Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:30:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The OTHER 100 best TV shows of the 21st century (acc. to CaB not the Grauniad)

Started by mothman, September 18, 2019, 06:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gulftastic

31. Dick and Dom in Da Bunglaow

Saturday and Sunday morning kids' telly has never been better. At it's peak, this show surpassed imperial phase TISWAS for me. Two daft front men clearly having the time of their lives,along with a talented crew doing the same. I was far outside it's supposed target audience, but adored it anyway.

mothman

I dunno, shouldn't we be sticking to shows not on the other 100 (Detectorists is in there)? Well, up to consensus I guess.

32. Inspector Montalbano (1999 - )

The Scandinavians invented Hygge, that sense of coziness. Only not in their TV, with all that Scandinoir with cold winters  and tortured detectives. Nope, you gotta go to Sicily for the real stuff. Where Montalbano holds sway, solving crimes by sipping espressos on his balcony overlooking the bay, swimming methodically across said bay, and having a girlfriend played by more actors than have played Dan in The Archers (old joke alert).

It's not all cosiness, there are some pretty horrific crimes that happen. But Montalbano takes it all in his stride, accompanied by his sidekicks, the unflappable Fazio and the all-too-flappable Mimi. And the food is to die for. Recently, inspired by the show, I made Pasta 'Ncasciata - essentially a ragu-based pasta bake with cubes of deep-fried aubergine in, which melt in the mouth. It was delicious.

rjd2

The returned the French version.

Absence silly especially with the average The Killing included in the main list.

VelourSpirit

34. Trailer Park Boys

I never got around to watching the Netflix series but those first few Showcase series were more than enough to cement it as an iconic series. Amongst all of the ridiculous characters performed by a hilarious cast, John Dunsworth (RIP) brought Mr Lahey to life in one of my favourite comedy performances of all time.

Blue Jam

^^^ Oooh good one. How the fuck is Trailer Park Boys not in the Guardian's list?

NoSleep

35. Archer - Amazing cast, persistently good through 9 seasons, anyway. I love this show despite never being much into James Bond et al. I guess it's not really about that, just great chemistry between the characters. How can you go wrong with such a great team (let other people other than Adam Reed write for them, like in season 10)?

Bronzy

36. Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!

Don't think I need to explain this one, to be honest. "The nightmare version of television" sums it up well.

37. The Eric Andre Show

It's like Monty Python and Tim & Eric decided to do a talk show, it's great.

38. Limmy's Show

It's so impressive because it was made by an internet comedian for a relatively small audience in a relatively small country and therefore it had a relatively small budget, and yet it's become a cult hit worldwide, which is a true testament to how well made it is. Somehow manages to constantly switch between surrealism and realism without breaking a sweat.

Bronzy

39. Mid Morning Matters with Alan Partridge

Was tempted to include I'm Alan Partridge but then that would only include Series 2 which isn't as well-received as the first, so I went with MMMWAP instead.

40. Wonder Showzen

Doing lists like these really make you remember some great shows you've totally forgotten about for ages, don't they?

41. Jam (2000)

An only slightly less essential television adaptation of a darkly surreal radio program from obscure comedy auteur "Chris Morris". A show so visionary that its title was designed to terrorize viewers by anticipating a Grauniad Top 100 list 19 years later in which a simple Ctrl+F for "Jam" would return "James Corden" as the first and penultimate result.

Bronzy

Doing this kind of list on this kind of forum is just going to end up with the vast majority being comedy shows, and I'm totally fine with that, to be honest.

Quite pleased, truth be told, as I don't really watch anything else on TV.

Bronzy

42. SpongeBob SquarePants

IT's JuSt A kidS ShOW tHOugH

43. Death Note

Got to include one anime at least.

44. Nirvanna the Band the Show

Taking a self-imposed break now, otherwise I'll never stop.

45. Masterchef Junior USA

Might never have kids but I will never fail to be warmed and cheered by these little sods. Funny, daft, impressive, weepy, inspiring. Best thing Ramsay ever done.

Bazooka

46. Worlds Deadliest Police Videos

Bad blokes and lasses running(mainly driving) from the law.

Jockice

Quote from: Bazooka on September 20, 2019, 07:41:19 AM
46. Worlds Deadliest Police Videos

Bad blokes and lasses running(mainly driving) from the law.

Any of those shows. Road Wars, Police Interceptors, Cop Squad etc. I love them. Really, I do.

phes

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 19, 2019, 08:51:22 PM
^^^ Oooh good one. How the fuck is Trailer Park Boys not in the Guardian's list?

This. Wanted to add it but realised I'd already added about five.

How the fuck is trailer park boys not top 20 or 30, let alone missed out completely. The idea that the unoriginal, dated, one ok and one shite season Fleabag would.... URGH

Who? Only a shithawk

chveik

Blue Jam

Quote from: Bronzy on September 20, 2019, 04:25:10 AM
42. SpongeBob SquarePants

IT's JuSt A kidS ShOW tHOugH

I was going to nominate this one but I couldn't be sure if it started in the 1990s or not. Anyway, it's great. Junior Ren and Stimpy.

Blue Jam

49: RuPaul's Drag Race

Sounds like one of those shows where the producers thought up the name before anything else. It's not one of those. It's just really great television.

On the subject of reality TV, I love Ramsay's Hotel Hell but I'm not sure I can seriously nominate my favourite crap TV show ever. It is crap. And absolutely brilliant.

phes

50. Gravity Falls. Scooby Doo come Twin Peaks cult kids animation. Two near perfect seasons then fucked by something or other. Took them about 2 years to screen the second season.

Edit

Seems Hirsh choose to end it, with a one hour special I've never seen!!!

ersatz99

I was too late to catch it the first time round on the Vice channel but it's now being reshown and based on the first season it's definitely up there for me:

Nirvana the band the show

imitationleather

Needs some o' that true crime shit like The Staircase / Making a Murderer /24 Hours in Police Custody

It's all I watch these days.

mothman

It occurred to me that I'm not sure there's an ITV show in either list? Didn't watch it, but the sheer hype around Broadchurch and its role in elevating Olivia Colman to national treasure status makes you think it might have featured (unless, yes, it has and I missed it).

phes

People have short memories. A few years ago it would have found its way into the list (undeservedly)

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

[b51 What We Do In The Shadows[/b]

Good, daft stuff, actually well suited to the tired as all bollocks pseudo doc format. BAT! I'll even let 'em off with having Matt Berry being Matt Berry in there. Didnae read the thread on this when it was up, did you lot approve if it ( actually, a link to that thread would be nice ).

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on September 21, 2019, 05:25:55 PM
What We Do In The Shadows

Good, daft stuff, actually well suited to the tired as all bollocks pseudo doc format. BAT! I'll even let 'em off with having Matt Berry being Matt Berry in there. Didnae read the thread on this when it was up, did you lot approve if it ( actually, a link to that thread would be nice ).

I gave up after 4 or 5 eps. Liked the boring squat cobbler guy though. Near miss for me as a whole.

Edit- fucking numeration has gone to shit here.

phes

rjd2

Quote from: mothman on September 21, 2019, 04:04:19 PM
It occurred to me that I'm not sure there's an ITV show in either list? Didn't watch it, but the sheer hype around Broadchurch and its role in elevating Olivia Colman to national treasure status makes you think it might have featured (unless, yes, it has and I missed it).
Can't really think of many shows that would deserve to be on it.

I was considering nominating The Chosen One from 2003 with Chris Eccelstone, but only seen it when young and initially aired so unsure how it holds up today.

imitationleather