Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:48:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The OTHER 100 best TV shows of the 21st century (acc. to CaB not the Grauniad)

Started by mothman, September 18, 2019, 06:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

Quote from: rjd2 on September 21, 2019, 07:30:27 PM
Can't really think of many shows that would deserve to be on it.

Which is the point. The channel which has some of the nation's most-watched programs, and is forever making new dramas, is seemingly incapable of turning out anything either memorable or good, let alone both.

Quote from: imitationleather on September 21, 2019, 07:37:18 PM
TV Burp is the best ITV show I can think of.

Has that been listed in this thread yet.

imitationleather

mothman

*sigh* 52. TV Burp. Also...

53. True Detective and 54. Fargo. OK, both anthology shows, with wild swings in quality between seasons, but still very watchable.

studpuppet

Marion & Geoff[2000]
Human Remains [2000]
Catterick[2004]
Burnistoun [2009]
Hunderby [2012]

samadriel

60. Adventure Time.  Great world-building over the course of a squillion bite-size episodes, it always left me wanting more (in a good way).  Every dip into the apocalyptic backstory was tantalising, and built up a kids' cartoon into a special kids' cartoon.  More than the story, there were the characters; how could you not love BMO, or Princess Bubblegum, or Marceline, or Lemongrab? Well, maybe not Lemongrab.  The cast -- John DiMaggio, Hynden Walch, Tom Kenny, Maria Bamford, Ron Perlman... big names and small, commonplace or only occasionally heard, their voices added invaluably to the show.  I haven't finished it yet, but I can't wait to do so.

phes

I hope whoever compiled that list is reading this and is ashamed of themselves. But I know they'd just thinking, damn, I forgot about Broadchurch

phes

61. Help

Can I put Help in this list? It's not really fair on Paul Whitehouse to not. It's the show i'd point to if anyone had the nerve to claim that he's not brilliant

phes

62. Derek

Robot Grief Dog. Ricky Gervais gets everything beautifully wrong in this piece that deserves to bookend his career with The Office

63. Community.

On rewatch a year ago I realised that in terms of consistency the rot sets in right after season one and in the end it's awful. Season one though is perfect and there's enough incredible individual episodes in the next couple of seasons to warrant inclusion

64. The Simpsons 10-15

Still good enough

65. Ally Law's YouTube channel

If mid-morning matters and various other web-based series are eligible then it opens up a bit of a can of worms. I'm putting this in though. I can't really find a justification not to put this in when re-heated old guff like Fleabag is considered innovative/top-tier. I have to admit that I don't really know the genesis of trespass/exploration series, but I got so much pleasure from watching this channel that it seems a fair place to start

selectivememory

If web-based series are allowed, then On Cinema at the Cinema is an easy pick. Including all the spin-offs like Decker and Tim's trial because they are all very much part of the OCatC timeline.

Edit: just to give it a quick write-up for those unfamiliar - the premise is that On Cinema is a film review show hosted by Tim Heidecker, who is joined almost every week by his "guest" Gregg Turkington, a self-described "film buff". The real subject of the show though is the relationship between the two, as Tim - who has no genuine interest in cinema - uses his show as a platform to air his political views, talk about his life, or promote one of his terrible vanity projects, while Gregg simply wants to talk about movies, and absolutely nothing else.

Then there are several spin-offs and specials which broaden the universe, and it does go to some truly unexpected places, plus there are loads of wonderful oddball supporting characters who pop up from time to time. I'd put it up there with the likes of Nathan For You and Review as one of the best comedy shows of the decade.

mothman

If you can have documentaries in the list, and web-based TV like anything from Netflix etc., then sure, why not?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: phes on September 22, 2019, 08:32:12 AM
I hope whoever compiled that list is reading this and is ashamed of themselves. But I know they'd just thinking, damn, I forgot about Broadchurch

The first season of Broadchurch was reasonably good, if only because Olivia Colman and David Tennant worked so well together. I wouldn't put it in a top 100 (or even a top 300) but I enjoyed watching it well enough. Went to shit afterwards though.

Dr Syntax Head

Gomorrah
That's been said already. In which case...

Misfits.
People just do nothing

phes

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on September 22, 2019, 12:25:29 PM
Gomorrah
That's been said already. In which case...

67.Misfits.
68.People just do nothing

69. Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle

How did they miss that

rjd2

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on September 22, 2019, 12:52:47 PM
15 Storeys High. The best comedy show ever made imo

Great minds etc.,,,its number 15 on the list.

Battlestar Galactica (Newer one )

Number 70

I know the last season or so had some misses and it dragged but first few seasons are pretty special and it ended nicely.

Always find it amusing that a show that moaned about not getting enough female viewers had some of the best female characters ever created.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on September 22, 2019, 01:09:09 PM
Battlestar is pretty special

Agreed, which is why I don't understand why they're doing yet another new version of it, I know it's not supposed to be another remake and just set in the same universe, but I still don't see the need.

Edit: 12 (again). Undone - Superb comedy drama from the makers of Bojack Horseman that's might be an exploration of mental illness, or a strange time travel show. Or both. The performances are stunning, the script's incredibly sharp, and it looks beautiful too.

Blue Jam

NoSleep put Undone in at no. 12... but allow me to third that recommendation.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 22, 2019, 01:30:23 PM
NoSleep put Undone in at no. 12... but allow me to third that recommendation.

Bugger, missed that, but I've changed the numbering just so it doesn't derail the thread!

71. Big Time In Hollywood, FL - An absolute gem of a series, it's a real tragedy it only ran for one season. Created and written by Alex Anfanger and Dan Schimpf, this sees two delusional brothers attempt to become film directors, getting Cuba Gooding Jnr. (playing himself in a deliciously over the top way) involved along the way, and it also features Jason Alexander sending himself up in a way that made me laugh a ridiculous amount. Essential comedy, if you've not seen it I recommend doing so this very second

NoSleep

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 22, 2019, 01:16:00 PM
Agreed, which is why I don't understand why they're doing yet another new version of it, I know it's not supposed to be another remake and just set in the same universe, but I still don't see the need.

Franchise and canon; the two pillars upon which Star Trek had continued.

chveik

NoSleep

Quote from: NoSleep on September 22, 2019, 01:54:32 PM
Franchise and canon; the two pillars upon which Star Trek had continued.

Never thought about it before, but perhaps the cyclical nature of the BSG universe means that the last one was not a remake of the original, either; just another turn of the wheel. Although there's probably canonical errors between the two (not seen the original since it was on TV).

Blue Jam

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 22, 2019, 01:16:00 PMEdit: 12 (again). Undone - Superb comedy drama from the makers of Bojack Horseman that's might be an exploration of mental illness, or a strange time travel show. Or both. The performances are stunning, the script's incredibly sharp, and it looks beautiful too.

Hehehe... Watching that series I tried to remember the last bit of TV I watched that had blown me away to the same extent and realised it was the Black Mirror episode "White Christmas".

73. Black Mirror, then. It was good before it went to Netflix.

The last series of BoJack Horseman really impressed me too, the eulogy episode in particular, but I think that's already in the list.

NoSleep

Isn't Black Mirror in the Graun list? In which case it can't be included here.

Blue Jam

Ah, right, sorry, I was unaware of that rule.

Alright then: 1. Fleabag

;)

Ja'moke

73. The Genius Game
The best gameshow ever? Very possible. South Korean reality-gameshow that requires smarts, strategy, and some glorious trickery. Brilliantly edited too.

Blue Jam

Baws, I see the Graun article also mentioned RuPaul's Drag Race so I'd better replace my nomination:

Quote from: Bronzy on September 20, 2019, 04:25:10 AM
43. Death Note

Got to include one anime at least.

73. Aggretsuko. I've seen this referred to as "The Japanese equivalent of The Office" and  yes, it's worthy of that description.

74. Grandmas House

Loved this as I know a lot on here did too, great performances all round, most underrated bbc show of the century? I don't know, probably.

bigfatheart