Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:12:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What is going on with the PRESENTATION STYLE of BBC News at the moment

Started by TrenterPercenter, September 19, 2019, 06:02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrenterPercenter

Back when I was a young scrotypoos, sometimes after puffing on a reefer (Cameron stylee) I would regularly catch a glimpse of stuff like the BBC.  In this state of stoned bliss I remember how bizarre things like MOTD and especially the BBC news appeared.  It would appear very weird, overly emotive and acted, not in a weird paranoid they are actually lizard way, but a more what fuck is this drivel way and why are they talking and behaving that way, errr, way.

I rarely watch the BBC now but at the moment i've been catching glimpses of it and have started having similar feelings about it, this time sans-jazz cabbage. Is it me or is everyone a failed autocue away from going postal on the crew.  All the women presenters are either overly stern brash Anne Robinson clones or overly enthusiastic and borderline manic prozac mums.   The male presenters appear to all have only one personality type "serious dad".  Serious dad rarely breaks a smile even when prozac mum desperately tries to improve their chemistry with some cheeky prozac mum banter.  It's 50-50 whether serious dad acknowledges any prozac mum banter but if he does it is only through patronising smirks as he glares at his viewers with eyes that say "I hate you all". 

A general setup seems to be old groomed git and youngish clinically attractive Tory wife desperately learning empathy at gun point "now give us your banter Suzannah, laaaaavely, now smoulder that's it, now old git! I need a look that says i'm tempted but I told Cassandra I'd never cheat again, that's it, hold it, hold, come on old git this woman is a harlot how dare she introduce banter when you are doing the incredibly important job of reading words in a suit! laaaaavely"

Honestly what is going on with this shit show at the moment, it has the lion share of the British audience, just stop being such weirdos.  Are they intentionally trying to make it shit so Murdoch can take over?

the

With a headline like that I thought you were going to come in with more specific editorial criticisms than some vague stuff about what people look like and their presenting styles.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: the on September 19, 2019, 06:12:38 PM
With a headline like that I thought you were going to come in with more specific editorial criticisms than some vague stuff about what people look like and their presenting styles.

Sorry I didn't title it properly enough for you, hopefully this hasn't ruined your evening.

Pdine

It's a small point, but the news bulletins in podcast form that they do seem to have shifted suddenly to a post-John Craven Newsround-style, which irks me. Even irksomer, they end with something like: 'Feel free to check back any time!' I will, yes. You're a file on the internet that periodically updates. I feel no social awkwardness over this act of downloading, but cheers.

TrenterPercenter

At least three of these men are the same person and one that got stuck in the machine so came out slightly different.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It is still disproportionately white and conversative and not by accident.

Some of the reporters have that Gove/Turnbull look of a school prefect who has skipped from being 17 to being 45 almost immediately.

The political culture where genuine diversity of opinion is replaced by a narrow window within which there's an even narrower window labelled 'moderate' is also both deliberate and a natural consequence of employing via nepotism and establishment pathways.

As Chomsky pointed out. 'I'm sure you believe all the things you believe, all I' m saying is, if you didn't, you wouldn't be sitting where you are right now'.

That look on Marr's face where he realises his privilege for the first time in his entire existence is just priceless.

steve98

There's a black newsreader on the 9 o clock news (Clive something) who randomly emphasises certain words that shouldn't be emphasised. I no longer watch the 9 o clock news cos he does my head in

Sebastian Cobb

Kussenberg's too busy bullying and doxxing 'labour activists' to make sure people are doing their jobs.

Buelligan

I never watch the BBC News.  That doesn't make anyone who does inferior to me, not for that reason.

Twit 2

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on September 19, 2019, 07:18:15 PM
It is still disproportionately white and conversative and not by accident.

Some of the reporters have that Gove/Turnbull look of a school prefect who has skipped from being 17 to being 45 almost immediately.

The political culture where genuine diversity of opinion is replaced by a narrow window within which there's an even narrower window labelled 'moderate' is also both deliberate and a natural consequence of employing via nepotism and establishment pathways.

As Chomsky pointed out. 'I'm sure you believe all the things you believe, all I' m saying is, if you didn't, you wouldn't be sitting where you are right now'.

That look on Marr's face where he realises his privilege for the first time in his entire existence is just priceless.

https://youtu.be/lLcpcytUnWU if anyone hasn't seen it. Stopped watching bbc news years ago so I didn't chew my fists off. Need them to punch the steering wheel when I'm listening to radio and forget to switch to cd on the hour.

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: steve98 on September 19, 2019, 08:04:52 PM
There's a black newsreader on the 9 o clock news (Clive something) who randomly emphasises certain words that shouldn't be emphasised.

As a huge fan of William Shatner's delivery, I've got to watch this chap now.

Cerys

There's a black newsreader on the 9 o clock news (Clive something) who randomly emphasises certain words that shouldn't be emphasised. I no longer watch the 9 o clock news cos he does my head in

He's obviously trying to get a message through to his family without his captors realising.

the

Didn't Disgusting Bliss mention that Chris Morris was mates with Clive Myrie in Bristol in the mid-to-late 80s?

Icehaven

I'm sure it's probably just the timing of when I get up for work, but every time I put BBC news on in the mornings it seems to be roughly 50% news, 50% sport. They even have a special woman who joins them on the couch and talks about it for at least 10-15 minutes. Every day. It's deeply bugging because she'll always try and make a link between whatever they were talking about before (Brexit, famine, genocide) and whatever the first sport thing she's got to talk about is, which has the effect of making her look like some deranged sporting obsessive who has to wheel every conversation around to sport no matter what.

Phil_A

I have developed an intense loathing of Fiona Bruce and her perpetual smirk that always seems to be juuuust on the verge of breaking out, no matter what the headline is. She must know she's doing it which just makes me dislike her even more.

TrenterPercenter

Yeah Fiona's smirk is a good example.

There are all these little affectations they are doing to "get noticed" or "add value" when really they just need to read the news.  It really does feel like they are all in a little bubble communicating to the rest of the nation at safe distant.  They are terribly unrepresentative of anyone not isn't an aspiring middle manager and says things like "Labour appointed wrong brother with Ed Milliband as David looked better in as suit, that is why I am voting for the Tories"

Cuellar

I go to a gym that pipes in BBC News 24 on their tellies, god knows why, probably to get people angry and PUMPED UP, so I absorb a lot of it by osmosis. What's the deal with 'Beyond 100 Days' shit - it looks like CNN or Fox but done by a pudgy Brit, gesticulating, editorialising, shouting around. Fuck this.

idunnosomename

yeah i couldnt get radio 4 to come out of a hotel room TV the other day and then I thought I'd try news 24 and that nonsense came out. wtf. like Fox and Friends. Sad! etc

the

Quote from: Cuellar on September 20, 2019, 11:11:42 AMWhat's the deal with 'Beyond 100 Days' shit - it looks like CNN or Fox but done by a pudgy Brit, gesticulating, editorialising, shouting around.

It started as 100 Days, a show to cover the first hundred days of Donalado's presidency. But it continued after that with a clever amendment to the title.

I think it's also made for BBC World News or BBC America or somesuch, which is probably why it seems a bit CNN. There's usually a bit where the US anchor fucks off for five minutes, presumably because they have to go to adverts, so the UK anchor takes over for a bit and switches to a distinctly un-presidential story about how the council still haven't cleaned up the dogshit in the park.

Cuellar

BlodwynPig

He's awful.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 19, 2019, 06:02:07 PM
Back when I was a young scrotypoos, sometimes after puffing on a reefer (Cameron stylee) I would regularly catch a glimpse of stuff like the BBC.  In this state of stoned bliss I remember how bizarre things like MOTD and especially the BBC news appeared.  It would appear very weird, overly emotive and acted, not in a weird paranoid they are actually lizard way, but a more what fuck is this drivel way and why are they talking and behaving that way, errr, way.

You mean like The Day Today?

I don't think that was the weed, Trents.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Twit 2 on September 19, 2019, 11:15:54 PM
https://youtu.be/lLcpcytUnWU if anyone hasn't seen it. Stopped watching bbc news years ago so I didn't chew my fists off. Need them to punch the steering wheel when I'm listening to radio and forget to switch to cd on the hour.

Chomsky eloquently stating what i've been saying all along about the BBC