Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:32:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The 50 Best Comedians of the 21st Century

Started by sevendaughters, September 18, 2019, 04:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terryfuckwit

Makes me happy people hate CK and think he's a rapistm Ha ha ha.

Not a great list, but who can argue with #23? Nobody makes me laugh harder than Hannah Gadsby. Fittingly, the Michael Jordan of comedy.

JCR

I saw Nanette live, I was the only man in the front row and most of the rest of the audience was crying at the end. It was awkward but I do like a good fuck you denouement to my Edinburgh shows.

Urinal Cake

Gadsby I think will have a lasting effect on comedy if not through her own work than by those she has and will influence either following or reacting against her.

Currently, I think she has broadened the audience of stand-up and has renewed interest in what seems like a stagnating format.

phantom_power

I thought Nanette was a pretty powerful show but not that funny, and Gadsby's style is too actorly for my tastes, too rehearsed and almost mechanical. And that she said she was retiring from comedy, which was clearly bullshit, undermined the whole thing a little bit

JCR

I think she did plan to retire when Nanette was only a show for the Melbourne and Edinburgh festivals. But when it became clear she could fill large theatres with it and get a Netflix deal, that obviously changed.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Urinal Cake on September 19, 2019, 03:30:45 AM
Gadsby I think will have a lasting effect on comedy if not through her own work than by those she has and will influence either following or reacting against her.

Currently, I think she has broadened the audience of stand-up and has renewed interest in what seems like a stagnating format.

This is the problem with some of the Nanette praise. Stand-up is not stagnant, there's always people playing with the form, or presenting original material in the form. It was very good and very powerful, but she's not the first to do it, and it doesn't mean that other comedy is plain in comparison.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 19, 2019, 10:57:16 AM
This is the problem with some of the Nanette praise. Stand-up is not stagnant, there's always people playing with the form, or presenting original material in the form. It was very good and very powerful, but she's not the first to do it, and it doesn't mean that other comedy is plain in comparison.
As comedy fans we agree. But to sections of the public especially in the US in the context of Cosby, Louis CK etc- it must've been seen as groundbreaking.

phantom_power

Quote from: JCR on September 19, 2019, 10:23:57 AM
I think she did plan to retire when Nanette was only a show for the Melbourne and Edinburgh festivals. But when it became clear she could fill large theatres with it and get a Netflix deal, that obviously changed.

She should have taken that bit out then. It detracts from the rest of the show

Virgo76

Cuellar

Quote from: thecuriousorange on September 18, 2019, 09:48:08 PM
Remember when "Peter Kay" was named the best comedy moment on some Channel 4 list show?

The idea of 'Peter Kay' being a comedy moment is cracking me up

Bazooka

Of anything 21st century, surely the requirements mean you have to be born after 2001?

Terryfuckwit

Quote from: Bazooka on September 19, 2019, 03:38:13 PM
Of anything 21st century, surely the requirements mean you have to be born after 2001?

Clearly not, dude.

sponk

Missing the two biggest comedians of the century... Donald Trump and Boris Johnson.

easytarget

'ere lads, lads, lads - you know who I'd put on that list, right, old Tony Blair, yeah? Eh? Lads? Eh?

dissolute ocelot

Fuck, was Ali G really from this millennium? Half and half, it seems, although the omission of the The 11 O'Clock Show is best explained by it finishing in 1999. Still doesn't feel like he belongs.

I bet if a Guardian list came out around 2012, Chris Lilley would have been near the top (alongside Lena Dunham), but things sure change fast around here.

Also, Tim Heidecker should clearly be several places above Eric Wareheim.

Quote from: Urinal Cake on September 19, 2019, 03:30:45 AM

The "vaguely comedic one-woman monologue about a serious issue" has been around forever, there was nothing innovative about Nanette. In fact it is a particularly mediocre example of the genre (go watch 80s Whoopi Goldberg to see what a good version looks like).

And I refuse to believe a single poster on this forum actually found it funny.

(I agree with the politics behind it, for the record, lest this sound like an anti-"SJW" rant.)

colacentral

If you think this list is bad, check out their video game one.