Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:17:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Link's Re-Awakening - Are you beach body ready?

Started by Kelvin, September 19, 2019, 12:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

Slowdown is a bummer but I am really enjoying this.

I actually like the scrolling. They applied it carefully, and it helps orientation around the world even more (as you can see that the first dungeon is right beneath Ulrira's house, for example).

I always get lost right before the Angler's Dungeon. Just give us a hint that you're supposed to go to the Animal Village and I might spend more time looking for that one bush that opens up the entrance to it, arseholes. The world layout makes the player think "oh, I'm probably supposed to have the hookshot before trying to go there".

Twed

I read a few things to getting my head around this frame rate business. Seems it drops from 60 to 30 whenever it's loading the next area, even if you're not necessarily moving. That explains a lot.

As for why they've not managed to find a solution to this, I couldn't imagine. I'm out of my depth. It's fucking awful though and is spoiling an excellent game for me. I'm going to sit it out for a while.

Kelvin

Quote from: The Boston Crab on September 22, 2019, 01:49:09 PM
I read a few things to getting my head around this frame rate business. Seems it drops from 60 to 30 whenever it's loading the next area, even if you're not necessarily moving. That explains a lot.

It's not just when loading an area though - although that's when it's worst. Just walking through the 2D sections or through a town seems to produce a couple of stutters.

QuoteAs for why they've not managed to find a solution to this, I couldn't imagine. I'm out of my depth. It's fucking awful though and is spoiling an excellent game for me. I'm going to sit it out for a while.

I've started to get used to, after playing for a few hours. I notice it much less now, thankfully.

Twed

Quote from: Kelvin on September 22, 2019, 02:29:16 PM
It's not just when loading an area though - although that's when it's worst. Just walking through the 2D sections or through a town seems to produce a couple of stutters.
Because it is LOADING AN AREA

Kelvin

madhair60

Quote from: Twed on September 21, 2019, 10:58:45 PM
I actually like the scrolling. They applied it carefully, and it helps orientation around the world even more (as you can see that the first dungeon is right beneath Ulrira's house, for example).

They've done a really good job with it, and the depth of field/blur effect retains the feeling of not knowing exactly what you'll see next.

Remake's fucking good lads

Kelvin

I AM really enjoying this, and more every day. Even the frame-rate issue is bothering me much less now, as I've gotten more used to it.

However...

Is anyone else finding it hard going back to this classic Zelda structure / gameplay in a post-Breath of the Wild world? I know it shouldn't be - they're totally different styles of game, and that should actually work in it's favour - but it feels so restrictive going back to a much more linear game, with much less opportunity to explore at will. 

It just feels odd to be constantly told which area you have to visit next, and which dungeon you need to complete, when Breath of the Wild is the very pinnacle of games that let you do whatever you want, whenever you want.

I know this isn't really rational, considering how much I still love other linear games and considering that Link's Awakening is such a carefully crafted world, with plenty of secrets and opportunities to explore. I just can't shake the feeling that, in that one, very significant way, BotW casts a long shadow over these older Zelda games now. That freedom to explore is just on a whole other scale in that game.       

popcorn

Sounds great to me. I found BoTW meaningless, directionless, nothingy. Give me a carefully authored sequence designed for Maximum Fun any day.

Kelvin

Quote from: popcorn on September 23, 2019, 01:44:55 AM
Sounds great to me. I found BoTW meaningless, directionless, nothingy. Give me a carefully authored sequence designed for Maximum Fun any day.

Well, as the classic Zelda structure goes, this is shaping up to be one of the most refined and well paced, so you'd no doubt love it. It's basically Link to the Past, with a more low-key, melancholy story.

Timothy

Quote from: popcorn on September 23, 2019, 01:44:55 AM

Great to read that there are other people in the world who didn't like BOTW. The shrines were awesome and the world beautiful but the game was basically storyless Zelda in a world filled with Ubisoft mechanics (fetch quests, Towers, same enemies over and over again, collect a lot of Koroks for nothing). Hope BOTW 2 is gonna be more Zelda again.

madhair60

Ubisoft mechanics?

I count one that's vaguely similar in the towers, which take seconds to climb and don't fill your map with icons, just geography.

Also, Ubisoft as a pejorative? They're great.

Kelvin

Quote from: Timothy on September 23, 2019, 06:40:06 AM
Great to read that there are other people in the world who didn't like BOTW. The shrines were awesome and the world beautiful but the game was basically storyless Zelda in a world filled with Ubisoft mechanics (fetch quests, Towers, same enemies over and over again, collect a lot of Koroks for nothing). Hope BOTW 2 is gonna be more Zelda again.

There were quite a few people in the BotW thread who didn't like, or were quite mixed on it. Obviously it's the best game ever made, and I think they're crazy, but these sideshow freaks do exist.

madhair60

Doesn't collecting Koroks expand your inventory, etc?

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on September 23, 2019, 12:41:30 PM
Doesn't collecting Koroks expand your inventory, etc?

"The weapons break too easily, what if I run out?"

"Have you been collecting korok seeds to expand your inventory?"

"No, they're pointless."

Take that, hypothetical gamer.

madhair60

as someone who originally complained about the weapon breaking in BOTW, I found that combat is so sidelined and weapons so plentiful that I don't think I ever ran out.

Twed

I thought BotW was a good game, but I do prefer Zelda-style Zeldas and Link's Awakening has reminded me of that. There is something beautiful about the design of the linear progression and the perfectly-devised dungeons. Lovely little set-pieces.

Consignia

I still reckon a link between worlds is an underated gem. It's probably what I'd what from links awakening, a remix of an old classic.

madhair60

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on September 23, 2019, 03:41:10 PM
It's also better than LttP

Why is it you like Link's Awakening so much, but not LttP? The shared DNA between those two games is more obvious than any other Zelda games I've played. Awakening has similar dungeons, similar puzzles, most of the same items and enemies, even the same quest structure and pacing. The only real differences are the Dark World and the different story focus.

If anything, I actually find Awakening a bit too much like LttP, as it repeats so many of the same beats and ideas. More than other games in the series, I'm surprised you could like one and not the other.

popcorn

colacentral what if you're just playing it wrong?

popcorn

You accused me of playing BoTW wrong, you see. I still wake up screaming in frustration. So now I'm bullying you.

madhair60

Quote from: Kelvin on September 23, 2019, 05:36:08 PM
Why is it you like Link's Awakening so much, but not LttP? The shared DNA between those two games is more obvious than any other Zelda games I've played. Awakening has similar dungeons, similar puzzles, most of the same items and enemies, even the same quest structure and pacing. The only real differences are the Dark World and the different story focus.

If anything, I actually find Awakening a bit too much like LttP, as it repeats so many of the same beats and ideas. More than other games in the series, I'm surprised you could like one and not the other.

I've talked about it on here before I think, but I love how compact Awakening is. No second map, no scrolling (until now, obvs), every single individual screen has something to appreciate or discover. By comparison I find Link to the Past meandering, dull and obtuse in a way I have yet to click with.

I'm thinking of going back to it now that it's on my Switch, though.

Edit: Also, I played Awakening before I played LttP which I only got to play on an emulator, which makes it an inherently more disposable experience - if I'd played LttP first I'd probably feel differently. I'm never going to realistically shit-talk it (if people think a game is amazing, it is amazing. Those are the rules.). It's like how I am not so crazy about Super Mario World, but would never actively call it bad or anything stupid like that

Pdine

If you haven't tried it (and you have the download version) check whether it's installed on the internal storage. Doing so makes it a little bit more performant, while still not perfect. You can move it by archiving it, removing the SD card (with Switch turned off), redownloading, then reinserting SD.

All found it improves the duration of the wobbles but not the frequency. Defo better though. Hopefully they can find the antiretrovirals and give it a new lease of life.

Twed

The bosses in this have been piss-easy. Apart from the end boss they are all first-time kills (and even the end boss is at worst "oh I remember how to do this bit now and can easily do it on try #2").

Kelvin

Got all the way to dungeon 8, then restarted because I realised I couldn't get the best ending and wanted it for my main file. Worked my way back to dungeon 7 over the weekend.

I've really come to love the game as it's opened up. It feels very restrictive at the start, especially after BotW, but as you unlock more items, it's much more interesting to explore and experiment. I still wish the dungeon order could be slightly more open ended, though. There are several places you can get dungeon keys or crucial items early, but the game still prevents you from entering them out of sequence.

Quote from: madhair60 on September 23, 2019, 07:04:38 PM
I've talked about it on here before I think, but I love how compact Awakening is. No second map, no scrolling (until now, obvs), every single individual screen has something to appreciate or discover. By comparison I find Link to the Past meandering, dull and obtuse in a way I have yet to click with.

I'm thinking of going back to it now that it's on my Switch, though.

Edit: Also, I played Awakening before I played LttP which I only got to play on an emulator, which makes it an inherently more disposable experience - if I'd played LttP first I'd probably feel differently. I'm never going to realistically shit-talk it (if people think a game is amazing, it is amazing. Those are the rules.). It's like how I am not so crazy about Super Mario World, but would never actively call it bad or anything stupid like that
Having now played through almost the entire game twice, I must admit, I do agree that Link's Awakening benefits from being such a dense, well paced game compared to almost every other entry in the series. There's almost no fat at all - it's just the perfect loop of exploring the overworld for exactly the right amount of time, then doing a relatively short dungeon that doesn't overstay it's welcome. Eagle Tower might be the one dungeon where I felt it was wasting my time a tiny bit, but that's the only one.

I still don't agree that LttP is dull or flabby - I can't decide which of the two games I prefer - but Awakening definitely has better pacing, no question.

madhair60

In the original game I'm almost certain you can break sequence after dungeon 3.