Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:01:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Seasonal Deficit Disorder - Summer

Started by Puce Moment, September 19, 2019, 01:00:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

I can't imagine a climate, beyond proper desolate desert climate, be it sand or snow, that would dissuade me from living somewhere. But surely British climate is perfection as its never too cold or too hot.

grassbath

I sympathise totally and have had this since I was a teenager. In the summer I become less mentally stable and my alcoholism flares up. Waking up and the day is already sitting on your chest, heat and light creeping in through the curtains. Not going out and feeling inherently shamed, a sweaty recluse, the day wasted. Going out and the endless day knackering you and town is full of cunts. Anxiety compounded by the wearing of shorts. The colourless 9-5 continuing despite everything. A sort of perpetual screen glare.

Winter at least you can wrap up in a big fuck off coat and scarf and squirrel away and cook yourself a stew. In winter you're grateful for your house. In summer you don't know whether to be in or out of it.

Attila

Quote from: Ham Bap on September 19, 2019, 02:35:07 PM
I hate the summer and generally any hot sunny days.
I'm at my happiest when it's windy/raining sideways and winter.
Snow is a godsend too.

I've often dreamt about becoming, instead of a storm chaser, but a winter chaser and just travelling around the world and living wherever it's the worst of winter.

One of the issues with hot weather is that we generally live where it's very cold so houses are built to keep it as hot as fucking possible, also with no air conditioning. Summer therefore becomes fucking unbearable.

I always feel a pressure to do stuff outdoors too when it's sunny. I'd rather just sit at home, thanks.

Anyway it's coming up to the next 6 months of the year, praying for a harsh winter.

Huzzah, this.

I'm also in HE, so summers are the quiet time for research and conferences for me -- but I tend to have problems with depression, the heat & humidity, the light, &c all summer. and consequently get very little done. Then uni starts up again, and of course there's no time for research then.

It's a shame, because the worse the weather gets, the easier it is for me to work. I look forward to the autumn solstice because then it's the lovely lovely slide into the longer nights and colder, greyer weather. I used to be a night owl and prefer to work at night, but circumstances over the past decade or so have forced me into becoming a very early riser, which I hate passionately -- if I could actually sort out even one aspect of my current schedule it would be a life-changer. Not to be, though. So life is mostly a matter of just existing, although it's a little easier in autumn/winter.

No particularly bad associations with summer itself. I used to love playing outside all summer long as a kid (grew up in the US, so summer break stretched from early June through to early September), enjoyed working with my dogs and the sheep when I had my little farm. It's just the heat and humidity do my head in.  I think they only things now in summer is feeling trapped in the house upstairs when I work from home because Mr Attila works from home regularly. But that's a whole different issue to the weather.

But yeah, the past few years at the university have had some horrible things happen (three years of bullying, all supported by senior management against me, for example) that had this shit happened in the warmer, brighter months, I would have off'd myself by now. Some of it did happen in summer (mostly because the harrassment was relentless), but the worst of it was in the winter, and I honestly think that because I prefer the dark, gloom, rain, whatever, that seriously helped me to get through it especially as I had zero support from any corner.

buttgammon

Quote from: Attila on September 21, 2019, 09:47:30 AM
Huzzah, this.

I'm also in HE, so summers are the quiet time for research and conferences for me -- but I tend to have problems with depression, the heat & humidity, the light, &c all summer. and consequently get very little done. Then uni starts up again, and of course there's no time for research then.

This is exactly it (well, I'm doing a PhD so not exactly but pretty close). The conferences started at the end of the previous academic year and after them, I spent the summer too depressed to really work; it's only in the last few weeks that I've got back to any level of productivity with research, but teaching starts again this week.

Flatulent Fox

I love the brief and welcome few days of summer.

Well I might join this well funded climate change campaign we're all being encouraged to get on board with.
But only if the West of Scotland gets 50% MORE Summer because we need the climate changed here more than ever.

Now this can be helped by aiming all those giant fucking wind farms that have been shat out all over the place at the clouds to blow them away,but it will need a lot of power as most of the ones they made don't work,or explode when they turn them on.
Or they could tow away the bigger clouds and dump them over europe.