Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 10:38:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

‘Frit’

Started by solidified gruel merchant, September 19, 2019, 08:34:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
People are actually twats aren't they?
"Ooh legend Boris used a word you don't hear much these days. I must dutifully also use the new word in sentences and then some of  the pm's magic might rub off on me. I am shit and a disgrace."
I feel like I'm having knitting needles driven into my ears when I hear this guff.

Do you remember when Britain was cool?

Johnny Yesno

BlodwynPig

Dont fret, just frot with your frat and have a laqer

touchingcloth

Apart from Johnson using it a week or so ago, I've never heard anyone use it. Have people really started trying to work it into conversations? And because they admire him? What sort of company do you keep?

I have heard it used on radio phone ins and read it in Facebook posts. I have come to the inescapable conclusion that this country fucking loves Boris. He's the perfect fit. Made for each other.

NJ Uncut

Haven't got a scoobie what yer on aboot and don't think I need to know

(closes self off from world)

Icehaven

Quote from: solidified gruel merchant on September 19, 2019, 09:25:44 AM
I have heard it used on radio phone ins and read it in Facebook posts. I have come to the inescapable conclusion that this country fucking loves Boris. He's the perfect frit. Made for each other.

Hypocrite!

Brian Freeze

Thanks for the warning, although constantly thinking about not saying it does mean I will probably be blurting it out inadvertently quite soon. Any tips on how to avoid doing this?

Cuellar

Brian Freeze

Do people still put them down their trousers?

It's one of those words that thick as mince cunts hear their Tory heroes using and then co-opt it to convince themselves they are part of the ruling class whilst they get robbed blind.

studpuppet

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 19, 2019, 09:09:33 AM
Apart from Johnson using it a week or so ago, I've never heard anyone use it. Have people really started trying to work it into conversations? And because they admire him? What sort of company do you keep?

It's use wasn't for the public, more for the MPs in Parliament - he's tying himself to Thatcher who used it when she forgot herself and descended into local Lincolnshire dialect words. Dennis Skinner used it on May last year and it's started to be used in parliament again, is all.

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on September 19, 2019, 09:46:29 AM
It's one of those words that thick as mince cunts hear their Tory heroes using and then co-opt it to convince themselves they are part of the ruling class whilst they get robbed blind.

Exactly. They watched jealously as corbyns name was chanted at concerts and football matches.
"Why can't I have a hero?" They wailed. And then there was Boris. Plummy voice, stupid hair, ill-fitting suits and an ability to portray himself as an underdog despite all the facts.

madhair60

I say "frit" quite a lot because I find it funny. "ooh, he frit me then". I'll stop if Boris does it

Quote from: studpuppet on September 19, 2019, 09:54:37 AM
It's use wasn't for the public, more for the MPs in Parliament - he's tying himself to Thatcher who used it when she forgot herself and descended into local Lincolnshire dialect words. Dennis Skinner used it on May last year and it's started to be used in parliament again, is all.

Well no, that isn't 'all' otherwise I probably wouldn't have bothered to make this posts bemoaning the increasing use of the word by the general public.

Buelligan

Quote from: studpuppet on September 19, 2019, 09:54:37 AM

I don't think it's only from Lincolnshire, my grandfather used it in normal conversation regularly and he would certainly never have willingly come from Lincolnshire. 

BlodwynPig

Quote from: solidified gruel merchant on September 19, 2019, 09:25:44 AM
I have heard it used on radio phone ins and read it in Facebook posts. I have come to the inescapable conclusion that this country fucking loves Boris. He's the perfect fit. Made for each other.

They love collective idiocy and pack mentality

BlodwynPig

Ps. What does it mean? Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way

Buelligan

Fritter has nowt to do with frit, as I assume you know full well pig.

Here are some impact fritters on the dark side of the Moon.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on September 19, 2019, 10:36:58 AM
Ps. What does it mean? Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way

It's a way of saying frightened.
"Boris' vacant stare as he came at me trousers down frit the life out of me."

the

Where I first heard it

Ironically involving a reluctance to squeeze yourself into a narrow tunnel full of shit that will likely kill you

FredNurke

Quote from: Buelligan on September 19, 2019, 10:34:14 AM
I don't think it's only from Lincolnshire, my grandfather used it in normal conversation regularly and he would certainly never have willingly come from Lincolnshire.

The English Dialect Dictionary suggests that it was concentrated in the (East) Midlands, but it was attested all the way across southern England from Devon to Kent a hundred years ago. I suppose it will only have survived in a subset of the places where people continued to say 'fright' instead of 'frighten'.

timebug

My dad used it once in a while and he came from Staffordshire. And a bloke I once worked with used it, and he was from Chesterfield.

TrenterPercenter

Can I just say I have never said the word frit (and yes this is just an attempt to make you all feel inferior).

PS - OP it isn't Johnson's word it is a "famous" quote from zombie Thatcher he has has just recycled it appear to give the faragists the horn/

Cerys