Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:36:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The 50 Best Comedians of the 21st Century

Started by sevendaughters, September 18, 2019, 04:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lankyguy95

I know these lists are terrible but this is as bad as it gets.

Tony Yeboah

Putting Louis CK in is quite bold. Russell Brand is the biggest no-no for me and I'd have Stewart Lee a lot higher. I would have definitely put the Broad City duo in. These lists are fun to debate as long as no-one takes them too seriously, otherwise I fear for Nish Kumar.

Swoz_MK

Didn't expect to see Tig or Bamford on there.

Cuellar

Best Comedians

No.49 - People Just Do Nothing

Right. What they've done there is confuse a TV program with a human person. If they like the show, why not have it in one of their many other lists, maybe the one about TV shows?

Shit Good Nose

Is Matt Berry a comedian?  I don't mean that in a "urgh, Matt Berry - he's fucking shit" way (I rather like him), but he's not really a comedian is he.  Is he?

Surprised Bill Bailey is nowhere to be seen on there, especially as The Guardian was championing him in the very early days.

And the fact that Sarah Silverman is on there at all raises my eyebrows - one of the top (/bottom) 5 worst comedy gigs I've ever seen in over 25 years, and one of only a few A-list comedians I've seen properly die on stage.

Some interesting choices though, and nice to see Vic and Bob placed so high when a lot of people think they're past their best (not me - I still love 'em).

Cuellar

StewLee at 41 is a joke though isn't it. A little in-joke.

imitationleather

QuoteRichard Ayoade
A man with such comic gift he can make an HSBC advert watchable.

I like Richard Ayode but come on. I don't think the compiler's heart is in this at all.

Endicott

Quote from: Tony Yeboah on September 18, 2019, 04:54:35 PM
... and I'd have Stewart Lee a lot higher.

Um, he's at number 41. Which surely is their little joke, yes?

edit  - fucksake

NoSleep

Quote from: Cuellar on September 18, 2019, 05:03:47 PM
StewLee at 41 is a joke though isn't it. A little in-joke.

Which made me laugh (out loud) when I stumbled upon it. When I say "stumbled" I mean the first thing I did when I found the page was look for Stewart Lee.

shh

Phoebe Waller-Bridge obviously in a league of her own.

Hillbert

What sort of criteria is this list using? Do they need to be mainly a performer? As that's the only way to explain the lack of Armando Iannucci.

bgmnts

Quotethe reigning champions of surreal comedy

Vic Reeves is ranting somewhere now.

It should just be Bob Mortimer anyway.

EOLAN

Whatever about the list, on my webpage viewing the pictures seemed to be aligned as if they were attached to the comedian named above it; but actually related to the one below. Was surprised I missed Larry David's period in a blonde wig sitting on a red fold up chair.

Capt.Midnight

Now, I'm not that passionate about comedy, but that list is total horse poop.

easytarget

Quote from: NoSleep on September 18, 2019, 05:10:41 PM
Which made me laugh (out loud) when I stumbled upon it. When I say "stumbled" I mean the first thing I did when I found the page was look for Stewart Lee.
yep.
nice meta-joke Guardian. Your list is fucking terrible (Silverman above Bamford, anyone above Bamford, No Kyle Kinnane, no Eddie Pepitone, no John Oliver, CK still on the fucking list. Nish fucking Kumar on the list.)

up_the_hampipe

They have mixed stand-ups with comedy actors, writers and groups, so the whole thing is a mess. Tina Fey is number 1, largely for that sitcom she starred in that had like 20 writers.

selectivememory

No Nathan Fielder either. He should probably be #1, although Stew would be my pick for that.

up_the_hampipe

Bill Burr might be the most glaring omission, even if it's from a UK publication. He just did a special from two sell-out shows at the Royal Albert Hall.

selectivememory

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 18, 2019, 06:41:27 PM
Bill Burr might be the most glaring omission

No Norm either! What a joke of a list.

Loads of my faves not on it, but I guess they're too obscure/American to get noticed by the Guardian. But Fielder, Burr and McDonald are huge omissions. Two of the most naturally funny people alive, and the guy who made the best and most ambitious comedy show of the last 20 years.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: selectivememory on September 18, 2019, 06:46:41 PM
No Norm either! What a joke of a list.

To be fair, Norm was already big in the 90s so he probably wouldn't qualify for the list. Chris Rock shouldn't really be in there either, unless it includes comedians that continued to be great into the 21st century, in which case it's an even bigger joke that some of those names are in the list.

MortSahlFan

that list is funnier than most of the comedians

chveik

no Andy Daly no PFFR no Wurster & Scharpling

fuck this shite

JCR

Boyle directly above Kitson must be a rib.

Anthony Jeselnik is similar to Boyle but better.

No Doug Stanhope or Jim Jefferies? Meh.

sevendaughters

I think I'd have Karl Pilkington in terms of belly laughs or Gregg Turkington in terms of variety and interest. Obviously this top 50 is a bag of shit.

Brundle-Fly

peanutbutter

Tiffany Haddish at #6? I mean, I thought she was fantastic in Girl's Trip but what the fuck?

Bizarre lists... and you just know they're doing ones for the 10s in literally 8 weeks or so too

Quote from: Cuellar on September 18, 2019, 05:02:44 PM
Best Comedians

No.49 - People Just Do Nothing

Right. What they've done there is confuse a TV program with a human person. If they like the show, why not have it in one of their many other lists, maybe the one about TV shows?

Remember when "Peter Kay" was named the best comedy moment on some Channel 4 list show?

Was Peter Kay funny in this century? Some of the early releases were good, before fleecing the Great British Public, and if they can separate Louis CK "then and now" there's no reason why Peter Kay's not there at about 48.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: thecuriousorange on September 18, 2019, 09:48:08 PM
Was Peter Kay funny in this century?

Well, there was Car Share and Cradle to Grave.  Appreciate those were sitcoms, but he was genuinely funny in them.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: chveik on September 18, 2019, 07:28:20 PM
no Andy Daly no PFFR no Wurster & Scharpling

fuck this shite

As Tom used to say after each Best Show Gems, Jon Wurster is the funniest dude alive.

Overall, a very odd list.

Happy to see Larry David and Julia Davis in the top ten.

Delighted to see Richard Herring didn't make the list.

I'd swap out Gervais and put in Merchant.

The Boosh can fuck right off.

No Norm? What the H?

Brett Gelman would make my Top 50 just for Gelmania.

Wouldn't know Kevin Bridges in an identity line up of one person.

If Russell Brand makes the list, then Matt Morgan and Trevor Lock* should do, too.

(I still rate Trevor Lock as the funniest stand up I've ever seen).