playing at 14th St - Union Square. You get good ones at 42nd St - Times Square, too, but fuck midtown.

Worst? Any of the ones where the uptown and downtown tracks are only connected overground, so if you fuck up and swipe onto the wrong track, you can't get onto the other one without either forking out more cash or waiting 20 mins (if you are on an unlimited card). Usually you can just jump over the turnstile, but sometimes there's a manned booth, and those people have nothing better to do than make your life hell if you break the rules.

Roosevelt Island subway stop is weirdly nice, but yeah its mostly all abysmal, and I don't understand why.

Dyl Spinks

The one that the American Werewolf goes about in.

Mister Six

Quote from: bgmnts on September 18, 2019, 07:31:04 PM
Roosevelt Island subway stop is weirdly nice, but yeah its mostly all abysmal, and I don't understand why.

As I understand it, it's because the MTA's budget is controlled by the state, not the city, for some arcane reason, and so money that could support a mass transit system used by millions daily, including visitors from all over the world, gets funneled through to a shed-building contest outside Syracuse or some fucking thing.

Mister Six

Anyway, thanks for the tip! I've been meaning to visit Roosevelt Island for a while, so I reckon I'll get the train over and the cable car back. Or vice versa. Hmmm.

Tikwid

NoSleep

Quote from: honeychile on September 18, 2019, 04:26:37 PM
Charles Holden's stations at the north end of the Piccadilly Line are jewels. Much has been written about Southgate but it is a beauty. From the outside it's like a UFO landed, inside the foyer is all warm ethereal lighting, and then the escalators go full art deco.

I can't specify a single example but that was my first thought on seeing this thread. So many of the old art deco buildings I enjoyed (like the long lost Co-op in Bromley) have been demolished, but the Underground is still going strong.

buttgammon

Quote from: pancreas on September 18, 2019, 04:15:42 PM
Westminster has a sort of Ballardian charm.

Yes - the interchange between the Jubilee and District/Circle is just about my favourite bit of any underground station. The metal structures you see when you use those escalators are actually the foundations of Portcullis House.

bgmnts

Quote from: Mister Six on September 18, 2019, 07:56:49 PM
Anyway, thanks for the tip! I've been meaning to visit Roosevelt Island for a while, so I reckon I'll get the train over and the cable car back. Or vice versa. Hmmm.

I wouldn't recommend it really. They do some cable car thing but there is NOTHING there. It is one of the weirdest places i've been to, this tiny island of total serenity dotted roght in the middle of one of the most energetic and busy places on earth.

studpuppet

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 18, 2019, 05:33:57 PM
Hopefully someone will repost that webpage which hosts isometric diagrams (or whatever the particular term is) for the layout of every single tube station.

I'm at an age where that is equally as interesting as the tumblr page hosting every single Playboy centrefold

Not that, but Renzo Picasso's drawings are wonderful:

Mr Banlon

Favourite : West Acton (Looks like a lovely old Art Deco cinema)
Worst : Clapham Common (The island platform is way too fucking narrow)

I have a bit of a soft spot for the Clapham island platform stations, though tbf I rarely have to go to them and never when it's properly busy. I'd imagine they're a nightmare during rush hour

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: bgmnts on September 18, 2019, 07:31:04 PM

why would anyone use that in preference to the cable car?

imitationleather

Those island platforms freak me out. I'm known to not walk in a straight line much so I just kind of stick to the centre and zig-zag about while gripped by fear.

a duncandisorderly

Pijlstaart

Love the camaraderie of the underground, we're all commuters, all in it together. Love getting caught up in rush-hour crushes, pillowy arsecheeks envelop me from all angles, we meld together as one churning sweaty mass. No eye contact, only love.

Anything northern line bothers me a bit, too deep for me, different wind and different smells. The people down there are different too, you don't see them all on the surface. Make sure to follow official signage down there, or you'll get lost. Moorgate somehow feels deserted even at it's busiest, it has a gloom to it.

beanheadmcginty

A female friend of mine was once sitting on the tube when a strange man leant across and asked her where it terminated. As soon as she answered "Cockfosters" he whipped out his nob and started wanking.

Pingers

A mate used to have a system to describe how drunk he was with reference to tube stations. The more drunk he was, the further from the centre the tube station. So after a few pints he was Tufnell Parked, and God help you if he was West Ruisliped

Mister Six

Quote from: bgmnts on September 18, 2019, 08:34:38 PM
I wouldn't recommend it really. They do some cable car thing but there is NOTHING there. It is one of the weirdest places i've been to, this tiny island of total serenity dotted roght in the middle of one of the most energetic and busy places on earth.

To be honest, that makes it sound even more interesting! I live in the Upper East Side - our dog park overlooks Roosevelt Island - so it's not too much of a trek. We'll just go there to walk the dog one sunny autumn weekend, I think.

idunnosomename

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on September 18, 2019, 10:16:09 PM
A female friend of mine was once sitting on the tube when a strange man leant across and asked her where it terminated. As soon as she answered "Cockfosters" he whipped out his nob and started wanking.
i hope she killed him

bgmnts

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on September 18, 2019, 09:32:35 PM
why would anyone use that in preference to the cable car?

Fuck no not a cable car, those things that go on a track up in the air. Its like a tourism thing

imitationleather

Quote from: bgmnts on September 18, 2019, 11:23:08 PM
Fuck no not a cable car, those things that go on a track up in the air. Its like a tourism thing

A rollercoaster?

peanutbutter

Great Portland Street is the only OG one that sticks out to me at all tbh...

But the answer is Heathrow because it means I can get to an airport without it feeling like an unusual ordeal

Funcrusher

East Finchley. Really cool deco fittings and designs, including the platform waiting rooms and the sculpture of an archer over the entrance.

Mister Six

Fuck me. I've entered a universe in which cable cars have become trams and trams have become cable cars.